Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-20-2016, 08:02 PM   #31
PONTIAC'S REVENGE

Liked 49 Times in 19 Posts
Default Re: 2017 SS/GT Indexes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3011 View Post
Sometimes being at the top of the heap is costly . Some of these cars are going to require chassis work to get to the next level of Certification . GT needed a 6.0 lb class for a long time , now it will be interesting to see how many will take advantage of these new classes .
How so? Most people in the GT classes believe it's a pivot by NHRA to inject more "factory cars" I tend to agree. I verily doubt your inference that it's for the beney of GT category racers as said.

Respectfully
Stacy

Last edited by PONTIAC'S REVENGE; 12-20-2016 at 09:03 PM.
PONTIAC'S REVENGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:50 AM   #32
T. Boucher

Liked 127 Times in 36 Posts

I find the indexes to be on the soft side from a GT perspective so it should entice some racers to move up into the classes. Right now, I suspect a lot of the current 8.0lb cars (current GT/AA with index of 10.10) with FWD conversions are running combinations with hp ratings around 340. So to move to the 7.5lb weight break allows them to take out 170 lbs and the index only drops to 10.00. If one can actually get their car light enough, that is a "free" 7 hundredths on the qualifying sheet.

I think its even more intriguing when you look at the 425hp 454 combinations in RWD cars that can now get to a 7lb weight break and remove over 400 lbs. Index would be 9.90 so on paper getting a "free" 2 tenths on the qualifying sheet.

Another enticing thought is if the Hemi Cudas and Darts can do what other combinations like an LT1 Camaro is allowed to do and switch between SS and GT, they would now be running 8.30s on a 9.70 index. Maybe stick one of those elephant motors in a heavier based FWD conversion and does the conversation for the first 7 second GT car start?

Obviously much easier said on paper than in reality but I'm intrigued by the combinations that may be developed now. I think NHRA should have kept the 0.15 increments between each weight break but time will tell if racers get out there with some of the high hp combinations from the late 60s and early 70s.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:00 PM   #33
SS480

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Would be nice if the fix the FGT indexes
SS480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 01:11 AM   #34
J DeForrest

Liked 74 Times in 18 Posts
Red face Re: 2017 SS/GT Indexes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS480 View Post
Would be nice if the fix the FGT indexes
100%agree. The .25 offset from natural FSS is too strong to begin with. Example - FSS/G is an 8# class, the index is 10.25. FGT/A in 2016 is an 8# class. Its index is 10.00. I realize there is some aerodynamic advantage to a smaller car, but I challenge anybody to take that same engine and weight combo to whatever body they wish, and gain .25 of a second.

So, the new 2017 FGT indexes keep the 8# class at the same index at the .25 offset, but then take it to something that I cannot relate to common sense at all. The worst example is FGT/A - it is a 6# class now posted at an 8.8 index. The exact same engine specs in a "natural" FSS/C car (6# class also) has an index of 9.65. I believe if you took that same engine and weight combo and put it into a dragster chassis, there is no way you could pick up the .85 of the difference in index.

While I do not agree, nor can mathematically justify the .25 offset, I believe it is a complete misinterpretation of the capability of the different bodies to think more can be achieved by just changing bodies.

The FGT/A to C is the major problem in the index's posted, but that's assuming that in the FGT/D on down classes you can pickup .25 going from a COPO body to a 3rd gen camaro body with the engine and weight staying the same.

Just my thoughts... And I am completely aware that the tech guys get paid squat for what they do, and put up with us racers as a bonus. And now in 2017 it seems like there may be less guys...

Last edited by J DeForrest; 12-22-2016 at 01:29 AM.
J DeForrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 06:42 PM   #35
Bryan Worner

Liked 411 Times in 67 Posts

I really cannot believe I've just read that some of you are complaining you have to change your letter A to an E???? Really? Would you like the name of a good graphics company??? I've got one, since I've had to change my numbers the last 5 years and added a new class to my car 2 years ago. Let me know.
Bryan Worner is offline   Reply With Quote