Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-07-2012, 07:47 PM   #91
cicero819
VIP Member

Liked 67 Times in 29 Posts
Default Re: Misconception on a slow stocker winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarysZ24 View Post
That's too bad, but speed cost money, and those obviously with the most money also had the bargaining power over how Stock Eliminator at Indy is run (with the recent year qualifying changes, that now could allow a whole class of similar cars to race just because they all are amongst the quickest 128....what happended to the so-called diversity of Stock Eliminator? Not becoming so at this race)!

This underscores the reason I'll likely not race Indy in the forseeable future (if ever), because I won't go there just to try to win class (especially with this flippin' joke of a runoff system for single class entries, since it cater's to the quickest vehicles against their index, instead of the former system, that worked great and was fair to all stocker racers regardless of class), no if I can't afford to make my car run at least .8 under the DF/S index, then it's a waste of my time, meager money, and wear and tear on my equipment to even try to participate in the event! Racing for class has become a joke (for single class racers who even run .7 under their indexes), so if I can't have a good shot of qualifying for the new quickest under the index system, then I'll go to races with smaller turnouts, where that isn't an issue (like one of the other national events offered during the season, where everyone who attends gets to race in the first round)!!! My .02

p.s. It's been a while since I've posted here, and there may be some who're greatful for my abscence, but to those of you who think that way...BOO HOOOOOOO, because I wasn't going to let this topic go without my heartfelt reply from a racer who's not swimming in money to race a car nearly 2x's as fast as the one I have (even if I did have that kind of money I probably wouldn't...unless I could buy/own/race a Hemi Dart, Savoy, Coronet, or Belvedere, but I'd still race my Z24, because I like the challenge, and the low maintenance costs....
Gary, most people respect your views and opinion and the small independent racer is the back bone of NHRA, too bad they don't remember where they came from. Hemi Dart would be nice. Claude
cicero819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 09-08-2012, 03:34 PM   #92
GarysZ24
VIP Member

Liked 197 Times in 78 Posts
Send a message via MSN to GarysZ24 Send a message via Yahoo to GarysZ24
Unhappy Re: Misconception on a slow stocker winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry 6674 View Post
I would imagine your happy you didn't race when you had to win class to race in the eliminator? I think it was way more fun and I wasn't one of the fast guys. It was fun to run off the record, you were always working on your junk. I would say now a days with the check book racers it could be very expensive.
Actually Harry, I wanted to be able to race when I'd have to win class to race in the eliminator, because in most cases I'd only have to win one race since there (in most of their recent races), was only one other DF/S car I'd have to compete against, and although I may have been .2 slower than my possible opponent, I could've gotten the same luck as that SS/AH car who should've been spanked by a Cuda that was nearly .2 quicker last week? I agree with you "THAT WAY", "was way more fun", and I'd have rooted for you more because you weren't "one of the fast guys"!

Many say that change is good...well in this case I'll agree to disagree with that, because it keeps check book racers from being able to race the big go, and have the same chance at running in the show this weekend as those bigger budgeted racers....our sport should be doing more to attract more racers, not deter prospective racers away....

BTW, thanks Harry, Ed, & Jeff, for your thoughts too, because I wish I could've gotten into class racing and had a chance to run off the record to win class. Moreover, I wish I could've raced in stock when it was more stock like, than many of todays stockers are (which are more super stock like than even they were just 30yrs ago)....

Jeff, I'm glad you like the Darts too, because I sure was rooting for one of them to win SS/AH this year, and Jim Daniels nearly pulled it off. Every year I'll either root Pancake's car, or now Daniels' car, and he nearly did what "Larry the Cable Guy" would always say..."get 'er done"! Great effort though Jim!!!
CF/S #5824 (#78 in 2021)

Last edited by GarysZ24; 09-08-2012 at 03:51 PM. Reason: adlibs to my original post, and kudos to Harry, Ed, & Jeff.
GarysZ24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:54 PM   #93
GarysZ24
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ellis View Post
An AMC Pacer dialed 14.49 just won stock at Spokane today.
Watch out guys, that AMC Pacer has a chance to finish in the D6 Top Ten in Stock, with Jim Mantle behind the wheel (he's currently 9th, but some of his challengers might go to 'Vegas in November)? Furthermore, watch out for Stan "The Man" Kopejtka, because he's sitting 6th in D5, and has a better chance to hold off his followers this season...GO STAN!!!
CF/S #5824 (#78 in 2021)
Old 09-26-2012, 09:35 AM   #94
Michael Colaluca

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have been on both extremes on this situation. I have raced an A/SA, L/SA, and P/SA cars for 10 years now.

For me, the faster car was easier to judge at the finish line. I could take .010 at the stripe, comfortably knowing where I was. In our L/SA and P/SA cars, it gets a little hairy cutting it that close when you are running a big MPH car.
Michael Colaluca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:50 PM   #95
GarysZ24
VIP Member

Smile Re: Misconception on a slow stocker winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Colaluca View Post
I have been on both extremes on this situation. I have raced an A/SA, L/SA, and P/SA cars for 10 years now.

For me, the faster car was easier to judge at the finish line. I could take .010 at the stripe, comfortably knowing where I was. In our L/SA and P/SA cars, it gets a little hairy cutting it that close when you are running a big MPH car.
Michael, I couldn't agree with you more. That said, I wish I could be 1/3 as good at racing slower rollers as "Jody Lang", and "Billy Nees" (those two are aces at racing cars that run L/SA, or slower)! My problem is lack of money, and seat time...the former will be improved upon next summer when my truck is paid off (YEAH!!!), and the latter will be helped out greatly by that as well. Being a check-book racer doesn't help matters much, but it's getting easier as the months go by.....
CF/S #5824 (#78 in 2021)
Old 02-28-2013, 08:46 PM   #96
cicero819
VIP Member

Liked 67 Times in 29 Posts

Well maybe Harry Doolittle win will help demystify the myth that you need a fast car to win, I know it was in Super Stock but he did it with a stocker. He did cause three of his opponents to red light.
cicero819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:06 PM   #97
Dennis P Chapman
VIP Member

Liked 52 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicero819 View Post
Well maybe Harry Doolittle win will help demystify the myth that you need a fast car to win, I know it was in Super Stock but he did it with a stocker. He did cause three of his opponents to red light.
Hey a win is a win anyway you can get it Lol.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:09 PM   #98
philbilly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Slow Cars rule. Especially a fast slow car....
philbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:10 PM   #99
The Hawk
VIP Member

Liked 235 Times in 102 Posts
Send a message via AIM to The Hawk

Harry Doolittle is my hero!

It`s Not What You Drive That Wins....It`s How You Drive It
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:25 PM   #100
GarysZ24
VIP Member

Thumbs up Re: Misconception on a slow stocker winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hawk View Post
Harry Doolittle is my hero!
x2 for Harry from me too Lane, but you're a hero also for how great you did in '96, with an even slower roller!!!
CF/S #5824 (#78 in 2021)