CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Bracket Racing (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Advice Needed (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=41202)

MattC 06-06-2012 10:56 PM

Advice Needed

Hello, I am new to the forum and was looking to get some advice. I am beginning to work on my late fathers big block Camaro after it has sat about 8 years. I am a plumber/ fitter by trade and have limited car mechanical experience, but I am mechanical.

The Holley fuel pump was seized and I got it working. Now I have a fountain coming from the carb vents when switched on. The floats are free so I was going to try a new regulator (even though it was free when pushing on it when I had it appart). The seat valves on the Holley carb seem free and loose.

If I get the fuel system working what should I do before firing it up? I pulled the plugs and shot PB Blaster in the cylinders and turned the motor over for 4/5 seconds to see if I could get oil pressure but no luck. I wasn't sure If I should continue without some advice. Thanks, Matt

rickseeman 06-07-2012 10:33 AM

Re: Advice Needed

How long has it been sitting?

MattC 06-07-2012 11:09 AM

It hasn't been started in about 8 years.

bobby 06-07-2012 12:52 PM

Your floats could be dry rotted and soaked up fuel and made them too heavy to float. You could have a minute' piece of trash in the needles. You could have too much fuel pressure. All these really need to be addressed. Even if everything moves freely, the above mentioned could cause a problem.

Welcome to the forum. What's your location?

rickseeman 06-07-2012 12:56 PM

You know the cylinders are going to be rusty. And a lot of other things. I understand why you don't want to tear it down, Pandora's box kind of deal. After you get the fuel pressure right, if it will spark it will probably run. I would probably change the oil filter again after 30 minutes.

Sean Marconette 06-07-2012 01:49 PM

You should pull the distributor and prelube everything, and build oil pressure. Pull the valve covers and verify that you have oil coming up to the rocker arms. Rotate the engine by hand a couple of revolutions and prelube again. That will help from dry running the engine prior to seeing if it will start.

Is there water in the radiator? Has the car been exposed to freezing temperatures?

Good luck
Sean

jmcarter 06-07-2012 02:06 PM

Good advice here...after running it to full operating temp I'd definitely do a leak down. After sitting 8 years you'll be lucky to get off without tearing it down. If the leakage isn't too bad it may not be able to RPM due to weakened springs. Like Bobby, I'd be curious where you're located, you probably have a racer close by to offer some guidance.

MattC 06-07-2012 04:41 PM

Thanks for all the advice. I got a fuel pressure gauge today and will start there. I am dreading a tear down if necessary. I am in Coeur d'Alene Idaho. I'll keep posted what I find.

MattC 06-12-2012 07:47 PM

Tested fuel pressure and it was 10lbs. I ordered a rebuild kit for the regulator. We will see if she fires in a few days. I am hoping that there isn't too much damage from sitting since it was in my garage that doesn't get below 45 degrees.

jmarkaudio 06-13-2012 08:18 AM

As long as it's been sitting you need to put a kit in the carb, and replace any nitrophyl floats in it.