HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-28-2010, 07:51 PM   #1
Joe Demarais

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default One More Year at BIR!

I talked to the BIR management a week ago and they will run S/SS this year at their bracket events, but they would like to see more than 15 cars there.If we can better our car count they will probably keep us in the future races, if not, we'll be running brackets. I am guilty of not having a good attendance also, so I am committing myself to make all the bracket races. It would be a shame if we lost that opportunity to race S/SS at their local events. The more cars, the better the payout.
Thank you, Joe Demarais
Old 02-28-2010, 10:05 PM   #2
Dyno

Liked 609 Times in 180 Posts
Thumbs up Re: One More Year at BIR!

I'll try to attend more this season if they can finish the program on time. Dyno
Dyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:44 AM   #3
ron mattson

Liked 54 Times in 26 Posts
Default Re: One More Year at BIR!

well put big joe, we need to get more cars there and support this unless you "LIKE" to
drive 6-8 hrs for a s/ss race. hear that all minnesota,wisconsin and dakota boys and girls
bir wants us there and i mean all of us not just one or two whiners that if things dont go
exactly their way they refuse to play with all the other kids....c-ya in may!!!!!!!
ron mattson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:26 AM   #4
Tim Lisson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What a great idea, support the only 1/4 mile facility we have available that holds a s/ss racing point series.... There has been a group of us that have been saying this for 3 years now. Last year they raced us on Saturday only. Three hits, on to eliminations. If you wanted you could run brackets on Sunday.

It's really an easy decision for me. There is racers who want to chase Divisionals and/or drive to Iowa for USA races, if you can do it and it makes you happy so be it, just don't bitch when we lose the oppurtunity to race at one of the nicest facilities available to us.

Tim
Tim Lisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:15 AM   #5
5919 SSKA

Liked 19 Times in 5 Posts

Those that know me, know I have beaten my head on this issue with BIR for years! Those that don't, I will spell it out one more time.

If the payout/entry fee were more in line that would be a different story for a lot of drivers (myself included). I can't cost justify running a Super Stock car for $350 to WIN (which is about what it's been in the past), with a $110 entry fee to boot. I've raced a few times there in the past with my Super Stocker when I have need to test for one reason or another. Otherwise, I have a bracket car as well and run that for less entry fee and a higher payout...it just makes sense.

It would be fantastic to see 32 plus car fields of S/SS cars at the races. Especially for me, as the track is only 62 miles from my home. I think the track should guarantee a $1000 minimum to win as well. A higher GUARANTEED payout is the only way I see BIR getting cars to come from outside Minnesota. Let's face it, Minnesota isn't exactly a hot bed of S/SS racing.

The track needs to do some advertising, have solid track prep from Test-n-Tune thru eliminations, not nickel & dime the racer's for everything when you enter the gate, and get some fans in the stands during these weekend series. That shouldn't be the racer's responsibility too.

Last season, Ron Zenzen and myself tried to organize a S/SS combo at Interstate Dragways in Moorhead, MN. Another track that would LOVE to have a regular S/SS program. And there was a VERY POOR turn out. Perhaps it was the weekend, but there wasn't a single NHRA race in the 5 state area. I believe we had something like 10 cars, and still paid fairly well with what we had. We are planning it again the same weekend this season (July 24-25)---race both days.

YES, it would be fantastic for BIR to keep S/SS racing as part of their regular program. But as Al Corda told me a few years ago when we were talking about this very thing---'Trailer's do have wheels you know Travis.'
Old 03-01-2010, 01:25 PM   #6
ron mattson

Liked 54 Times in 26 Posts
Thumbs up Re: One More Year at BIR!

