CLASS RACER FORUM

CLASS RACER FORUM (https://classracer.com/classforum/index.php)
-   Stock and Super Stock (https://classracer.com/classforum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Change the Way the National Championship ? (https://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=74741)

Don Kennedy 11-15-2019 09:12 AM

Change the Way the National Championship ?

I feel the time has come to change the format for the National Championship Points race. In my opinion, I would like to have a year-end Race with Super Stock, Stock, Super Gas, and Super Comp. The top five in each class and in each division would all show up for the playoffs or I mean National Championship.
In all sports, there is a Playoff series at the end of the season to see who earns the right as the champion. This way an amateur would only have to travel to 5 division races. to win the right to the playoff race to crown the champion.Maybe everyone is ok with the way it is now ? any other opinions ?

jmcarter 11-15-2019 09:40 AM

Re: Change the Way the National Championship ?

I soured on the “playoff” format long time ago when Mike Edwards lost the PS championship after running away from the pack during the ‘regular’ season. It adds more drama of course but to me the racer who has the best season should be the champ and the current format provides that. Also think the JEGS Allstars provides the opportunity for racers to gain recognition and still stick to running Divisionals. Under the suggested format a class racer could win every National event they enter, have no success at Divisional races and not make the playoffs.

Actually like the current format even if sometimes there’s not much drama at the Pomona Finals (the Vegas LODRS did; however, provide plenty of drama to the Divisional championships).

Mark Markow 11-15-2019 10:14 AM

I don't like the whole playoff/ countdown idea . imagine yourself dominating the early part of the season , and then having all those points dismissed and having to start over? I also believe the racer with the most consistent strong finishes should win the title.

Mike Pearson 11-15-2019 10:22 AM

Dumb idea.

Floyd Staggs 11-15-2019 10:34 AM

They do it in the Summit ET series. Finalists from all 7 divisions come to Pomona to claim the national championship.

Bill Grubbs 11-15-2019 10:51 AM

Lets have the final race in Gainesville, and Stockers can start at 7 AM...you know 4 AM west coast time... Yea that's the ticket.

Or maybe Epping in November...we can stay until the weather is nice enough to race...
The winner would be whoever could stay the longest. Kind of like whoever is the last person with their hand on the car wins it.

jamie2370 11-15-2019 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Floyd Staggs (Post 601836)
They do it in the Summit ET series. Finalists from all 7 divisions come to Pomona to claim the national championship.

No, only the Division Champions got to Pomona. It is a 7 car race. And they get paid to show up and purse is winner takes all.

James Perrone 11-15-2019 11:10 AM

What’s so unfair the way the system is now?
It seems fine the way it is.

Kevin Panzino 11-15-2019 11:14 AM

No change needed.

BKSG1198 11-15-2019 11:17 AM

I think IHRA did that and was great for the most part (I think the Top 3 in each Division got in) then they made it whoever won a race made it in and I think that put the kabosh on it because guys would run one race, win and then not support the series the rest of the year till the finals at VMP or Memphis and a lot of racers were like WTF. I do think the way the points & car counts are calculated should be changed. For example in Top Sportsman & Dragster in D7 they take 48 & 64 cars at some divisional races which turns into a 105 to win whereas a D1 race takes 32 and its 95 to win so a 10 point swing can mean a lot in the final standings.