HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-05-2015, 11:23 AM   #1
skills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default live coverage.

Since we are switching from ESPN to Fox Sports, I was wondering would it be possible to run eliminations live on tv? What is the length of sunday? I think it would help with sponsors and payouts. Think it would bring more fans to the track also. Any suggestions?
skills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 12:17 PM   #2
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 237 Times in 127 Posts
Default Re: live coverage.

The Sunday Final Elimination schedule for the NorthWest Nationals runs from 11:00 am to 4:00 pm, so that makes for a long day in front of the tube. It covers rounds in 11 classes running in different formats like flat out, .90 and handicap start. I think it would confuse a lot of newcomers to the sport.

In general, I don't think drag racing makes for good live TV with all the track prep and clean up that tends to slow down the pace of the day. I would like to see the semis or quarters of Stock and Super Stock edited in to fill the time usually devoted to watching Jimmy Prock's crew turn wrenches, though.

Find someone with an Apple TV box and try to sit through the Watch ESPN replay of Sanoma to see what you are asking for. It's basically a live recorded feed from fixed cameras.

Dale

Last edited by FireSale; 08-05-2015 at 12:20 PM.
FireSale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 06:24 PM   #3
ALMACK
VIP Member

Liked 324 Times in 116 Posts

If Fox Sports had some sort of video playback like the Livestream that was used at the Class Nationals last year, a viewer could slide the time bar to where ever they want and see what ever they want.

This is what I am referring to:

http://livestream.com/MotorManiaTV/2...ideos/49781967

It can be watched live as well and if you missed a run that happened 20 minutes ago, no problem. Just slide the time bar back 20 minutes.

Last edited by ALMACK; 08-05-2015 at 06:26 PM.
ALMACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 06:54 PM   #4
jwsamuel

Liked 216 Times in 88 Posts

I have two questions about the live coverage planned for next year:

1. What will they do to fill the down time when the Safety Safari is cleaning oil off the track?

2. What will they do when oil downs put the event 90 minutes behind schedule and there is another event coming up on the TV schedule?
Old 08-05-2015, 06:59 PM   #5
Jeff Stout
VIP Member

Liked 680 Times in 269 Posts

The livestream is great. But the downtimes does hurt it. Could they start showing 90 minutes later and edit out the clean ups. Maybe then by the end of the day it will be caught up to live timing and only some inconvenience of waiting. A little tweaking would make watching much more pleasant
Jeff Stout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:11 PM   #6
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 237 Times in 127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsamuel View Post
I have two questions about the live coverage planned for next year:

1. What will they do to fill the down time when the Safety Safari is cleaning oil off the track?

2. What will they do when oil downs put the event 90 minutes behind schedule and there is another event coming up on the TV schedule?
Cut the Nitro and "Alcohol" fields down to 8 cars? Limit nitro cars to 70% and alcohol cars to methanol only? Anything to stop this bye+blow-up stuff. Denver had something like one actual race in the first round of TF/FC.

As a spectator, it amazes me how the pace picks up after the Pro ranks run. The second pair of Comp cars has finished their burn outs when the first pair hits the stripe.

But that's an NHRA thing. Silly me...

Dale
Old 08-06-2015, 07:21 AM   #7
Jacob Pitt

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Maybe a tv option like the NFL Sunday Ticket where you pay a once a year fee for the whole season and they will let you watch all of the sunday coverage. Sportsman and all.