here is my take on this, i went to topeka a few years ago and lost in the semi's, went to get
paid and got 180.00 total.. now let me see it cost me 2 days work,gas to go 11hrs one way
hotel for 2 nights at 100.00 pr night meals for 3 days to the tune of approx 1000.00 out of
my pocket for 180.00 now that was a good deal....F... me yeah right.. i can drive a little over
a hour to brainerd go 3 rounds and make more. with little expense.. besides that unless
you are of Biondo or Fletchers ability i wouldnt count on this as a "source of sustainable income" as it was put to me by the IRS. also the trailer tires uncle al spoke of are about
200.00 each last time i checked and they do wear out also. so if any local "hitters" are
doing this for the money i would take a good look at your wallet and see if there is any more
in it in sept than may, doubt it..this is a HOBBY for 99.9 % of us so get used to it.
ron mattson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:24 PM   #7
5919 SSKA

As I said before, I can bracket race my Chevelle for less entry and win more at BIR.

Therefore, unless the payout/entry fee changes at BIR or I need to test something I doubt you will see me there (that's just me). I would rather travel to a National/Divisional and have a 'chance' at a larger pay day and race less to save 'travel money' and wear/tear on equipment.

To each their own, I just don't see it happening.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:48 PM   #8
Tim Lisson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Re: One More Year at BIR!

Travis-

I obviously have no ties with the track, matter of fact Rock Falls is little under two hours closer to me than BIR, however since BIR is the only track that has a season points program established specifically for S/SS, I plan on supporting them. Last year I joined the points program and only raced two of the races due to engine failure. I received a check in the fall for my fourth place finish ($100), that's right a check. Come to find out only 4 people signed up for the points. I was told the winner received $1,000, amount that I have not personally verified with the champion, but will.

You talk about a guranteed amount, BIR has the payout structure posted on their website. I don't see how they could keep the lights on if they paid more than what the car count entries total. Of course I wouldn't be against the entry fee being reduced, but with the points championship money and BIR gold card up available, I'll pay it.

When you were at Moorhead was it a guaranteed $1,000 to the winner for the ten racers that showed up? What spots did they pay other than winner and runner up? That same weekend BIR paid $750 to the winner, 350 RU, (2) $130 semi's, and (4) $60 quarters.

Like I said earlier, there is racers that want to chase Divisionals and that is great, I just hope every racers attitude is not the same as yours or we will lose out on a pretty good thing that is in our backyard, well, your backyard.

Just think, we could have went to Phoenix and went after that big payday..

Good luck racing this year and I'll see you at the first race!

Tim
Tim Lisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:46 PM   #9
MEXJOE

Liked 151 Times in 48 Posts
Thumbs up $$ it's usually not me$$

Hi every one!

I LOVE TO RACE MY (NEW) CAR!!!

I LIVE ONLY 55 MILES FORM B I R, So it IS going to get my vote for a place to race.
HOWEVER...

I like to race ANY PLACE THAT IS HAVING A S/SS RACE!

I SPENT WAY TO MUCH $$$$$ BUILDING THIS NEW CAR AND IT'S NOT OVER YET!

I don't give a **** about the payout
After all there is only one winner and it USUALLY IS NOT ME!!!
MEXJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:48 PM   #10
5919 SSKA

I obviously don't have the answer and never said I did.
Some will race at BIR's S/SS program, and some won't. I for one, will not be this season and I doubt you will miss me.

I personally have different goals/views on how and where I want to spend my time and money racing. Nothing wrong with that. I MYSELF can't justify racing a $40,000 car for anything less than $1000 to win (unless again, I need to test).

Tim---If I recall correctly the race I helped put on at Interstate dragways paid $300 or so to Win, and if you won 1st Rd you got a little back ($30 or so). I was up for trying something NEW and different, than the same ol same ol at BIR. If we would have had (I believe) 24 cars, we would have paid out a grand. From what I've read today, it looks as if Interstate might be CLOSED this season, so we might be out of luck there for a S/SS combo.

And if by 1st event at BIR your talking the Lucas Oil Divisional race, I will be there.
BIR's "season opener" always seems to fall on Opener of Fishing weekend/Mother's Day weekend...and this year my girlfriends daughter graduates from college that same weekend.