HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-15-2017, 08:49 AM   #21
joespanova

Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Default Re: How much human reaction in reaction time?

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the car has to be consistent FIRST. Then you dial in the car to the driver , front end travel , shock tuning etc etc. Then work on your own consistency.....
BUT , no where in this post does any reply apply to stick racers.
It appears as if all replies "imply" the driver is using a trans brake.
I've always wondered , no make that ASSUMED cutting decent consistent lights is not at all difficult with trans brakes and esp . delay boxes..............which it IS and leaves wins and losses at the stripe.
joespanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:03 AM   #22
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Liked 1,958 Times in 493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joespanova View Post
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the car has to be consistent FIRST. Then you dial in the car to the driver , front end travel , shock tuning etc etc. Then work on your own consistency.....
BUT , no where in this post does any reply apply to stick racers.
It appears as if all replies "imply" the driver is using a trans brake.
I've always wondered , no make that ASSUMED cutting decent consistent lights is not at all difficult with trans brakes and esp . delay boxes..............which it IS and leaves wins and losses at the stripe.
First and foremost this post is about human reaction, it sort of took a turn to the cars reaction but I didn't feel it was a button only conversation. Human reaction pretty much covers a button or a clutch pedal IMO.
Nmbr1GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:45 AM   #23
joespanova

Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmbr1GMfan View Post
Human reaction pretty much covers a button or a clutch pedal IMO.
Now try analyzing the differences between your left foot and your right thumb..........
joespanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:48 AM   #24
Jeff Stout
VIP Member

Liked 691 Times in 274 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Carr View Post
You can zero-out the rollout on your practice tree, to test pure human reaction time. I would do that at times, just messing around. My human reaction time (over ten years ago, when I used to race) was in the .175-.180 range. This should give you a close figure. Things vary, of course. But it should be pretty ballpark.
This is what I did to see what my human reaction was. I ended up being around .190. I did practice in lanes before my passes Saturday night and with the instant green event I was .520, .521,.520. The average was actually slower by.002 from the night before which was .540,.503,.516 but the consistency was improved. So now using the practice tree and averaging .190 in human the car was is around .330 in reaction. The car is a Monte Carlo with 29 tall tire, 2.48 400 trans w/trans brake and all travel removed from button, 4.88 gear and shallow staging. Don't know what if anything come's from this experiment other then practice on practice tree helped me be consistent on human reaction.
Jeff Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:30 AM   #25
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Liked 1,958 Times in 493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joespanova View Post
Now try analyzing the differences between your left foot and your right thumb..........
I do, hahaha. linkage setup is your friend.
Nmbr1GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:28 AM   #26
Jeff Niceswanger

Liked 905 Times in 330 Posts

Here is a time ticket from back many moon ago .. I was racing Superstreet at the time .I took one of Hawley's classes, and they hooked a system into the car to measure driver time, verses car time ...This should answer some of these questions
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2157 (640x427).jpg
Views:	522
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	39534  

Last edited by Jeff Niceswanger; 05-15-2017 at 04:48 PM.
Jeff Niceswanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 06:28 PM   #27
asmyth1783

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

At Lebanon Valley Dragway, they have rollout sensors for test and tune days. You put the module on your car and it prints the vehicle roll out and driver reaction time on the time slip. That way you can see if you're staging consistently/car is consistent and if your reaction is consistent. Since the sensor is actually part of the track it is true rollout/driver reaction. You have to be careful with some of the rollout modules that use g-force chips because they are not very accurate.
asmyth1783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 06:37 PM   #28
Kevin Panzino

Liked 618 Times in 120 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Niceswanger View Post
Here is a time ticket from back many moon ago .. I was racing Superstreet at the time .I took one of Hawley's classes, and they hooked a system into the car to measure driver time, verses car time ...This should answer some of these questions
Thats pretty neat Jeff. Why did you then decide to use those slips as BB gun targets??
Kevin Panzino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:17 AM   #29
Bobby DiDomenico

Liked 92 Times in 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Panzino View Post
Thats pretty neat Jeff. Why did you then decide to use those slips as BB gun targets??
I was thinkin' he has one of those old time spindles from the "Don't fold, spindle or mutilate" days:-)
Bobby DiDomenico is offline   Reply With Quote