HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-28-2023, 10:32 AM   #1
Marty Rinehart Jr

Liked 209 Times in 48 Posts
Default 2023 AHFS system "cliff note version"

I would like to clarify some questions with the 2023 AHFS.
I talked to a lot of people lately and most are not quite sure how this really works.

Here is a short and sweet version of the New AHFS Guidelines.

New AHFS Guidelines

1. ALL runs under -0.65 the index will NOT be used to compute year end averages on any combinations (this essentially eliminates half of all competitors competing in STK/SS)

2. ALL runs over -0.65 under the index will count towards computing the year end average for each engine combination. Your best qualifying run at each event(including C1 class runoffs), all other class runoffs and elimination runs will be counted in the review data.

NOTE: All NHRA National Opens and Jegs All-Star runs do not count towards the year end review data

3. There is no more “Mineshaft” rule.

4. Two one second under runs on any combination, regardless of the class, will trigger a year end review

5. The automatic HP threshold has been raised from -1.20 under the index to -1.30 under the index. This will initiate a minimum 5.25% increase in HP and/or -0.25 change in index the Monday after the event which the run occurred.

6. If the engine combination is reviewed at the end of the season and found to be over -0.85 under in any individual class and/or across the entire engine combination family a HP increase and/or index decrease will be initiated.

7. If the engine combination reviewed is deemed to be over -0.85 under, the FASTEST run made by that combination throughout the year will be used to calculate the HP increase and or index decrease. (ie. Engine avg. is -0.856 under but the fastest run was -1.17 under, a 2.25% increase in HP and/or 0.10 decrease in index will be initiated)

NOTE: A realistic minimum run data threshold should be implemented immediately. Looking at the statistics curtesy of Nitro Joe’s Statistics. A -0.50 under the index minimum run data threshold would be more conducive to calculate engine combination run data averages.

I hope this makes it easier to understand. Below is the link to the NHRA AHFS as it is written.
https://www.nhraracer.com/content/ge...633&zoneid=132

If you would like to receive Div 1 SRAC emails and updates, please email me at Marty@RinehartsPerformance.com with your Name, Class, NHRA#.

Last edited by Marty Rinehart Jr; 02-28-2023 at 10:37 AM.
Marty Rinehart Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 11:05 AM   #2
Markeracer

Liked 69 Times in 28 Posts
Default Re: 2023 AHFS system "cliff note version"

Kudos and nice work Marty for the Cliff Notes explanation above. Now THIS is the type of help that we need from the SRAC reps! Thanks.
Markeracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 11:43 AM   #3
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,761 Times in 1,317 Posts

I would like to take this opportunity to Thank all the D1 racers that voted for Marty Rinehart. Thank You, Thank You , Thank You ….
MR DERBY CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 08:36 AM   #4
Frank Castros
VIP Member

Liked 2,159 Times in 787 Posts

Marty,
Thank you for your great work. If I missed it, will Indy 2023 be AHFS free and unaccountable?
Frank Castros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 09:35 AM   #5
Marty Rinehart Jr

Liked 209 Times in 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Castros View Post
Marty,
Thank you for your great work. If I missed it, will Indy 2023 be AHFS free and unaccountable?
Thank you Frank,
At this time, Indy will be included in the HP review data for STK/SS.

What is everyone’s opinion on this subject?
AHFS at Indy or No?
Old 03-01-2023, 09:43 AM   #6
Billy Hampton

Liked 31 Times in 11 Posts

Where I believe this is heading is towards a true performance based heads up system after this is "sorted out" in a year or two. So instead of class only heads up runs, ALL of eliminations can be heads up runs. Isn't this the way it should be anyway? Bobby F, Your thoughts? You should be rewarded for choosing the best car for the best class and doing the best you can at building it.

Last edited by Billy Hampton; 03-01-2023 at 09:45 AM. Reason: add last sentence.
Billy Hampton is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 03-01-2023, 10:51 AM   #7
Bob Gullett
VIP Member

Liked 414 Times in 92 Posts

They need to eliminate the AHFS for all class run offs. It has nothing to do with points. It’s what heads up class racing is about. Who has the fastest. Not who can figure out the best way to slow their car down. Put the fun in class run offs. I know racers that have the best parts, spent tons of cash to have a fast car and will still not run fast in class eliminations due to the present rules. And I don’t blame them. Just my opinion.
Old 03-01-2023, 11:48 AM   #8
Mike Gray

Liked 525 Times in 138 Posts

deleted

Last edited by Mike Gray; 03-01-2023 at 06:37 PM.
Mike Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 11:58 AM   #9
dartman

Liked 68 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gray View Post
Not that I disagree with you but when do they run fast? Why have a fast car and never run it to its potential? Is it just the hopes of going to a National Open or an Allstar race with no AHFS to go fast. I would be skeptical of record runs at those races. Do they tear down at those events?
Maybe a way to speed up the AHFS is to eliminate dial under ( It’s not bracket racing) run off the index which will be like heads up and cause the AHFS to adjust the combo’s much quicker. If the thought is only the big money fast cars will win it should only be short lived as the hp adjustments should bring them back to the field.
They do tear downs at D1 opens every time a record is set in Canada.Seen it done many times.
dartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 12:04 PM   #10
Carguy49
VIP Member

Liked 2,298 Times in 612 Posts

I was at Firebird Raceway near Boise and watched class run offs last year. It is run off the class index and is fun to watch, I stand about the 1200 foot mark. I will be there again this year and plan on seeing some great racing. See you all there.