HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-14-2008, 11:54 AM   #1
BIZMANRACING

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default To High Of A Wheel Stand Help

sorry for posting here. i'm not a regualr here. but, i figure this is where help is if i need it so i hope you super stock guys can help.

below is a link from englishtown photo gallery from this past sunday. i was there getting my licence. i fell one pass short. not enough time. as you can see in the picture that the car is wheel standing. not all that much since i've seen them alot higher than this. but, this was new to me.

http://www.davemilcarek.com/051108/p...201D%20146.htm

i was used to just picking them up and putting them down. now i expericened this and i couldn't see down track. now like a good solider i stayed in it. i knew the damage i could do if i got scared. but, i was ready for it. what i wasn't ready for was the landing.

like i said i was used to picking them up and putting them down. now, i feel it in the stirring wheel. the shake and what not, then just holding on to the end. that part was no big deal. though i wasn't allowed to make a full pass..

so my question is this. with a stock front suspension and stock sterring minus the power sterring pump. is this healthy? is it ok? is it normal to feel the landing it in the sterring wheel? if not what can i do?

i have a four link in the back, but, have no idea what bars to change, i've also heard of using limitiers on the front but don't know anything about that either. i don't mine just getting used to it. but, i think the learning cruve woulf be long since now its with neck collar and gloves. it dosn't seem like much if your on the out side looking in. but, i didn't have time for anything in there which was a little scarey for me. i don't know what the oil pressure was, water temp, rmp speed at the top end which for me was 1000 ft. nothing. the car was at 6.100 at half track at 111.34 the sixty foot was 1.311 the et at 1000 ft was 8.015 and i got off of it then and just rolled through the lights at 9.78 at 119.21

i felt like a rookie going down for the first time. almost a little embarressed to ask the question.

please help what you can. if anybody knows any rule of thumb to figure out the et and speed to this run i would be very greatful.

thanks in advance

Carlos Mendes
BIZMANRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 12:19 PM   #2
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts
Default Re: To High Of A Wheel Stand Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIZMANRACING View Post
sorry for posting here. i'm not a regualr here. but, i figure this is where help is if i need it so i hope you super stock guys can help.

below is a link from englishtown photo gallery from this past sunday. i was there getting my licence. i fell one pass short. not enough time. as you can see in the picture that the car is wheel standing. not all that much since i've seen them alot higher than this. but, this was new to me.

http://www.davemilcarek.com/051108/p...201D%20146.htm

i was used to just picking them up and putting them down. now i expericened this and i couldn't see down track. now like a good solider i stayed in it. i knew the damage i could do if i got scared. but, i was ready for it. what i wasn't ready for was the landing.

like i said i was used to picking them up and putting them down. now, i feel it in the stirring wheel. the shake and what not, then just holding on to the end. that part was no big deal. though i wasn't allowed to make a full pass..

so my question is this. with a stock front suspension and stock sterring minus the power sterring pump. is this healthy? is it ok? is it normal to feel the landing it in the sterring wheel? if not what can i do?

i have a four link in the back, but, have no idea what bars to change, i've also heard of using limitiers on the front but don't know anything about that either. i don't mine just getting used to it. but, i think the learning cruve woulf be long since now its with neck collar and gloves. it dosn't seem like much if your on the out side looking in. but, i didn't have time for anything in there which was a little scarey for me. i don't know what the oil pressure was, water temp, rmp speed at the top end which for me was 1000 ft. nothing. the car was at 6.100 at half track at 111.34 the sixty foot was 1.311 the et at 1000 ft was 8.015 and i got off of it then and just rolled through the lights at 9.78 at 119.21

i felt like a rookie going down for the first time. almost a little embarressed to ask the question.

please help what you can. if anybody knows any rule of thumb to figure out the et and speed to this run i would be very greatful.

thanks in advance
You are experiencing a shimmy movement after the wheel stand. This subject was discussed in the Tech Section in a previous post. Here is the link to the post:

http://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=10392
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 01:15 PM   #3
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I would instal a manual steering gearbox. It sounds like you still have the p/s gearbox in the car.
And that's not a huge wheelie. It's impressive and fun. You'll get used to it! Look over your shoulder and you will learn to tell if the run is straight or not.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:33 PM   #4
BIZMANRACING

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i do have the orginial p/s gear box in there. tough to turn the wheel but 6ft 250 i can handle it (at least i think so) but what will the manual gear box do? also, what do you mean about looking over your shoulder to see if your going straight?

yes its fun and exciting. just don't want to brake anything.

as for the link for the sterring damper. i read it all. thanks you. i haven't made the phone call yet. but, does it make a difference that my car is a 79 camaro not a thrid generation unit which is what the catalog calls for/

thanks

Carlos Mendes
BIZMANRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 02:39 PM   #5
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

I look to my left and watch the wall or center stripe, depending on which lane I'm in. My bracket engine often stayed up well into 2nd gear, my class engine does about what your doing there. Should cause no problems. As Jeff said, you'll get used to it. I would have a good front end shop check for and correct any bump steer.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:48 AM   #6
Bryan Worner

Liked 410 Times in 66 Posts

Once you get used to doing that "normal" wheelstand you'll be able to tell if your going straight or not without even looking out the side. I'm used to doing 60' + wheelstands and have experienced unloading, going toward the centerline and even tagging the wall once. It's like anything else, doing it over and over, you'll get a feel for your normal launch.
Bryan Worner is offline   Reply With Quote