HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-06-2008, 07:02 PM   #1
cutta

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Default A-Body mopar guys: Where do you guys get your headers from without going custom?

Looking for a set of headers that will fit nicely underneath our 72 Duster while leaving all of the stock front suspension components in place. Does anybody make a set that isn't such a pain to put on. I know about TTI but I'm not interested in taking the torsion bars off to get the headers to fit. Any suggestions?

Last edited by cutta; 12-06-2008 at 07:07 PM.
cutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 08:46 PM   #2
Myron Piatek
VIP Member

Liked 135 Times in 49 Posts
Cool Re: A-Body mopar guys: Where do you guys get your headers from without going custom?

You don't have to take the torsion bars out with TTI. In fact, I was able to get them in by only removing the starter and oil filter, then jacking the engine up. I believe the instructions suggest removing a steering link. The passenger side goes in VERY easily. You might have to turn the steering back & forth. Easiest headers I have EVER installed and best fitting. Somebody gave you bad info!

Several IHRA Stocker guys, including myself with a 3" X-pipe and mufflers, run the 1 5/8"-1 3/4" step headers and they work pretty well for our applications. E-body TTI's actually fit in an AMX with a Mopar small block! Plenty of ground clearance, you don't need a 90* oil filter adapter and they clear the 8qt. Milodon oil pans.

www.ttiexhaust.com
Old 12-06-2008, 09:54 PM   #3
Philip Saran

Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Default Re: A-Body mopar guys: Where do you guys get your headers from without going custom?

I had a set of Hooker race adjustable headers on my 1973 340 Duster
back in the 80's, they came apart so was able to remove and reinstall
without removing anything. Maybe a bit cheaper than TTI, but maybe
not as good a header either.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:27 PM   #4
Patric Fox

Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Default Re: A-Body mopar guys: Where do you guys get your headers from without going custom?

Putting any race headers on a Mopar is going to be a pain. I have used the Hedman race headers on a few of my small block a bodies, do not have to remove the torsion bars or cut holes in the inner fenders.
Patric Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 11:23 PM   #5
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patric Fox View Post
Putting any race headers on a Mopar is going to be a pain. I have used the Hedman race headers on a few of my small block a bodies, do not have to remove the torsion bars or cut holes in the inner fenders.
I once had a '72 'Cuda 340 and installed a set of Hedman Hustler (now called "Pro Hustler" I believe) 1 3/4" headers in 20 minutes. I couldn't believe it because I had tried all the cheaper stuff before. Best shelf header I've ever had.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:00 AM   #6
cutta

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Its an even bigger pain since we have a big block in our Duster. We have just never found a really good design besides some of the fenderwell exit headers. I was just wondering if there were any better design headers than ran between the frame rails that wasn't such a pain. We always disconnect them at the flange and the ends so that they are easier to put on and so we can ad slip on collectors. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:49 PM   #7
Chris DeGidio

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I run a big block Mopar in a 71 Demon.We have used the "Pro Parts" style of header since we built the car.These are a semi fenderwell header..2 tubes on the left go thru the fenderwell and 1 tube on the right.I can install these tubes by myself in about 45 minutes to an hour.Currently the people that used to make them are not going to anymore,but Bob Mazzolini is having them made again and I hear that TTi is the manufacturer.There will be the 2" with 3.5 collector and a new 2-2 1/8th step header with 3.5 collector and I hear that merge collectors will be avalable as well.I don't know what the price will be,but I'm sure they will be in line with the TTi headers.I looked at the in chassis TTi's and no way would I use those in a big block/A body application.Too muck work to install.The Pro Parts are great,and I think are the best overall header to use.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:55 PM   #8
Chuck Beach

Liked 59 Times in 13 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Chuck Beach
Smile Re: A-Body mopar guys: Where do you guys get your headers from without going custom?

Kromer Kraft in Youngstown Ohio, he custom builds them and they work ....
Liked
Old 12-07-2008, 10:05 PM   #9
Jeff Teuton
VIP Member

Liked 326 Times in 50 Posts

We have some Hedman on our old Top Stock duster. Work great for the money. Call me if you need the number. Ran 9.56 this weekend. One tube through the fender each side. Easy to put on. Jeff Teuton jefft@southlanddodge.com Straight 1 7/8
Old 12-08-2008, 12:13 AM   #10
cutta

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Thanks for the info Jeff! As long as they are for a Big Block Mopar, that very well might be the ones we go with. Tubular Automotive makes a version just like it but Hedman's prices might be a little better. Jeff, check your email.