HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-16-2007, 01:22 PM   #1
ss wannabee

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default 'Back in the day' info requested

Does anyone out there have some old National Dragsters and could check to see what the SS/U (Super Stock-U) record was circa 1972-1974? I bumped into an old friend who started to build one then but quit due to $$$$$. He says the 'hitters' in the class at the time were Jack Mullins and a guy named Pacey with Pontiac wagons, and a guy from Texas with a '55 Chevy called 'Charlie Brown'...and some guys from Ohio with a Chevy wagon. Thanks for your time!

ss wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 05:34 PM   #2
Myron Piatek
VIP Member

Liked 135 Times in 49 Posts

I haven't seen him in a while, but there was/is a guy with a '55(?) Nomad/panel wagon named "Charlie Brown" in SS that runs IHRA, possibly Div. 9 (Carolinas)
Unfortunately, I don't recall his name at the moment.

If it is the same person & someone remembers his name, that might be a start to track him down and get the info first hand!

Locomotion Racing
http://www.geocities.com/locomotionracing
Old 06-16-2007, 05:36 PM   #3
Bunkster

Liked 43 Times in 10 Posts

This may help you on the Mullins Pontiac:

http://www.highperformancepontiac.co...ory/index.html

The Ohio Chevy you are speaking of may have been Larry Nelson and Duane Brock. Nelson may still work at Jeg's.

Bunkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 08:41 PM   #4
Neil Smedley

Liked 22 Times in 7 Posts

SS/U cars that i remember from that era..........Kyle Brothers, Columbus, Ohio 55 chevy War Wagon.....John Lingenfelter 66 chevy wagon...Jack Mullins 63 Pontiac wagon Helena, AR....Lamar Vaubel Hebron, Ohio 55 chevy Buckeye Shaker....Pay Hardy 55 chevy Covina, Ca.....Barry Raichlin 55 chevy Buffalo, NY.....Paul Dilcher 55 Chevy Buffalo, NY and Ontario, Ca.......Daryl Summerton 55 Chevy Elma, NY.....Ronald Domagnue 55 Chevy Tuff-E-Nuff Gulfport, MS....Johnny Jordan 63 Pontiac wagon.....Charlie Hampf 55 Chevy Witchcraft Delmar, DE.....and the 55 Chevy from Texas might have been Hutchinson.......After a few more beers I might remember some more.........

Neil Smedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 08:49 PM   #5
Neil Smedley

Liked 22 Times in 7 Posts

And without digging into the hundreds of old Dragsters that I have, I think the record was around 13.30 at the time............

Neil Smedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 12:29 AM   #6
Chuck Norton

Liked 69 Times in 15 Posts

Neil, I drove Val Hedworth's '55 4-door at the Lion's points meet during Juy, 1972 and set the SS/U record at 13.54. Dilcher was outraged! Of course, the whole thing was choreographed while Val drove my regular ride, Richard Salcido's Camaro to set the record in SS/LA. At the next meet he was in a position to reset the record in SS/U. No one could have anticipated that he would sell his combination in a SS/V wagon at the end of the U.S. Nationals that summer.

What golden days in S/S eliminator!

c

Old 06-17-2007, 11:45 PM   #7
MYRONARL1119

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

FROM DEC 20,1974 DRAGSTER. SS/U RECORD 12.86 SET 4/74 IN LA PLACE.LA BY HUTCHINSON. SS/U MPH SET 3/74 BY MR LARRY PACEY IN 1963 PONTIAC. AS U WILL RECALL SS AUTOMATIC LOWEST CLASS WAS SS/QA..THAT RECORD WAS OWNED BY AL SEGER IN THE 1972 OLDS @ 12.51 AT 110.75 MPH. HOPE THAT HELPS. MYRON STUTES

MYRONARL1119
MYRONARL1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 01:39 AM   #8
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 693 Times in 269 Posts

At Sealey, Tx about 4 ,maybe 5, years ago I saw Hutch standing behind the starting line watching the races. I walked up to him & spoke & he retured the acknowledgement, got on his bike & rode off into the pits. Didn't see him the rest of the weekend. Still looks the same, just older like we all do....We all just called him Hutch, I think there was supposed to be a Robert in the front of that.
I think Jack is still in Helena Ar. I saw him quite a few years ago at Eastex Race Cars. Vic was building a Comp altered with some kind of secret German Engineered engine. Another East Texas stand out with the old 55 chevy was Marshall Corley. I believe his was a SS/P. I ran into him last year ar Rusk. He is still active in engine building. He has turned some of the SS & stock engine tricks to work for dirt racers.

Adger Smith
Old 06-19-2007, 12:10 AM   #9
G Schenck

Liked 81 Times in 35 Posts

Adger, you being a Texan, should have also mention Jake Foyt. Here in South Louisiana, we had Ronnie Domangue "Tuff E Nuff" who runs A/SA now and Johnny Duzat "Instint Grits" who just set the record in D/S. I remember every time Duzat set the record that Larry Nelson and that crew from Zanesville Ohio would reset it.

Greg

ps James Lee is still out there running.

G Schenck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 11:22 AM   #10
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Liked 726 Times in 177 Posts

If I remember correctly, Jack Mulllins was #1 qualifier at Indy in 1975 with a 12.38. He edged out Buddy Ingersol's '72 Cutlass (changed from a '71 to take advantage of a lower hp rating that Farmer negated in the tech line on Wednesday). I saw him go 12.17 at Carlisle, AR a few weeks after Indy.