HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 10-14-2021, 09:31 AM   #71
Randy Wells

Liked 963 Times in 297 Posts
Default Re: Did this just happen no generators?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireSale View Post
100 amps is an old house with no electric heat. Our 60's construction home is all electric and does fine on 150 amps. The dryer is a pair of 120s and I can weld off it OK. Those 70-80 amp Tesla chargers are dedicated 240v deals. Overnight chargers are something like 20 amp and serve most users. Those are nice cars. There were several on the highway through the mountains over the weekend including one entered in competition at Renegade Raceway.Didn't see any massive charging setup. Did see a motor home with a large solar array...
Those overnight chargers work fine when you use your electric vehicle as a novelty, if it is going to be your primary mode of transportation with no Gas vehicle for back up. You will need the 60 to 70 amp Tesla charger, they can fully charge a Tesla in short time not of all night. By the way there are millions of house with 100 amp or less services, along with substations that would not handle the load if everyone owned electric vehicle's, that is simple ohms law. Your dryer circuit is a 2 pole 30A and will not run a Tesla Charger.

Randy Wells
I/S 5628

Last edited by Randy Wells; 10-14-2021 at 09:36 AM.
Randy Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 10-14-2021, 10:42 AM   #72
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Wells View Post
Those overnight chargers work fine when you use your electric vehicle as a novelty, if it is going to be your primary mode of transportation with no Gas vehicle for back up. You will need the 60 to 70 amp Tesla charger, they can fully charge a Tesla in short time not of all night. By the way there are millions of house with 100 amp or less services, along with substations that would not handle the load if everyone owned electric vehicle's, that is simple ohms law. Your dryer circuit is a 2 pole 30A and will not run a Tesla Charger.

Randy Wells
I/S 5628
Yes, I would need a separate 240v circuit to run a tier 2 charger. Same to use my welder correctly. My neighbor has similar electrical service and has had several EVs over the years. An early Prius and now a Nissan Leaf. They don't match a Tesla but they do charge off a wall plug for daily driving.
I'm not an EV fan. I like the thump of my SBF sucking through a 4bbl 750, but I understand that there is no "new" gasoline on this planet. It might take 100-200 years but there will come a day when there will be no gas and this discussion will be moot. We won't live to see it, but our descendants will. Better to accept it than make fun of it.
Old 10-14-2021, 11:04 AM   #73
Randy Wells

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireSale View Post
Yes, I would need a separate 240v circuit to run a tier 2 charger. Same to use my welder correctly. My neighbor has similar electrical service and has had several EVs over the years. An early Prius and now a Nissan Leaf. They don't match a Tesla but they do charge off a wall plug for daily driving.
I'm not an EV fan. I like the thump of my SBF sucking through a 4bbl 750, but I understand that there is no "new" gasoline on this planet. It might take 100-200 years but there will come a day when there will be no gas and this discussion will be moot. We won't live to see it, but our descendants will. Better to accept it than make fun of it.
Not making fun of it and do agree we will get there in the long term, but there is no such thing as perpetual motion, it takes power to make power, HP is rated as Kilo Watts in Europe that makes it easy to see what we are up against, and I can tell you are grid is not ready for everyone owning EV's. If you ordered a 2MVA XFMR today it would take a year or more to get it.

Randy Wells
I/S 5628
Old 10-14-2021, 11:30 AM   #74
Glenn Briglio
VIP Member

Liked 819 Times in 263 Posts

Quote:

Randy Wells
I/S 5628
What are you burning to make the electrical power????? What amount of earth are you destroying to get the elements to make those batteries ????? What are you doing with those batteries after they are dead ????
Old 10-14-2021, 11:40 AM   #75
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,730 Times in 1,512 Posts

There will always be oil. It may be made out of seaweed or plankton but it will always be here......... unless we finally decide to get serious about nuclear.

