HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-08-2021, 08:44 AM   #1
John DiBartolomeo

Liked 1,283 Times in 159 Posts
Default No Tech - Part 2

I guess last week’s Blog must have made the hair stand up on the back of the necks of some people. Most of it all realizing and agreeing with the inadequacies of the system. If you missed reading, hit https://dragracingactiononline.com/category/blog/.

I do have to admit that inspecting cars can be a tough job, one I wouldn’t want. It was quite a long time ago, when I was a regular at Island Dragway in New Jersey. At one of their big races, the line for tech inspection was rather long. The track’s long-time Tech guy was Duke Snyder who really understood the process and the rules. As the line grew larger, he approached me about helping out in Tech. Things went rather well until I encountered a car which used typical water pipe and welded elbows for a roll bar. I explained that wasn’t legal to which the gentleman replied, “I’m a certified welder and I know how to build cars.”

Okay, but I didn’t want to have my name signed to his Tech Card when I knew it wasn’t legal or safe. I think it was shortly after that when I “resigned” from my job as a Tech Inspector.

There have been countless lawsuits arising from racers who were injured or lost their lives at a track. In this litigious society we live in today, just about any injury can bring out in the open a myriad of attorneys just looking for reason to sue. Oftentimes they win and it sets a precedent for future claims. I question how an organization like the NHRA can allow for such a loophole to not enable proper tech inspection. But what do I know? I’m certainly not an attorney nor do I know the inner workings of the organization.

I do know; or at least I believe; that should even the most frivolous of lawsuits make its way before a judge and jury, there is a chance for a settlement, which again sets a precedent, one in which attorneys can use in the future to argue their own cases.

Does this mean that the next time I show up at the track with one of my cars, I can expect to get a thorough looking over? I hope not, but I do feel it’s in my best interest to be as safe as I can, which means having all of at least my safety equipment up to date and specs. Regardless of someone telling me I “have to” have a certain item, I’ll think of my own safety and hopefully wear it first.

What about you?

This week also marks the PRI Trade Show and the first one I’ve missed in probably 30 years or so. My wife and son will be there representing us in Booth 939, so if you’re going, please stop by and say hello.

Reason I’m not attending personally is that I have to go through 28 straight days of radiation, Monday through Friday, so I’m a bit “tied up.” I am feeling okay, getting through this portion of my life pretty good, I think. Just need to get past it and back to normal. Docs say it’s just temporary so I’m praying they’re right. As of now, I’m beginning to get my energy level back which I’m thankful for, but I will miss seeing so many of you at PRI. I really enjoyed the Show when it was in Florida, not so much in the cold of Indy, but so much for that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JD2_0030.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	61453  
John DiBartolomeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 09:12 AM   #2
Ray Gottry

Liked 64 Times in 22 Posts
Default Re: No Tech - Part 2

John,

Remind me to tell you the story of the guy who showed up at the Texas Motorplex with a beautiful big block Ford Falcon with the roll cage made out of PVC pipe!
Ray Gottry is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 12-08-2021, 09:25 AM   #3
ss125h

Liked 81 Times in 29 Posts

John, we are all praying for you. May GOD bless, Glen H 1257
ss125h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 10:34 AM   #4
James Perrone
VIP Member

Liked 1,638 Times in 385 Posts

I raced at Island Dragway for years and the complaint I would here from racers from Long Island was that old guy in tech. Duke is a prick . He picked my car apart
I would tell them he’s not a prick just doing his job. Duke was fair and consistent
Old 12-08-2021, 11:08 AM   #5
Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

Liked 220 Times in 79 Posts

Miss this one so you can make the next 30. Short term pain long term gain. REMEMBER Your tougher than cancer! Kick it’s A!

As far as safety and lawsuits. Our own safety should be our own priority. And for those that haven’t figured it out. You can get killed driving down the street, driving top fuel or your 20 second car on the track. If that’s too much risk. Don’t do it. But if you decide to and don’t take proper precautions. And something goes wrong. And your hurt or killed that’s on you. You want to race your dragster in shorts and a t shirt. Go ahead but I don’t want to hear any whining if something goes wrong. And if I do everything possible to protect myself. And god forbid I’m hurt or killed. I knew what I was doing and I knew the risks. I don’t want any lawyers involved.
Rob Petrie E395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 01:13 PM   #6
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Perrone View Post
I raced at Island Dragway for years and the complaint I would here from racers from Long Island was that old guy in tech. Duke is a prick . He picked my car apart
I would tell them he’s not a prick just doing his job. Duke was fair and consistent
Duke is the nicest guy you could meet but he took his job seriously.
I’ve known him since the mid 1960’s. He was there at Island when they opened
If you argued with him about a tech issue you were making a big mistake.
Island had Tech long after most other tracks had virtually nothing.
They still do and it’s not an easy job and modern real fast cars and the street crowd are very difficult at times to deal with.
It’s a thankless job and their just trying to keep things as safe as possible.

I’ve done some stupid things over the years myself. Got tossed out at least once.....at a National event. Was not happy but it was clearly on me.
Old 12-08-2021, 04:59 PM   #7
Bob Don
VIP Member

Liked 784 Times in 176 Posts

John - Good luck with your procedure. Prayers and best wishes sent your way.
Old 12-09-2021, 12:47 AM   #8
bigshow2966

Liked 83 Times in 36 Posts

Good luck John.
bigshow2966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 07:19 PM   #9
Dyno

Liked 610 Times in 180 Posts

I went through 38 treatments on a Monday - Friday schedule for prostate cancer, early on it was easy, the later half was a little tougher, you can do it! Good luck.
Dyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 08:24 PM   #10
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,600 Times in 1,994 Posts

I went by your both and said hello to your wife and son. Patsy and I wish you well
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote