HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-12-2017, 11:57 PM   #1
my69396

Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts
Default Excessive braking

I will look in my latest rule book but I thought stated tire smoke from excessive braking was like crossing the center line and reason for disqualification.
my69396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:18 AM   #2
340Cuda
VIP Member

Liked 683 Times in 292 Posts
Default Re: Excessive braking

Quote:
Originally Posted by my69396 View Post
I will look in my latest rule book but I thought stated tire smoke from excessive braking was like crossing the center line and reason for disqualification.
"Anytime it has been judged that excessive braking has resulted in loss of control that results in contact with the guardwall and/or light fixtures or crossing the center boundary lines, INCLUDING PAST THE FINISH LINE, the contestant will be disqualified."

I don't think tire smoke counts anymore.

Bill
340Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 01:42 PM   #3
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,700 Times in 1,300 Posts

This doesn't concern the suits at NHRA until someone loses their life at the stripe. Someday a 8.50 second mustang will get all tangled up (thanks Mickey) with a poor ,defenseless FWD with no roll bar and that will be all she wrote. The suits will then look at each other in disbelief and wonder how the heck did this happen. My only hope is that the FWD racer is not Gary Hampton. I like that guy !!! Furthermore, if you think this will never happen...well....the CUBS did win the World Series........

Last edited by MR DERBY CITY; 02-13-2017 at 01:59 PM.
MR DERBY CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 03:02 PM   #4
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

While it was not a braking issue, I had a scare at a big money bracket event several years ago driving the Turismo stocker. First round, I drew a car that was close to Top Sportsman territory. Broke out .001, and next thing I know, he's sideways in my lane in front of me. Turns out he got into some of his own fluid. If he would've lost it at half track instead of the finish line, he would've gone THROUGH me. If I gave a d*mn about NHRA and ever raced the Turismo in Stock again, I would put a rollbar in it. The legitimacy of "factory" Stockers is a separate argument, but now that we have heavy 8-second rocket ships, all cars should have at least a roll bar.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:16 PM   #5
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts

The one thing I made clear to Eric when he bought the gremlin was that he put a 6 pt bar in the car since his daughter would be driving it. He did better and had a cage put in it.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 04:17 PM   #6
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,490 Times in 1,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Beard View Post
If I gave a d*mn about NHRA and ever raced the Turismo in Stock again, I would put a rollbar in it. The legitimacy of "factory" Stockers is a separate argument, but now that we have heavy 8-second rocket ships, all cars should have at least a roll bar.
I appreciate the concern here, but I'd have to say ..No Way!

First we let the FX cars in, under dubious circumstances, then we have to change the rules for the slower cars, to accommodate them?

It's hard enough with a slower car to watch the faster car. They don't need any more disadvantages.

That being said, if you want to be all strapped in, with two year belts, for your own satisfaction, be my guest.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:27 PM   #7
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

I specifically said "should have" as in my opinion, not "should be required to have", as in NHRA rule mandate. That being said, safety isn't a matter of "accommodating" anyone. (Actually, I thought NHRA's mantra was "Dedicated to Safety"...)

FWIW, I wear started wearing a -5 suit last year, even though I am not required to. (Well, not in NHRA bracket racing... NHRA, in their infinite wisdom, has different safety "standards" for the exact same car, dependent solely upon what decals are on the windshield. I wasn't aware that decals offered varying levels of protection... but that's yet another topic that's a different story.)
Old 02-13-2017, 04:45 PM   #8
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,490 Times in 1,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Beard View Post
I specifically said "should have" as in my opinion, not "should be required to have", as in NHRA rule mandate. That being said, safety isn't a matter of "accommodating" anyone. (Actually, I thought NHRA's mantra was "Dedicated to Safety"...)

FWIW, I wear started wearing a -5 suit last year, even though I am not required to. (Well, not in NHRA bracket racing... NHRA, in their infinite wisdom, has different safety "standards" for the exact same car, dependent solely upon what decals are on the windshield. I wasn't aware that decals offered varying levels of protection... but that's yet another topic that's a different story.)
My mistake then, Michael. I thought you were advocating another rule change.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:12 PM   #9
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
I appreciate the concern here, but I'd have to say ..No Way!

First we let the FX cars in, under dubious circumstances, then we have to change the rules for the slower cars, to accommodate them?

It's hard enough with a slower car to watch the faster car. They don't need any more disadvantages.

That being said, if you want to be all strapped in, with two year belts, for your own satisfaction, be my guest.
Mark, when I pulled the plug the FS cars ( they weren't even called that then) had a few cars going 9:50's. I still see Don Fezell going past me at 155 at Norwalk. Now 8's
are as common as flies on a horses patoowie. If YOU want to race with old belts and no roll bar/cage be my guest. I usually agree with you but this is one time we're on opposite sides of the fence. I still love ya though.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:26 PM   #10
cmracing

Liked 62 Times in 29 Posts

I have a full chrome moly cage in our 11.50 car that my son and wife drive. Can't have too much safety gear, only get one shot at this........
cmracing is offline   Reply With Quote