Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-19-2020, 06:38 PM   #31
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,456 Times in 1,696 Posts
Wink Re: X /Stock ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickF View Post
The tech. specs. show it with a throttle body, what needs to be done with the electronics? Thanks again.
I just noticed this.
The throttle body spec is for the air inlet. However, it is not a wet throttle body.
It is PFI (port fuel injection)..Remember what I said about the modern, torque inducing design.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:14 PM   #32
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Liked 724 Times in 177 Posts
Default Re: X /Stock ?

There was one of these built and raced in the Memphis are way back in the 1990s. It was very fast then.
Old 01-21-2023, 11:59 AM   #33
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

See thread in S/SS section that used to be at the top of the pile on this site ;-)
Old 05-01-2023, 07:46 PM   #34
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Oh yes... One more "tech" item.

Local, name brand pump gas allowed.

(This is supposed to be an entry level class..whatever that means)
Old 05-01-2023, 08:03 PM   #35
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Best rule item yet...

You must show up with used 9" radials, bought from the guys with the 8-9 second factory "Stockers" LOL ;-) ;-)
Old Yesterday, 08:22 PM   #36
djm670

Liked 176 Times in 46 Posts

Late to the party, I was just looking for something that speaks to the rear axle in a modern 454 Corvette stocker after watching Rylie Trumble at No Problem Raceway today.

Long story short, I built a pro shifted 3 speed transmission for Doolittles X/SA Comet. Wanted to beat Rieder and Wallace for class at 1976 US Nationals, was tired of getting beat by him that year. That was the last year you could run flat out to win. Unfortunately I was not able to talk him out of the car. He did not want to run one of mine as they were all sticks. I should have had a plan to put an automatic in one of them. Anyway, they let me do it the week after Indy with Judy's similar car. Two weeks later there was a stock superstock combo race at Central Michigan dragway. We out qualified W&R by 0.15 seconds. I believe that after indy we were always racing on the brakes, I believe the rule changed the next week. Anyway, we put the trans and clutch set up in Harry's Comet and I drove thru the Summer Nationals that year. We were low #1 qualifier at the Winternationals and all that got us was the opportunity to pull a rod and a piston. Fortunately it was easy to do with a 200 6. I think the best I did with it was get to the semi finals at the summer nationals where I broke out.. and said no more. We used to put restrictor gaskets under the carb to slow it down and at E town we had put the smallest one we had in it before the semi final.

I assume that if one wanted to have a better chance of winning with a slow car, it would be to have one with feedback efi.. to improve the consistancy. We set the record a few times with the stick. I want to say we were around 15.20 or .30 at the 77 winters. I will say it was a fun car to drive. And we never broke anything. The ford 3 speed has the same cluster main drive vertical spacing so you can use 4 speed ford top loader gears, just have to narrow them a bit to get in the 3 speed case.

I don't think I would build a car below f/sa if one wanted to win National events on a fairly regular basis. And with the advent of the Factory stock cars that can go well into the 8 second bracket, that is probably a pipe dream the way they treat tracks today for traction.

My two cents on the subject. Harry's old Comet is still be run today believe it is running in W/S with the advent of front wheel drive cars. And it is still very competitive for class.
djm670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:35 AM   #37
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,816 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm670 View Post
I assume that if one wanted to have a better chance of winning with a slow car, it would be to have one with feedback efi..
Ummm.......... I can agree with that.

Reality, what a concept!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote