HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-25-2022, 08:27 PM   #41
Dyno

Liked 605 Times in 177 Posts
Default Re: Good news! R&P Steering legal in SS/AH

QA1 does make a great kit for the A -B and E body cars! However it would NOT be legal in Superstock. But it is similar to what is in all the small GM cars that are legal. But as was mentioned in many posts, if that is what you want to run, then build a car it IS legal in. I really do not think you will see many SS/AH cars converted to R&P.
Dyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 10:43 PM   #42
Eric Voigt

Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyphish View Post
Where is that Vette Shootout? I have a 65 bought new. Can we run with plug guards on it? Phish
Like the fire truck!
Old 11-26-2022, 09:44 AM   #43
Spyphish

Liked 662 Times in 174 Posts

Yep! 49 WARD Lafrance Quad. Made by the son of Lafrance post war. Only 2 made. Quad is lights, ladders, tank, and pump. Runs great. Stephen
Spyphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 07:20 PM   #44
Tom P

Liked 216 Times in 87 Posts

The fire truck is cool. Having enough garage space to put it inside is also cool.

As for the tie rod through the oil pan they didn't come that way. Neither did Chevy II's and 428 Cobra Jets. If the rack is being allowed to make using a more advantageous oil pan easier then shouldn't that apply to all the front sump Fords and Chevy II's as well? Getting that Thunderbolt steering box out of the way of #8 header tube could help too.

Last edited by Tom P; 11-26-2022 at 07:24 PM.
Tom P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 12:33 PM   #45
charlie westcott

Liked 218 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth Slayer View Post
Sounds like the racers that feel their connecting rods and other parts are gong to come out of the oil pan and damage steering components during a run should start with a more basic idea for safety.
Find a better engine builder. Or maybe an oil filter cutting tool and use it before the connecting rod does the job for you. Check a bearing here or there during the weekend.
Changing rules for a whole class to make up for a racer or 2 with sporadic engine trouble seems to be extreme.
What racers that run this class wrote the letters for this rule? I’m thinking the 2 guys on here that support it did, and the other guy who is speaking out doesn’t? They took the letters of 2 guys and made a major rule change? What does the other participants feel about this?
This made me laugh.
It always seems that the people that dont race, and/or dont get the results they desire after they think they tried hard enough, write letters to get rules changed. Thats the way its always been.
While it would be nice to not have to take the steering apart to take the pan off, I am not in favor of this. That steering is fairly beefy, for a reason. Those cars are heavy.
The rack off a tube car, or FWD conversion is likely not suited for wheelie landings in a 3200 lb car.
Hopefully you understand front end geometry enough to get the pickup points correct.
charlie westcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 02:30 PM   #46
herbjr
VIP Member

Liked 83 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Hensler View Post
I saw that Hebert is going to try to switch over I’m just really interested as to how they intend to deal with the stock spindles.
The same way my dad did in 1972 when he put the first rack and pinion on an A Body. His 72 Demon still has all the stock spindles on it from when it was built in 72.

Herb Jr
herbjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 03:46 PM   #47
Spyphish

Liked 662 Times in 174 Posts

Quote:
Sounds like the racers that feel their connecting rods and other parts are gong to come out of the oil pan and damage steering components during a run should start with a more basic idea for safety.
Find a better engine builder. Or maybe an oil filter cutting tool and use it before the connecting rod does the job for you. Check a bearing here or there during the weekend.
Changing rules for a whole class to make up for a racer or 2 with sporadic engine trouble seems to be extreme.
What racers that run this class wrote the letters for this rule? I’m thinking the 2 guys on here that support it did, and the other guy who is speaking out doesn’t? They took the letters of 2 guys and made a major rule change? What does the other participants feel about this?
Seems to be time for a special prosecutor (investigator). It's the "In Thing" now. Slay some truth. Stephen Lee Hebert aka Spyphish 403H
Spyphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 04:42 PM   #48
herbjr
VIP Member

Quote:
Why don't you post with your real name, a new account with only two post. Imagine how many combos have had power taken off because of "one letter" or paper cars built with one letter. Maybe tell us who you are instead of hiding behind your keyboard
Old 11-27-2022, 08:49 PM   #49
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,649 Times in 521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbjr View Post
The same way my dad did in 1972 when he put the first rack and pinion on an A Body. His 72 Demon still has all the stock spindles on it from when it was built in 72.

Herb Jr
Off subject here, but i watched that story by him, he said the engineers came down to make sure they were not going to kill themselves. packed up all their equipment and said you guys got it right! love that kind of enginuity, and everything they did to those cars! a lot of smart racers back then...
Keith 944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 10:50 PM   #50
herbjr
VIP Member

and you can go from all the way down to the front wheels off the ground and the tow doesn't change 1/16 of an inch, zero camber all the way. Sometimes the old guys just had it figured out.