HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-05-2013, 06:34 PM   #1
L79racer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default super stock racing?

Can somebody explain to me how super stock racing works? I was watching a few old videos and see that they put up different times on the boards for the two cars racing. Do you sort of bracket race from those times and still get to go under the time/index on the board? So the car that can go more under there index gets a better shot at winning? I feel stupid asking this question but never really followed the class racing.

Last edited by L79racer; 04-05-2013 at 06:37 PM.
L79racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:47 PM   #2
Tom Turner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: super stock racing?

Follow it a little and you wouldn't be so stupid.
Tom Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:49 AM   #3
treessavoy
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

This is not going to be a popular answer with most here but the answer to your question is YES. Both Stock and SS are bracket races with cars built to certain specifications.

As long as you can run the index or under you can dial down to as fast as you can go.

Now others on here are going to confuse you with talk of heads up runs, afhs, records, 1000ft racing, getting horsepower, etc. but the brutal truth is that we put shoe polish on the windows so we are bracket racing with rules.

But, it's fun, we're a bunch of good guys and gals and we'll give you the carburetor off our car if it will keep you in the show.

Jump in, it's fun.

JimR
Old 04-06-2013, 12:53 AM   #4
MrWendy'sJr

Liked 25 Times in 1 Post

That's one more nail the the class coffin.
MrWendy'sJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:02 AM   #5
MrWendy'sJr

Liked 25 Times in 1 Post

Thank you Jim
MrWendy'sJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:41 AM   #6
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Vehicles are placed in a certain class as defined by NHRA / IHRA. The class is based on weight x a horsepower that may be the factory assigned HP or it may have been adjusted up or down by NHRA / IHRA. This is determined to be the cars "natural" class. From there, the racer may choose to go up one letter designation or down one letter designation; all the while either shedding or gaining weight as defined by the rules.

Once you have established what class you are in, you race. But each class has a predetermined "index" as assigned by the sanctioning body. Let's just say your index is 11.00. Based on that, your vehicle must run 11.00 or quicker in the quarter. If you can't run 11.00, the track will dial you at 11.00 anyways. If you can only run an 11.25; your giving up .25 on your dial. Sorry, but that's not a part of bracket racing.

The car in the other lane plays by the same rules. If he has a vehicle that runs in a faster class, say his index is 10.50, then assuming your dial is 11.00, you will leave the .500 seconds before him. Now if you can run an 11.00 then great. But if you can only run 11.25 and you received an 11.00 dial anyways, well, you can see the problem you have!
But if you can both run the dial, yes, it is a bracket race and I know you understand that game.

Now, suppose you are both in the same class. You both have the same index of 11.00. You both receive the same tree and if your both exceptional racers, you leave the line together with .000 lights. Now it's up to the fastest car to win because under these circumstances, there is no break-out. First one there wins. Just like a Pro-Stock vehicle. Again, I don't see that in bracket racing.

That's how it works. As you can see, it is to your advantage to build a vehicle that will not only run the index, but surpass it. That takes time, money and skills in research and application because some vehicles are meant to be winners and some will be a dud no matter what.

To this you can set a national ET / MPH record if you are capable and you choose to do so. You must run at least .500 under your class index if the record is not "owned" or if it is owned, you must better that persons time. If you do set a record (takes two passes), you will have portions of your engine under the scrutiny of the field tech inspector. They will typically ask to see the induction, cylinder head, will check wheel base, overhang, fuel; basically anything they want to see you will provide. And it's your labor and expense. Again, don't see much of that in bracket racing!

Then there's the whole AHFS thing. In a nutshell, it's a plan that is designed to even the field so one vehicle doesn't have an advantage over everybody else. That's a whole 'nuther issue!

All this applies to both Stock and Super Stock. Put your 'Vette in Super Stock!
Old 04-06-2013, 02:16 PM   #7
L79racer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lee View Post
Vehicles are placed in a certain class as defined by NHRA / IHRA. The class is based on weight x a horsepower that may be the factory assigned HP or it may have been adjusted up or down by NHRA / IHRA. This is determined to be the cars "natural" class. From there, the racer may choose to go up one letter designation or down one letter designation; all the while either shedding or gaining weight as defined by the rules.

Once you have established what class you are in, you race. But each class has a predetermined "index" as assigned by the sanctioning body. Let's just say your index is 11.00. Based on that, your vehicle must run 11.00 or quicker in the quarter. If you can't run 11.00, the track will dial you at 11.00 anyways. If you can only run an 11.25; your giving up .25 on your dial. Sorry, but that's not a part of bracket racing.

The car in the other lane plays by the same rules. If he has a vehicle that runs in a faster class, say his index is 10.50, then assuming your dial is 11.00, you will leave the .500 seconds before him. Now if you can run an 11.00 then great. But if you can only run 11.25 and you received an 11.00 dial anyways, well, you can see the problem you have!
But if you can both run the dial, yes, it is a bracket race and I know you understand that game.

Now, suppose you are both in the same class. You both have the same index of 11.00. You both receive the same tree and if your both exceptional racers, you leave the line together with .000 lights. Now it's up to the fastest car to win because under these circumstances, there is no break-out. First one there wins. Just like a Pro-Stock vehicle. Again, I don't see that in bracket racing.

That's how it works. As you can see, it is to your advantage to build a vehicle that will not only run the index, but surpass it. That takes time, money and skills in research and application because some vehicles are meant to be winners and some will be a dud no matter what.

To this you can set a national ET / MPH record if you are capable and you choose to do so. You must run at least .500 under your class index if the record is not "owned" or if it is owned, you must better that persons time. If you do set a record (takes two passes), you will have portions of your engine under the scrutiny of the field tech inspector. They will typically ask to see the induction, cylinder head, will check wheel base, overhang, fuel; basically anything they want to see you will provide. And it's your labor and expense. Again, don't see much of that in bracket racing!

Then there's the whole AHFS thing. In a nutshell, it's a plan that is designed to even the field so one vehicle doesn't have an advantage over everybody else. That's a whole 'nuther issue!

All this applies to both Stock and Super Stock. Put your 'Vette in Super Stock!
Thanks Jeff for explaining, I have one question about the dial in. If my Index is 11.0 but my car can run 10.50, is my dial in still 11.0 and I have .5 in the bank or am I required to dial under my index? As for my Vette, it doesnt fit into super stock. I believe its far from legal. Mostly the motor, Its a 383 with all after market parts except the block. The car weighs 2900lbs race ready. Best ever was 9.92. I'm sure with the motor and weight, compared to a good super stock motor, its a Dud!! LOL! With the cost of a good S.S. motor I probably could build another car.

P.S. I'm looking for an older Vette to build a street strip car and its going to be a stick car. Hopefully you'll see me posting at UMTR again. Thanks again

Last edited by L79racer; 04-06-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:57 PM   #8
Dave Gantz

Liked 230 Times in 122 Posts

You can keep the .5 "in the bank" and dial 11.00 (or whatever you want), but you'll break out sooner or later. Mainly, you won't make many friends in the category where you race.
Dave Gantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:54 PM   #9
442OLDS
VIP Member

Liked 262 Times in 100 Posts

This thread has some pretty bizarre explanations of Super Stock racing.

First,the original question was not stupid.The sport could use some new blood,so asking a few questions was not stupid.

Next,if you race a car in a heavily populated class and have hopes of winning,you are going to get your fair share of Heads Up races.It is very hard to win these races with a car that doesn't run that far under the index.You can get lucky and avoid cars in your class,but its not easy.This is not a concern in "Bracket Racing"

In closing,if you are "Bracket Racing",it is beyond me how you will lose friends by holding a half a second.I actually think you will make lots of friends (who will want to race you),but it is certainly legal and a valid strategy if that is what you want to do.
442OLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:54 PM   #10
L79racer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If I'm thinking it correctly. Its like Index racing but you cant dial slower than your class/index. You must dial at or quicker than you index. Plus you run against different indexes plus your own. I think thats how I can look at it. Sort of a mix between bracket and an index. Sound about right?