HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-04-2013, 10:54 PM   #1
Stocker ws6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Super stock GT question

I was just wondering if I could use aftermarket tubular a-arms and k member on a 1999 firebird in super stock GT. Thanks, any help is appreciated.
Stocker ws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:13 PM   #2
Ernie Neal

Liked 301 Times in 73 Posts
Default Re: Super stock GT question

RWD must retain complete stock front-suspension system or utilize
an NHRA-accepted front suspension. See General Regulations 3:4.
This is from the 2012 "book" as I have not download the 13 yet. I think it is unchanged. section 11:3

Ernie Neal
GT/C 354
Ernie Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:52 PM   #3
CJ Perry

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know in IHRA you can't. I was accused of cheating last year with one, went through tech with all my stock junk an was fine. Still a little upset on how everything was handled. I don't understand why you can 4-link a car but you can't run a tublar front suspension. It keeps it in the factory location....makes zero sense.
CJ Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:37 PM   #4
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,469 Times in 549 Posts

This subject has been brought up many times on this site.

Also, I have addressed the subject with NHRA a few times including some RWD cars that have been built stretching the rules.

In a nutshell, OEM K-members on late model cars where not designed to handle the loads of wheel stands and high torque engines. Nevertheless, cannot understand why FWD and given so much leniency when compared to their RWD counterparts, expecially in SS Modified classes.

As usual, requests and letters were ignored, not even an explanation of why it is not considered
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:24 AM   #5
CJ Perry

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDiv6 View Post
This subject has been brought up many times on this site.

Also, I have addressed the subject with NHRA a few times including some RWD cars that have been built stretching the rules.

In a nutshell, OEM K-members on late model cars where not designed to handle the loads of wheel stands and high torque engines. Nevertheless, cannot understand why FWD and given so much leniency when compared to their RWD counterparts, expecially in SS Modified classes.

As usual, requests and letters were ignored, not even an explanation of why it is not considered
what I don't understand is I've seen pictures of 2-3 stockers and super stockers that have tubular front suspension.

How do these cobalts and cars of that nature able to run one, but I can't??? I mean there back halted/4-linked on a 13in tire, yet I can't run my tubular stuff on a stock suspension on a 9in tire??
Old 04-06-2013, 01:18 AM   #6
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

So you want to run an aftermarket tubular K-Frame that may knock off 75#'s from the front of your car?
Old 04-06-2013, 02:54 AM   #7
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,469 Times in 549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lee View Post
So you want to run an aftermarket tubular K-Frame that may knock off 75#'s from the front of your car?
It does not knock off 75lbs. Most of the late model RWD cars have a stamped sheet metal K-member made of a light gage thickness.

The rules allows you to modify the OEM k-member, however, in some makes of cars, it is not possible and may weaken the k-member.
I am addressing GT and modified classes and allowances given to FWD conversions when compared to RWD cars in the same class.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:28 AM   #8
D.Johns

Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Perry View Post
what I don't understand is I've seen pictures of 2-3 stockers and super stockers that have tubular front suspension.

How do these cobalts and cars of that nature able to run one, but I can't??? I mean there back halted/4-linked on a 13in tire, yet I can't run my tubular stuff on a stock suspension on a 9in tire??
The FWD conversion cars have no choice but to run 4-links and custom K-members. As to why they don't allow it on the RWD cars in Stock I can understand as it by definition Stock and there aren't FWD conversion cars. The only thing you see in stock is 4-links on IRS conversion cars because again they have to if they are wanting to run a Live rear axle. In SS/GT it was hard for me to grasp how the FWD could and why not allow the RWD to do the same as they can also run 4links also. Just to even the playing field. A tubular K-member is certainly an advantage on most models.

But rules are rules. Just have to do the best you can with the cards you are dealt. You could request the rules be examined if you feel strong enough. The FWD conversion car builders certainly put in a lot of time and effort so its not really a shortcut to a fast car.
2014 Cobra Jet FS/XX #3345 STK/SS

Like us on http://www.facebook.com/pages/Daniel...25886327426822

Last edited by D.Johns; 04-06-2013 at 03:30 AM.
D.Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:34 AM   #9
CJ Perry

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lee View Post
It doesn't knock of 75lbs off the front of your car. Been there and done it. What's the difference in me doing this and you gutting your car? Your logic makes zero since...
Old 04-06-2013, 12:37 PM   #10
340Cuda
VIP Member

Liked 704 Times in 305 Posts

I would agree that it does not seem right that the FWD conversions can have better, safer, easier to work on front suspensions when the guys with the older RWD cars have to battle steering boxes, tie rods through the pans, weak upper control arms and other issues. Those "little pro stockers" are going to be faster in the end anyway so why not throw us a bone.

Bill Lamb
340Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote