HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-10-2020, 05:50 PM   #1
chevyguy

Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
Default Rick Barratt Indy 69 Gold Yenko SS/D

This Gold 69 Yenko camaro was bought new by Rick Barratt at Nankivell Chevrolet in Indy. It was campaigned in NHRA SS/D in Division 3 and ran at the 1970 US Nationals in Indy. We are currently looking for more vintage pictures and information on this car. (we have the car just looking for information).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DB1ECB7B-D88D-40FF-8DD4-A64411AAB01E.jpeg
Views:	1285
Size:	356.4 KB
ID:	53330  
chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 11:02 PM   #2
The Hawk
VIP Member

Liked 248 Times in 106 Posts
Send a message via AIM to The Hawk
Default Re: Rick Barratt Indy 69 Gold Yenko SS/D

What a cool pic!

It`s Not What You Drive That Wins....It`s How You Drive It
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 07:23 PM   #3
Project 392

Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts

Is this a Yenko or COPO? I can't identify Yenko emblems or markings from this picture. ZL-1? I seem to remember Nankivell had a handfull of ZL-1's lined up in the front row by the highway. Slow sellers as I remember. There was a guy on the east side of Indy (Mike Strange?) that had a gold 69 Yenko Camaro 427. Street car that became an A/MP with a clutch-flite from M&M. Flat towed no less!

Victor in Kingman
Project 392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 10:45 PM   #4
chevyguy

Its a Yenko that the original owner Rick Barratt removed all the yenko emblems and stripes and raced the car. They only made 10 olympic gold yenko camaros this is the only one Nankivell Chevrolet sold.
Old 01-11-2020, 11:20 PM   #5
chevyguy

Original owner Rick Barratt at Indy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1C2D27C6-9294-4AB8-98BE-9CFA849BB5A6.jpeg
Views:	745
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	53372  
Old 01-12-2020, 12:35 PM   #6
chevyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project 392 View Post
Is this a Yenko or COPO? I can't identify Yenko emblems or markings from this picture. ZL-1? I seem to remember Nankivell had a handfull of ZL-1's lined up in the front row by the highway. Slow sellers as I remember. There was a guy on the east side of Indy (Mike Strange?) that had a gold 69 Yenko Camaro 427. Street car that became an A/MP with a clutch-flite from M&M. Flat towed no less!

Victor in Kingman
Interested in hearing more about Mikes gold yenko. Do you know Mike??
Old 01-12-2020, 10:06 PM   #7
Project 392

Haven't seen or heard of Mike since about 1970 or so. I was 19/20 then and now not 100% sure of his last name. I believe I have it right. I went with them a few times to the IRP and Muncie strips. Tri-State or Edgewater in Ohio too. Still got a couple hedgy tales about Mike, his car, his buddy, his business and his girl friend. Probably not suitable for public consumption though! There is a tale about the last time I saw the car too. Nothing that would do anybody any good now. Just car crazy hooligans and their hot rods! Damn those were fun times!

Victor in Kingman
Old 01-13-2020, 07:51 AM   #8
chevyguy

Quote:
Haven't seen or heard of Mike since about 1970 or so. I was 19/20 then and now not 100% sure of his last name. I believe I have it right. I went with them a few times to the IRP and Muncie strips. Tri-State or Edgewater in Ohio too. Still got a couple hedgy tales about Mike, his car, his buddy, his business and his girl friend. Probably not suitable for public consumption though! There is a tale about the last time I saw the car too. Nothing that would do anybody any good now. Just car crazy hooligans and their hot rods! Damn those were fun times!

Victor in Kingman
I talked to guy that confirmed that Mike Strange did also own a gold 69 yenko (only made 10 gold Yenkos camaros total in 1969) (Mikes car must have came from Gates Chevrolet in Mishawaka, Indiana or Joesph Chevrolet in Cincinnati, Ohio both these dealers also sold gold 69 yenko camaros both within 150 miles from Indy area. I am sure you dont have any pictures of his car.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:19 PM   #9
Project 392

Sorry, no pics that I can recall. I don't think it would have been impossible for him to have gotten it direct from Yenko. More than one guy from Indy went to the likes of Mr. Norm's or Baldwin (Motion) for their cars back then. I heard a rumor of one who went to Phoenix for a 401 Gremlin from Randall AMC. True or not? Dunno.

Victor in Kingman
Old 01-13-2020, 06:06 PM   #10
chevyguy

Quote:
Sorry, no pics that I can recall. I don't think it would have been impossible for him to have gotten it direct from Yenko. More than one guy from Indy went to the likes of Mr. Norm's or Baldwin (Motion) for their cars back then. I heard a rumor of one who went to Phoenix for a 401 Gremlin from Randall AMC. True or not? Dunno.

Victor in Kingman
I totally agree that alot of guys went directly to the hi performance dealers to buy there cars regardless of how far the dealership were from where they lived. In the case of the 10 gold 69 yenko camaro all were converted at yenko early 1969 and only 1 (The first one) was sold directly at Yenko in Canonsburg, PA. Mike’s old gold yenko isnt the one that sold in Canonsburg, PA. all the others were converted at Yenko and shipped to there respective Yenko network selling dealers.

Last edited by chevyguy; 01-14-2020 at 11:01 AM.