GarysZ24
VIP Member

Liked 197 Times in 78 Posts
Send a message via MSN to GarysZ24 Send a message via Yahoo to GarysZ24
Thumbs up Re: Red light debate update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SStock1373 View Post
Mike, please refer to my post a couple weeks back:

As far as the red light rule, here is my suggestion (just a suggestion people). How about extending the tree blocker all the way down to cover the red-light bulb and then the worst red-light loses? I believe the red bulb does cause a distraction to the faster car, especially in a 1-3 bulb handicapped race. The scoreboard would not light up until the second car leaves and the computer determines which light is "worse red" so that wouldn't be a distraction either. The code for that loop would be simple to write, we were taught how to write a similar program during my freshman year at college. Rules would stay as they currently are on a bye run, automatic win, no red light or break out in a bye run.

Secondly, just from being the chaser in bracket racing to getting chased like a gang member in Super stock.. anyone who is even attempting to say that slower cars have an advantage in a drag race should really think through their hypothesis again (or must really have eyes in the back of their Simpsons). The whole race is in front of you, and currently you have the red light advantage working in your favor. Now I can't defend the slower car who never references his/her opponent and breaks out while said opponent is parked at midtrack but I am 99% sure a faster car has never gotten around a broken car at half-track and neglected to lift. "Build a faster car" is not the answer people want to hear, especially people who care about preserving great classes that go beyond SS/AM or AA/SA. If that's the case, build a slow car so you can see a clean tree. Not seeing a "clean tree" in my opinion, is only a small (and easily corrected) sacrifice for the advantages that lie ahead for the next 1320 feet. Don't forget being the faster car, my friends, is the reason we have that idiotic tool known as a throttle stop in all the super index classes. People wanna chase.
Well said Bobby, well said!!!
CF/S #5824 (#78 in 2021)
GarysZ24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:09 PM   #52
GarysZ24
VIP Member

Liked 197 Times in 78 Posts
Send a message via MSN to GarysZ24 Send a message via Yahoo to GarysZ24
Talking Re: Red light debate update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by art leong View Post
Ed do you have any idea how long that wall would have to be? LOL My 1/8 mile times are slower than some superstockers quarter mile times.
That's funny Art...true with my car too, but funny. Especially when John Friel's SS/AA Hemi Dart (circa an early to mid-90's allstar race at Rockingham, NC.), ran quicker in the quarter than my car runs to the 1/8th as well (9.14 to a 9.4? best)!
CF/S #5824 (#78 in 2021)
GarysZ24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:16 PM   #53
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Red light debate update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarysZ24 View Post
That's funny Art...true with my car too, but funny. Especially when John Friel's SS/AA Hemi Dart (circa an early to mid-90's allstar race at Rockingham, NC.), ran quicker in the quarter than my car runs to the 1/8th as well (9.14 to a 9.4? best)!
I run 8.30's on a good run and quite a few Superstockers run that and better.
One thing is the wait has to be hard on them.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:18 PM   #54
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by art leong View Post
Ed do you have any idea how long that wall would have to be? LOL My 1/8 mile times are slower than some superstockers quarter mile times.
Only a joke Artie.A product of my over the top sense of humor.But you can see the can of worms it would open.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:31 PM   #55
Stewart Way

Liked 70 Times in 21 Posts

Ed F
interesting comment on the fresh spray slowing your car in 60. A friend I was helping in SST at the Southern Nats a few years ago was having a great day, making it all the way to the finals. In the finals he lets go of the button, the car jumps out of the beam and makes a hard right toward the wall. The stop came on at around .2 sec and he was able to correct and miss the wall by about a foot. He coasted back toward the groove, the stop opened and he was on his way. Knowing that the car had had a problem on the line he thought he could never break out. Wrong, he was under around .07. All we could figure was that on a normal run, coasting thru the traction compound spray, the glue slowed the car and since he avoided a couple hundred feet of sticky track he was .07 faster.
Your the only person I have ever heard, other than us, say the glue slows you. I believe it.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:47 PM   #56
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart Way View Post
Ed F
interesting comment on the fresh spray slowing your car in 60. A friend I was helping in SST at the Southern Nats a few years ago was having a great day, making it all the way to the finals. In the finals he lets go of the button, the car jumps out of the beam and makes a hard right toward the wall. The stop came on at around .2 sec and he was able to correct and miss the wall by about a foot. He coasted back toward the groove, the stop opened and he was on his way. Knowing that the car had had a problem on the line he thought he could never break out. Wrong, he was under around .07. All we could figure was that on a normal run, coasting thru the traction compound spray, the glue slowed the car and since he avoided a couple hundred feet of sticky track he was .07 faster.
Your the only person I have ever heard, other than us, say the glue slows you. I believe it.
Stewart,I'm dieing if I'm lieing.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Old 11-15-2010, 02:22 PM   #57
Jack McCarthy
VIP Member

Liked 352 Times in 92 Posts

glue slows my car .04 in 1/8 and .08 in 1/4 at indy every year...

they do not do an entire track spray until friday for the fuelers... all time runs and class show the distinct difference

also smoke (and less Oxygen) from campfires at national events slows me down if i am ever still racing that late

jack

4470# U/SA 50 chevy WAGON
and P.S > I hope the track sucks when we race !
Old 11-15-2010, 02:41 PM   #58
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack McCarthy View Post
glue slows my car .04 in 1/8 and .08 in 1/4 at indy every year...

they do not do an entire track spray until friday for the fuelers... all time runs and class show the distinct difference

also smoke (and less Oxygen) from campfires at national events slows me down if i am ever still racing that late

jack

4470# U/SA 50 chevy WAGON
and P.S > I hope the track sucks when we race !
One reason Atco is so fast could be that it'sw in the middle of the pine barrens.A lot of trees equals a lot of oxygen in the air.A good borometer doesn't hurt either.
Jack,does the rear of the car lift on top due to the "wings"?
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA