HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-08-2024, 10:01 AM   #1
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,840 Times in 1,535 Posts
Default Tech Inspection stories?

So, anybody got any old Tech/Teardown stories that they'd care to share? Controversial would be OK but can we not make it inflammatory or personal?

Reality, what a concept!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 10:24 AM   #2
GTS340

Liked 1,074 Times in 335 Posts
Default Re: Tech Inspection stories?

Many years ago and I do mean many when I actually won races. I was at Sonoma tech line. The official opened my right door, got his head under the dash. I asked what he was looking for. ( I was running Superstock). He told me he was looking for a double firewall to hide electronics. It might have been my proudest moment since I just footbrake. I believe he did find a cobweb.The good old days of tech.

Paul Haszlauer

P.S. I always wondered where the firewall idea came from. Tech person didn't have that answer.
GTS340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 10:34 AM   #3
Mike Graham

Liked 299 Times in 56 Posts
Smile Re: Tech Inspection stories?

Here is one for you.
They used to tear down at the Winternationals. We were torn down almost every year with our H/S Mustang. They musta figured that we weren't smart enough to make that car that fast. This particular time they decided that they needed to see a piston and rod too. We have the car apart waiting for verification and I am talking to another racer.
NHRA is lookiing in the interior of his car and pull out a bag of shot. They point to him and say "You are out". Then point to me and say " Take the complete interior out of yours. Keep in mind we had a piston and rod out already.
Needless to say, It was a very long night.
Mike Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 10:57 AM   #4
BTR69

Liked 43 Times in 15 Posts

Not a Class Racing event, but NHRA sanctioned nonetheless. Think it was 1991, our local brackets track was NHRA sanctioned and I ran the points for the 1st time. Had raced for a couple years already, so I thought I had my mess together. No one really inspected the footbreakers, at least I never got checked. I footbraked in Pro with my 70 Barracuda street car. The week before the NHRA bracket finals, (sponsored by Craftsman as I recall), They had everyone who qualified to go, come out for an inspection. I ended up with a list of things to straighten up, which had me scrambling all week, and I, (22 yr old know it all dummy), screwed up. Some of the list were, driveshaft loop, battery disconnect, firewall in rear (battery in trunk) and a proper battery hold down. My mistake, was the battery disconnect. I wired it incorrectly, and the engine still ran off the alternator when shutting off the switch. Found that out when NHRA tech guy checked me at the race. I pulled the alternator, got rechecked, passed, then went and found someone to show me how to unscrew my screw up properly. Got my rear end whupped early, but had a great weekend with our team.
BTR69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 11:02 AM   #5
jimmyparker

Liked 225 Times in 71 Posts

At an IHRA points race back in the seventies i was bounced by tech for driving two cars, a stocker and a bracket car. Sad part I was in the final in both classes with the stocker already at the head of staging when i was called to the tower and Ted Jones himself threw me out for driving two cars which was a rule but news to me. My only argument was the track put on the bracket race as a bonus, he didn't buy it. Surprisingly they paid me runnerup money for both classes.
jimmyparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 11:04 AM   #6
stage1scott

Liked 104 Times in 43 Posts

Indy 1974-our B/S L78 Chevelle failed due to the debris screen that should run across the windshield base over the wiper linkage was missing (no idea why or where it went). We were towing with an Olds Vista Cruiser wagon so we robbed the one off tow car and that is how both cars stayed for as long as we had them
Old 02-08-2024, 11:14 AM   #7
Bob Gullett
VIP Member

Liked 414 Times in 92 Posts

A few years ago at our local track in Calgary we had a national open. S/SS combo. We were teched by the local tech guy as the Nhra tech person wasn’t there yet He asked where’s your jackets? Said didn’t need one as at that time they weren’t mandatory. He didn’t believe it even though it was in the rule book. Said it wasn’t right and because of that we didn’t pass. Was pretty much ready to leave when the Nhra tech guy showed up. The local tech guy was told to go home and study up on the rule book and keep his personal opinions to him self. Last time that guy ever teched a sanctioned race.
Old 02-08-2024, 11:35 AM   #8
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

I bought a '69 Nova from Lloyd MacKay around 1996
Raced it without doing much to it and the engine was pretty weak
Went to a Points race at Etown and I'm pretty sure me and Mr. Nees rode back home one day at that race
Tech guy comes over to me and says they want to look at my carb ?
Ok....I take it off and hand it to them in the tech trailer and tell them maybe they have a better one in there so give me that one instead of mine.....It got a chuckle....
When I get mine back....I'm told they don't like it.....The base plate is to smooth, it measures fine and I need to get another one on there next time I race it....
I was running around 12.0's in H/SA.....IIRC
I thought that one was funny....
I have other stories but they are not so funny.....so I'll skip those....

Last edited by Rich Biebel; 02-08-2024 at 11:45 AM.
Rich Biebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 02-08-2024, 12:39 PM   #9
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,744 Times in 423 Posts

I had to pull a head at Rockingham in 2016 on my COPO because Chevrolet "remote" protested me.....
Old 02-08-2024, 01:04 PM   #10
Tom Nolan

Liked 61 Times in 10 Posts
Cool Re: Tech Inspection stories?

I had a fellow racer bring his favorite tech inspector over to "look over" my '64 Thunderbolt A/SA when it was new in Bowling Green several years ago. Together they spent at least 20 minutes going over every inch, mumbling that the Thunderbolt never should have been added to the list of acceptable cars for stock. I got to Indy, roll through tech and the "tech guy" ran full out 200 yards with his favorite fellow racer in tow to immediately have me tossed out because I had Quick fuel metering blocks on my original Holley carburetors, even though Quick fuel carbs were legal replacements! Thankfully my friend and engine builder drive 9 hours with his Holley dyno carbs so I could pass tech and race. It's not always the tech inspector.......it's their petty influencer.
Tom Nolan is online now   Reply With Quote