HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-10-2023, 12:35 AM   #1
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,493 Times in 1,708 Posts
Default Stock Eliminator,,,Boon or Bane?

I was watching the Jegs race a few weeks ago. It seemed like every ten pairs, they had to stop and patch the bald spots generated by the Stockers.
Have these cars become so specialized that they are going become a constant problem with the starting line?
Aluminum radiators, water pumps, racing brakes, racing seats, have all allowed more weight to be shifted to the 9 " tires.
Horsepower and torque numbers keep moving up and up. We know where some of it comes from, but that's not the point here.
Now we're hearing theories that the traction compound is being cut to save money in this high inflation era.

I realize that some don't think they are drag racing unless they are driving at least a low 11 wheelie machine on a well glued down track.
Others say they could get down a marginal or un-prepped track , with their dime rockets or Jr stock type station wagons.

What will the next five years see ?
Curious about your thoughts...
Old 08-10-2023, 01:49 AM   #2
GTX JOHN
VIP Member

Liked 1,886 Times in 580 Posts
Default Re: Stock Eliminator,,,Boon or Bane?

I am not at all convinced that NHRA will be viable or
relevant in 5 more years or that even Stock and Superstock
will exist in its current form.

Of Course, I hope I am totally wrong!

Our World is changing quickly and not for the
better in terms of the internal combustion engine and indeed
political regulation in all aspects of our life.
GTX JOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 10:33 AM   #3

Liked 927 Times in 240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTX JOHN View Post
I am not at all convinced that NHRA will be viable or
relevant in 5 more years or that even Stock and Superstock
will exist in its current form.

Of Course, I hope I am totally wrong!

Our World is changing quickly and not for the
better in terms of the internal combustion engine and indeed
political regulation in all aspects of our life.
If you go back 20 plus years ago on classracer, the exact same statement had been made that classracing is coming to an end. I know people that sold their cars so they wouldn't get stuck on the back end of a wave of non relevant class cars for sale. Others just parked them, only to reserect them or sell them to someone else who has.

When the Big 3 started making new HP cars again, it brought new life into the class filled with mostly 60s and 70s cars. You can go to any Div or National event and see Cobra Jets, Copos, and Drag Packs, and to extend that, the engines in these cars put into older cars. The fact that some races such as Gainseville fill up in 8 minutes, or we bitch that we want 180 a quota at Indy, shows we still have enough car counts to keep it viable. We get almost 100 stockers and 80 Super Stockers at D1 races and I know of people with cars broken waiting for parts, and some still building cars. Some associations also have a big following, with some cars that don't participate in NHRA any more,

I think the biggest problems that we are facing right now are race tracks closing, which I see being a problem because of real estate value, and buyouts by businesses such as Amazon warehouses and Insurance auctions. The other problem we could face would be government regulation, not just us but all forms of racing. I am hoping that lobbying and public pressure like has been put on recently with the race cars with a VIn and aftermarket parts debacle will prevail or at least delay it.

I am not sure the problem with traction. One theory is the new traction compound that was made when it was in shortage last year, doesn't work well in direct sun. I was in Ohio also, and it seemed the Stick cars were leaving bald spots, and after each stick car they would put down the gold dust and spray. I have been very lucky that although my car leaves on the wheelie bar every run, I can hook everywhere and can't remember the last time I spun. I think hp, clutch, shock, tire, and converter technology have really helped with cars dropping 60ft times, and of course Calvert bars was the forefront, allowing mid 9 second cars to hook on 9" tires regularly.
I hope John is wrong, and I am able travel the country like Tim and Linda Barrett when I retire, and not take up another hobby.

1342 SS/GT
1347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 10:52 AM   #4
Don Kennedy
VIP Member

Liked 803 Times in 213 Posts

NHRA Has a very tough job in balancing the Company . They have to look at their bottom line and make tuff decisions too. They will be around for a Long time, All a person has to do to understand the decisions NHRA makes is to Put your self in their shoes in balancing the races to try and satisfy their audience, their racers, and their sponsors. and their bottom line It seems to me they do a good job doing the balancing jobs
Old 08-10-2023, 10:52 AM   #5
GTS340

Liked 1,074 Times in 335 Posts

Thanks for cheering me up guys.It took me only 3 years to get the 5.7 Hemi project's engine in line at the dyno room. All those other engines got there first. This Monday for my lonely engine sitting there. I have learned lately for other reasons. Enjoy it while you can.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dyno room.PNG
Views:	331
Size:	569.2 KB
ID:	68010   Click image for larger version

Name:	dyno time.PNG
Views:	311
Size:	786.8 KB
ID:	68011  
GTS340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 11:43 AM   #6
VE6DRW

Liked 26 Times in 9 Posts

The demise of NHRA, along with Stock and Super Stock, has been predicted for decades. Yet, spectator attendance at NHRA National events continues to increase. Fans go to see the PROs and a big show; only a few dedicated fans appreciate the sportsman classes.

However, I think a lot of the problem is self-generated by "class racers"; in that the rise of high-tech fast cars by well financed teams is driving "hobbyist" participants out of active racing. Escalating travel costs are also contributing to the issue.

I think NHRA are exacerbating the problem with an outdated format at regional and divisional events, especially when it comes to payouts and the manufacturer contingency program.

I might suggest the following for discussion:
  1. Lower all Stock and SS indexes by at least 4 tenths.
  2. Eliminate heads-up no-breakout racing at all but a few select national events (ie: where classes are run).
  3. Eliminate the AHFS – move to an annual review based on yearly stats.
  4. Loosen fuel regulations at divisional and regional events.
  5. Double up all divisional and regional events on extended weekends (to reduce travel costs)
  6. Increase prize money at regional and divisional races by at least 50% (minimum $3,000 – ideally $5,000 - to win)
  7. Eliminate the grade-point system for national event entry. Maximum 64 cars in each class – 1st come 1st served - entry criteria.
  8. Reduce the number of national events for Stock and SS – perhaps 6 maximum (based on geographic regions). Alternate with other sportsman classes at national events to keep overall car counts manageable.
  9. Restructure the divisional and national title system for sportsman racers to promote easy participation and reduce travel costs.
  10. Eliminate the manufacturer contingency program. NHRA can adopt a fee-based manufacturers certification/participation program and channel fees into the sportsman prize money.
  11. Coordinate the individual class-racer associations (12 – at last count) under an umbrella organization to influence event sponsorship from manufacturers and increase payouts.

These are simply brainstorming ideas to provoke discussion. Please, no need for trolls or flame-throwers …

Dave White
NHRA Stock/SS 606

Last edited by VE6DRW; 08-10-2023 at 03:19 PM.
VE6DRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 11:59 AM   #7
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VE6DRW View Post
The demise of NHRA, along with Stock and Super Stock, has been predicted for decades. Yet, spectator attendance at NHRA National events continues to increase. Fans go to see the PROs and a big show; only a few dedicated fans appreciate the sportsman classes.

However, I think a lot of the problem is self-generated by "class racers"; in that the rise of high-tech fast cars by well financed teams is driving "hobbyist" participants out of active racing. Escalating travel costs are also contributing to the issue.

I think NHRA are exacerbating the problem with an outdated format at regional and divisional events, especially when it comes to payouts and the manufacturer contingency program.

2. Eliminate heads-up no-breakout racing at all but a few select national events (ie: where classes are run).
  5. Double up all divisional and regional events on extended weekends (to reduce travel costs)
  6. Increase prize money at regional and divisional races by at least 50% (minimum $3,000 – ideally $5,000 - to win)
  7. Eliminate the grade-point system for national event entry. Maximum 64 cars in each class – 1st come 1st served - entry criteria.
  8. Reduce the number of national events for Stock and SS – perhaps 6 maximum (based on geographic regions). Alternate with other sportsman classes at national events to keep overall car counts manageable.
  9. Restructure the divisional and national title system for sportsman racers to promote easy participation and reduce travel costs.
  10. Eliminate the manufacturer contingency program. NHRA can adopt a fee-based manufacturers certification/participation program and channel fees into the sportsman prize money.
  11. Coordinate the individual class-racer associations (12 – at last count) under an umbrella organization to influence event sponsorship from manufacturers and increase payouts.

These are simply brainstorming ideas to provoke discussion. Please, no need for trolls or flame-throwers …
Thanks for the post... You forgot, Class winners first at Indy.
That will liven things up even more.
Old 08-10-2023, 12:09 PM   #8
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Before we get too far off course..

I should have been more clear in my original post.
It was specifically to address the high powered Stockers on 9" tires, and their propensity to tear into the track and create bald spots.

Will NHRA decide that these cars need bigger tires? (been there, done that)

Will shaky or poor traction become the norm, and thereby pushing some guys and gals back into the proverbial " hooks in a car wash" type cars"

Could you or would you go back into a slower, 2 bbl station wagon, like the one that won recently?

Not being controversial on purpose , or trying to spread doom and gloom. ;-)
Old 08-10-2023, 12:12 PM   #9
Terry Cain

Liked 224 Times in 103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
Thanks for the post... You forgot, Class winners first at Indy.
That will liven things up even more.
Like that idea and let's even the field and let the old stockers run Roller cams like 60 % of the entrances have with the new cars.
Old 08-10-2023, 12:54 PM   #10
Jack Matyas
Live Reporter

Liked 1,611 Times in 329 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jack Matyas
Talking Re: Stock Eliminator,,,Boon or Bane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VE6DRW View Post

1) Lowering indexes will do nothing
2)See # 1
3) We need the AHFS - just need some tweaks
4)See #1 again
5)That would help but is very hard on the workers - both track people and NHRA workers
6)Won't happen
7)System is very much needed
8)I personally would like to go to more National events not less
9)Easier said than done
10)Do that and you'll lose manufactures
11)You'll never get 2 of them to agree to think alike let alone 12 .

All that plus I don't consider myself a troll or flamer !! Thanks for trying .

BTW - IF YOU WANT TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY USE YOUR GIVEN REAL NAME.