HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-19-2022, 09:59 AM   #31
Brett C
VIP Member

Liked 845 Times in 193 Posts
Default Re: Russ linke

That guy always does that **** on this forum! Should be used to it by now.
Shows up randomly and calls out people in the 3rd person and then disappears. No one know who the f it is! Just ignore the idiot!
Brett C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 11:07 AM   #32
davidhuff

Liked 120 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett C View Post
That guy always does that **** on this forum! Should be used to it by now.
Shows up randomly and calls out people in the 3rd person and then disappears. No one know who the f it is! Just ignore the idiot!
I agree 100%
davidhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 09-19-2022, 11:39 AM   #33
SBillinson

Liked 166 Times in 47 Posts

This thread needs to die.

The guy had a thin head gasket and got bounced. It's not like he had a super stock engine in the car.

The last I knew, 0.050" decked from a set of small block heads gave you a point of compression. He had less than a third of that, maybe a quarter. Would it make a difference? Maybe, but it's not worth a tenth. Besides, how many heads up runs does anyone see in eliminations? Sure, he was running class, but the guy races a lot. He has no need to cheat, especially at the most obvious place to check..

For those who don't know, he's a good guy and a excellent driver. He comes from a racing family of nice people.

Move on.
Old 09-19-2022, 12:25 PM   #34
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,447 Times in 1,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBillinson View Post

The guy had a thin head gasket and got bounced. It's not like he had a super stock engine in the car.

The last I knew, 0.050" decked from a set of small block heads gave you a point of compression. He had less than a third of that, maybe a quarter. Would it make a difference? Maybe, but it's not worth a tenth. Besides, how many heads up runs does anyone see in eliminations? Sure, he was running class, but the guy races a lot. He has no need to cheat, especially at the most obvious place to check..

For those who don't know, he's a good guy and a excellent driver. He comes from a racing family of nice people.

Move on.
I disagree with just about everything in this one, right from the top.

As I said, I don't know the man. I'm sure he's a great guy to have a beer with after hours..But what does that have to do with the subject matter?
In case some missed it, this car and driver has been involved in several heads up runs in the last few years..Some with great drivers with good engines, that were in contention for National and Divisional championships. He was able to run away from most of them.
Now the driver can say he didn't put those gaskets on the engine, and the engine can say he didn't do it. The fact remains. Someone did it and it's no accident.

I'm really surprised at the nonchalant attitude of some here. This kind of thing would have been looked at quite differently under Farmer, Greg X, and Marty Barrett.

This saga is not going away yet, nor should it.

BTW, S... I think you ought to recheck your math.
Old 09-19-2022, 12:38 PM   #35
Stan Weiss

Liked 545 Times in 291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBillinson View Post

Move on.

A 4" diameter hole is 0.205926 cc's per 0.001" of thickness

Stan
Stan Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 12:46 PM   #36
Cameron Collins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Could the head gaskets been packaged wrong from the dealer?
Cameron Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 12:56 PM   #37
Doug Hoven

Liked 752 Times in 146 Posts

As much as it sucks to see someone, in fact more than one genuinely all around good person to get disqualified at a race, I think it was a very important move from a tech standpoint. All of the cars that found there way into the teardown barn this past weekend at Maple Grove are cars that have a reputation of being very fast cars. It may have been good practice to tear down all of the class winners, but the time and manpower wasn't present to be able to manage that kind of operation. It is important to see that the racers aren't the only ones noticing which cars are going very fast during heads ups, while staying in the middle of the pack at all other times during competition. Hopefully this serves as a bit of a reminder to some that they can and will be torn down at any point at a race, and that tech hasn't completely backed off like some may have thought. Even though it takes a trained eye along with time and effort, It would be comforting to continue to see more random teardowns in the future, maybe not even just for engines. Safety, Electronics, etc.
Old 09-19-2022, 12:57 PM   #38
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 280 Times in 150 Posts

Not sure how the incorrect thickness head gaskets got put on that engine BUT we always mike our gaskets to get the thinnest gasket we could find to get every last bit of performance and we would end up using those that were the thinnest AS LONG AS IT WAS THE CORRECT thickness----who did or didn't measure them ,who installed them etc. makes no difference--- they were the wrong thickness PERIOD--- so the driver has to suffer the consequences, you can go back up the food chain if you want to "warn" people or put people on notice about repercussions for future infractions but that doesn't take away from the fact that he is/was wrong---the penalty was expulsion--- FED 387
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 09-19-2022, 01:06 PM   #39
Jeff Niceswanger

Liked 839 Times in 293 Posts

I know exactly what 4 or 5 CC's are worth. I spent all one summer trying to figure out where it went. I won't get into slinging around where the boo boo came from, but at Edgewater one year we sprung a water leak. Dave Layer was our traveling buddy ( Good Lord do I ever miss that guy) and we gave him both heads to find where the water was coming from and fix them/it. He called me the following Monday and said "its just a spring pocket. Its fixed. You want me to fix these CC's while I'm at it"?. I answered "I just got that motor back from freshening over the winter (Edgewater was the first week of August). He said, "Well their off 4 and 5 CC's". Upon fixing them the tenth I had hunted all year instantly came back. I don't know how much the gasket infraction truly was, but I know what 5 cc equates to on our 993.

Last edited by Jeff Niceswanger; 09-19-2022 at 01:17 PM.
Jeff Niceswanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 09-19-2022, 01:18 PM   #40
BigBlockBill

Liked 97 Times in 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken DragPak View Post
Just think it's funny when something was done wrong in an engine it's the drivers fault, if they got bounced for a suspension or rollbar/cage it the builders fault. Why is no one talking about the engine builder
In the end it is the responsibility of the car owner/driver to know what is in or on ther engine since it's them that will be impacted by the violation.
BigBlockBill is offline   Reply With Quote