HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-01-2022, 12:27 PM   #91
ProfessorRock

Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Default Re: Billet cams and lifter supply

Just curious Mike ,asking for a friend, how much did the get for coated lifters. DLC?
Old 12-01-2022, 12:58 PM   #92
Mike Gray

Liked 504 Times in 135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorRock View Post
Just curious Mike ,asking for a friend, how much did the get for coated lifters. DLC?
I purchased the dlc coated lifters through a builder and they originally ship the wrong diameter. I returned them in the middle of COVID and it took 17 months to get replacements. (Original price was $1500)
Old 12-01-2022, 08:27 PM   #93
mnmaxwedge

Liked 104 Times in 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Taylor 3601 View Post
I started to use Gibbs break- in oil once... warehouse gave me a case to try..I was assembling my own engine,grabbed a quart....oiled up mains and installed crank(had already checked bearing clearance) crank wouldn't turn... pulled it back out... the oil did'nt have any slickness at all... cleaned off bearings and crank... lubed it up with Brad-penn or lucas break-in oil... set crank back in and torqued down... spun just like it should... I dumped that quart I opened and the other eleven in the used oil barrel...
looking back,I should have sent back to be checked...
Are you running a steel cam core or cast iron? If iron, it needs to be nitrided. If stee,l make sure you request the cam manufacturer to micro polish the cam lobes. Also you must run DLC coated tool steel lifters (the old Shubecks will work in a pinch). I work for a distributor that sells Driven Break In oil and we go through several pallets every couple weeks without any problems. On the contrary I have heard negative things about the new Penn Grade break in oil. It's not the same formula as the original Brad Penn. I have a couple of customers that have Rockwell testers. It seems that the "good" traditional flat tappet non tool steel lifters will have a hardness rating of about 60c. Lifters also need to be checked for crown. I received a tray of lifters from Sealed Power that were Chinese. They had sufficient hardness but no crown to speak of. Because of that they wouldn't rotate enough to prevent the lifter from dishing and ruining the cam lobe.
mnmaxwedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 03:27 PM   #94
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Liked 654 Times in 209 Posts
Cool Re: Billet cams and lifter supply

In the early-mid 1980's I worked for the Los Angeles County Mechanical Department, and the cars the Sheriff's department had were '77-78 Novas, 79-83 Chevy Malibus, and they had Chevy trucks and vans.Other County departments had various Chevy and Dodge trucks as well. Around 1981-82,we had an absolute epidemic of flat camshafts in all those various engines, predominantly the 305 Chevys,not too much with the Dodges. We tried various things, but it still was a very common experience. We were searching for an answer, tried various brands of lifters and oils, but the issue continued almost unabated. Along about the early 90's the steel roller cam with hydraulic roller lifters came out, and the problem vanished. At the time, that was when the zinc additive disappeared from the various brands of oils and that was when all this started. Now, the issues we are being confronted with probably more than anything else are supply problems. It's maddening to be told that the goods you ordered for a thousand or more dollars are back ordered because the vendor doesn't want to lose the sale so he takes your money and tosses your order at the bottom of the pile.Not a good way to ensure repeat business, but I guess the modern business culture doesn't care about that.
Greg Reimer 7376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 12:26 PM   #95
Dan Bennett

Liked 363 Times in 83 Posts

I used to work on a Pro Stock team using Jenkins power. He told me that his main criteria for oil was a high zinc level.
Dan Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote