April 16, 2019 , Auburn Hills, Mich. – The drag-oriented, street-legal 2019 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320 is now National Hot Rod Association (NHRA) approved. The Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320 was recently given the green light to be modified for competition in NHRA Stock and Super Stock Sportsman class competition for the 2019 season.
Named for the quarter-mile distance (1,320 feet), the Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320 is powered by the 392 HEMI® V-8 engine that delivers 485 horsepower and 475 lb.-ft. of torque. With a quarter-mile elapsed time (E.T.) of 11.70 seconds at 115 miles per hour (mph), the showroom-stock Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320 is the fastest naturally aspirated, street-legal muscle car available.
The Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320 can be modified for competition in NHRA according to Stock and Super Stock class rules. The vehicle will feature a class weight break of 8.72 and carry a minimum weight of 3,400 lbs. Contestants intending to compete at an NHRA event must meet any and all rules and regulations for the category they intend to enter.
A new “Angry Bee” interpretation of the legendary Dodge Super Bee logo marks the vehicle’s front fenders, instrument panel, headlamps, instrument gauge cluster startup splash screen and key fob. The street-to-strip muscle car is beginning to arrive in FCA US dealerships.
“With the new 2019 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320 hitting showrooms, we know it’s just a short time before the ‘Angry Bee’ is buzzing the quarter-mile in NHRA and NMCA competition,” said Steve Beahm, Head of Passenger Car Brands – Dodge, SRT, Chrysler and FIAT, FCA – North America. “The 1320 brings the drag racing technology we launched on the limited-production Demon and pairs it with the proven 392 HEMI engine to create a blank canvas for the serious grassroots drag racer who may have one car that needs to do double duty — both at the drag strip and on the street.”
The Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320 is approved to be modified to race in hotly contested NHRA Stock Eliminator and Super Stock competition. In Stock Eliminator, the Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320 fits directly into the “B” Stock category, with competitors able to move up and down to run in the “A” or “C” Stock classes.
The Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320 can compete in the SS/FA class in Super Stock, but is also eligible for other specific classifications such as SS/EA or SS/GA. Grassroots NHRA Sportsman racers will have more flexibility and opportunities to compete and win in a variety of Stock and Super Stock categories by adjusting the NHRA minimum vehicle weight.
The Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320 was first announced last year at the 2018 Dodge Mile-High NHRA Nationals near Denver. NHRA star and Dodge brand ambassador Leah Pritchett commemorated the vehicle’s unveiling by carrying a special “Angry Bee”-themed paint scheme on her Top Fuel dragster, which she drove all the way to the event win.
The Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320 is also approved to race without modification in National Muscle Car Association (NMCA) events, making it a true street/strip vehicle. NMCA features both heads-up and bracket racing, one of the most popular forms of drag racing.
Created for the Quarter-mile
Dodge//SRT engineers added drag-specific components and technologies that allow the Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320 to hit both the street and the drag strip and deliver quick launches when the Christmas tree goes green at the quarter-mile. The Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320 features include:
- TorqueFlite 8HP70 eight-speed automatic transmission – required equipment for the R/T Scat Pack 1320, replacing the standard manual transmission on the Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
- TransBrake – locks the output shaft of the automatic transmission to hold the car stationary before a standing start
- Torque Reserve – works in conjunction with the TransBrake and Launch Control by managing fuel flow to cylinders and controlling spark advance or retard to balance engine rpm and torque to maximize power delivery and launch performance
- Nexen SUR4G Drag Spec 275/40R20 street-legal drag radials – all-new specially developed tires that deliver exceptional grip and consistency at the drag strip with minimal burnout preparation
- SRT-tuned three-mode Adaptive Damping Suspension (ADS) electronically re-tuned for the Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320
- Includes Drag Mode that, when engaged, optimizes weight transfer to the rear for best launch traction
- Standard interior configuration has driver’s seat only to help reduce weight by approximately 114 pounds; front passenger seat and rear seat are available individually as $1 options
- Performance-tuned asymmetrical limited-slip differential with 3.09 final drive
- Extreme-duty 41-spline rear axle half shafts adopted from the Challenger SRT Demon
- Line Lock – engages the front brakes to hold the Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320 stationary, but leaves the rear wheels free for a burnout to heat up and clean the rear tires
- Launch Assist – uses wheel speed sensors to watch for driveline-damaging wheel hop at launch and, in milliseconds, modifies the engine torque to regain full grip
- Launch Control – controls tire slip during straight-line acceleration
- Low Gloss Black 20 x 9.5-inch aluminum-forged wheels with knurled bead seats to minimize tire slip on the wheel
- Brembo High-performance Brake Package with four-piston calipers
In drag strip testing compared with a Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack, the 2019 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320 shaves .3 seconds off the quarter-mile time to 11.70 seconds at 115 mph and cuts .3 seconds off the 0-60 mph acceleration time to 3.8 seconds.