Make tech "TECH" again!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 11:58 AM   #76
T Pogue

Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny5160 View Post
The locals that already live there will benefit when they sell.
Unless you are like me retired on a fixed income and have on intention of selling. I live just outside of Ft. Worth and my property taxes have gone up almost 50% over the last 4 years after being pretty steady for 20 years.
A lot of Cali people moving in here.
T Pogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 12:45 PM   #77
Randy Wells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Briglio View Post
What are you burning to make the electrical power????? What amount of earth are you destroying to get the elements to make those batteries ????? What are you doing with those batteries after they are dead ????
I recently retired, the last project I worked on was the largest wood pelletizer in North America as an Electrical Inspector, and was part of the Commissioning and Start Up, it will produce 580 tons of pellets a year. These pellets are not the kind you use in a Bar B Q smoker, or home pellet stove, these are made for power plants. Europe and the UK signed on to the climate accord years ago when Trump smartly got us out, part of that deal was to retrofit their coal power plant boilers over to wood. Wood is considered a renewable energy. These pellets from the facility I worked on are made from 70% pine and 30% hardwood, and 100 % of these pellets are shipped to Europe and the UK, via the Arkansas River, to the Mississippi, loaded on cargo ships and sent across the pond. The substation feeding this plant was updated to supply 28 MVA of power, that is 28 million watts at a cost of 15 million to upgrade. This facility uses wood to fire the furnaces for the dryers, there is 4 lines and 4 furnaces It takes 17 years to grow a pine tree to maturity, and 3 times that long for hard wood. The facility is all rotating equipment and requires a lot of workers just to keep it running unlike a Hydrocarbon facility. Maybe this is part of the reason 2X4s are so expensive.
There were 70 Electricians on this project, and half of them couldn’t speak English, and the quality of there work was very substandard. There is an article in the NEC 110.10, that states all work shall be done in a workman like manner, these boys missed that part in there training, never seen such a piss poor install in my 45 years as an Industrial Electrician, one of the reasons I retired

Randy Wells
I/S 5628
Old 10-14-2021, 01:03 PM   #78
Glenn Briglio
VIP Member

Liked 819 Times in 263 Posts

Quote:
I recently retired, the last project I worked on was the largest wood pelletizer in North America as an Electrical Inspector, and was part of the Commissioning and Start Up, it will produce 580 tons of pellets a year. These pellets are not the kind you use in a Bar B Q smoker, or home pellet stove, these are made for power plants. Europe and the UK signed on to the climate accord years ago when Trump smartly got us out, part of that deal was to retrofit their coal power plant boilers over to wood. Wood is considered a renewable energy. These pellets from the facility I worked on are made from 70% pine and 30% hardwood, and 100 % of these pellets are shipped to Europe and the UK, via the Arkansas River, to the Mississippi, loaded on cargo ships and sent across the pond. The substation feeding this plant was updated to supply 28 MVA of power, that is 28 million watts at a cost of 15 million to upgrade. This facility uses wood to fire the furnaces for the dryers, there is 4 lines and 4 furnaces It takes 17 years to grow a pine tree to maturity, and 3 times that long for hard wood. The facility is all rotating equipment and requires a lot of workers just to keep it running unlike a Hydrocarbon facility. Maybe this is part of the reason 2X4s are so expensive.
There were 70 Electricians on this project, and half of them couldn’t speak English, and the quality of there work was very substandard. There is an article in the NEC 110.10, that states all work shall be done in a workman like manner, these boys missed that part in there training, never seen such a piss poor install in my 45 years as an Industrial Electrician, one of the reasons I retired

Randy Wells
I/S 5628
Wow renewable energy. 17 to 51 years we would have no trees.for oxygen.
Old 10-14-2021, 01:38 PM   #79
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,452 Times in 540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
There will always be oil. It may be made out of seaweed or plankton but it will always be here......... unless we finally decide to get serious about nuclear.
You are correct!
Still remember when I lived in Seattle, there was company converting the waste cooking oil from local restaurants into bio-diesel fuel and there were many local pumps selling the bio-fuel at a lower price than the gas stations with the regular diesel fuel.

The only issue I saw was that everytime I would be stopped a traffic light next to a car that used the cooking oil based bio-diesel, I would get hungry for French Fries or Calamari!

https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...ase-into-fuel/

Last edited by SSDiv6; 10-14-2021 at 01:40 PM.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 01:47 PM   #80
Frank Castros
VIP Member

Liked 2,048 Times in 762 Posts

Renewable sources, while having orders of magnitude greater energy content than human society may use up, are not particularly easy to harness, allowing only a small part to be finally harvestable. There are tough technical, environmental and societal problems, all quite significant, that have to be solved and restrictions on its transmission and location of usage have to be followed. It will also require development of “wastetless technology” and recovery and recycle of materials, particularly those which are difficult to win from natural sources and may be in short supply. Thus, in the long run, “renewable energy” will become inevitable, but even this will require a great deal of effort and planning and will not come easy.

Or inexpensively.
Frank Castros is offline   Reply With Quote