The 2019 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320 Package adds $3,995 to the Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $38,995 for the Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack. The mandatory automatic transmission adds $1,595 and the destination charge adds $1,495.
Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320 Owners Receive Complimentary One-year Membership in NHRA and NMCA
Dodge is making it easy for Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320 owners to spend a day at the races. Owners will receive complimentary, one-year memberships in the NHRA and NMCA for the 2019 season.
Vehicle ownership will be verified by calling the SRT Concierge (1-800-998-1110) for memberships to be activated. NHRA membership benefits include:
- One-year subscription to National Dragster
- NHRA Rule Book
- Access to a membership hospitality center at every NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series event
- $10 off tickets to select NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series events
- 10 percent off NHRA merchandise from NitroMall and NitroMall.com
- Official NHRA membership card, collector’s pin and decal
NMCA membership includes:
- Complimentary entry to all six NMCA events to compete in the Dodge/Mopar HEMI Shootout category
- Onsite drag racing instruction for first-time participants
- Special parking inside the pit area
- NMCA membership card and decals
- One-year subscription to Fastest Street Car Magazine
Dodge also recently launched the all-new 1320 Club, which gives members the opportunity to show off their official drag strip accomplishments with pride and challenge themselves and fellow racers to best their times to earn a top spot on either the Stock or Modified 1320 Club Leaderboard. The 1320 Club lives on Dodge Garage, the brand’s digital content hub for racing and car enthusiasts.
Dodge//SRT offers a complete lineup of performance vehicles that stand out in their own segments. Dodge is America’s mainstream performance brand and SRT is positioned as the ultimate performance halo of the Dodge brand, together creating a complete and balanced performance brand with one vision and one voice.
For more than 100 years, the Dodge brand has carried on the spirit of brothers John and Horace Dodge, who founded the brand in 1914. Their influence continues today. New for 2019, the Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye is possessed by the Demon. Its 797-horsepower supercharged HEMI® high-output engine makes it the most powerful, quickest and fastest muscle car reaching 0-60 miles per hour (mph) in 3.4 seconds and the fastest GT production car with a ¼-mile elapsed time (ET) of 10.8 seconds at 131 mph. It also reaches a new top speed of 203 mph. Joining the Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye is the 2019 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat with its more powerful 717-horsepower engine, the Challenger R/T Scat Pack Widebody, which features fender flares from the SRT Hellcat Widebody and adds 3.5 inches of width to Scat Pack’s footprint, as well as and the new Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320. Infused with exclusive drag strip technology from the iconic Dodge Challenger SRT Demon, the Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320 is a drag-oriented, street-legal muscle car and a blank canvas for the serious grassroots drag racer. The 2019 Dodge Durango SRT, America’s fastest, most powerful and most capable three-row SUV with a best-in-class tow rating of 8,700 lbs. fills out the brands’ performance lineup. These visceral performance models join a 2019 brand lineup that includes the Durango, Grand Caravan, Journey, Charger and Challenger — a showroom that offers performance at every price point.