HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-19-2007, 12:07 PM   #1
Dave Goob Cook

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Just wondering.....

What is to keep the fuel injected cars that are class legal from using the traction control and ABS brake capabilities of the O.E. computers, or even tweaking ECM's that may not be for the exact model they are being used in?
What happens when someone takes one of these cars to a bracket race?

Seems like a whole can of worms that aren't allowed in any other forms of NHRA drag racing have been opened up here to me.......I know those parts of the ECM's may not do much for all out performance, like qualifying or class eliminations, but how good would it be when it comes time to dial in for eliminations??

Just some random thoughts, from a bracket racer that isn't even allowed to use my perfectly legal replay tach and RPM shifting functions of my perfectly legal delay box.
Dave Goob Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 07:22 PM   #2
Dave Goob Cook

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Just wondering.....

As an afterthought, how are any of those F.I. "drive by wire" throttle controls legal?
Or are they?

Every other non-electronics class must have throttle control by mechanical linkage controlled by the driver directly, no electric, hydraulic, or pneumatic controls or stops allowed.

If I were to read and interpret the rules correctly, I cannot run my wife's '05 Pontiac in Stock, Super/Stock, or non-delay brackets legally. I know there is the O.E.M. hook in the rules, but what is to prevent tampering, and better yet, how would tampering with those systems be detected?

The rules for every NHRA class prohibit magnetic counters on the wheels, yet all 4-wheel ABS equipped cars have magnets on every wheel.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:15 PM   #3
jerrym

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Goob are you tryin to start ****? How the he l l have you been ?

Jeremy Mitchell
jerrym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 04:25 PM   #4
Bruce Witherspoon

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Goob Cook View Post
What is to keep the fuel injected cars that are class legal from using the traction control and ABS brake capabilities of the O.E. computers, or even tweaking ECM's that may not be for the exact model they are being used in?
What happens when someone takes one of these cars to a bracket race?

Seems like a whole can of worms that aren't allowed in any other forms of NHRA drag racing have been opened up here to me.......I know those parts of the ECM's may not do much for all out performance, like qualifying or class eliminations, but how good would it be when it comes time to dial in for eliminations??

Just some random thoughts, from a bracket racer that isn't even allowed to use my perfectly legal replay tach and RPM shifting functions of my perfectly legal delay box.
Last that I knew it was not legal to have "any" device capable of reading wheel speed. It seems that this whole discussion went on a few years ago. Without wheel/axle delta speed, this would be virtually impossible.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:27 PM   #5
Bruce Witherspoon

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Goob Cook View Post
As an afterthought, how are any of those F.I. "drive by wire" throttle controls legal?
Or are they?

Every other non-electronics class must have throttle control by mechanical linkage controlled by the driver directly, no electric, hydraulic, or pneumatic controls or stops allowed.

If I were to read and interpret the rules correctly, I cannot run my wife's '05 Pontiac in Stock, Super/Stock, or non-delay brackets legally. I know there is the O.E.M. hook in the rules, but what is to prevent tampering, and better yet, how would tampering with those systems be detected?

The rules for every NHRA class prohibit magnetic counters on the wheels, yet all 4-wheel ABS equipped cars have magnets on every wheel.
Cable operated throttle bodies are required.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:46 PM   #6
Stick Racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My son has a 06 GTO with a button on the console marked T/C. Programmed to come on when you start the engine. Push the button and the traction control is disabled. A light on the dash shows what mode it's in.

Car comes from the factory with it-much like computer controlled tune-up, shifting points ect.

So, what's the problem?

Andy Stone B/S 1102
Stick Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 06:45 PM   #7
Stick Racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oops, jumped on that one too quick...I see we are talking about bracket racing.

I know a guy with the MSD box that has traction control capability. He claims it works off of a 'slew rate'.
You must make several runs to get a baseline. Then if you make a run where the tires start to spin-which makes the engine rpms accelerate faster, it retards the timing. No magnets, wires, or linkage.

Everytime I ask him about it, he saids its not hooked up. He doesn't race that much and doesn't win too often. Always local races.

The car works very well. The driver needs work.

Andy Stone
Stick Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:31 AM   #8
Dave Goob Cook

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
Goob are you tryin to start ****? How the he l l have you been ?

Jeremy Mitchell
Of course Bro, you know me......inquiring mind, or inadequate mind, or lost my mind, or something like that......

Been doing okay, missing some racing.

So, Bruce, I would need to retrofit a cable operated throttle body onto that particular car to be legal in Stock Eliminator, which would also be technically true for brackets.....???

I know about the T/C switch, from what I understand, on the O.E. drivers it will just mess you up if you are dialing in, the Matty 4-step and the illegal MSD boxes work about the same way, as does the Davis Technologies devices.....some learn, some are preset. Those devices in my opinion are useless to a bracket racer, but could be of benefit to an overpowered/under tired car running heads up.

Last edited by Dave Goob Cook; 10-26-2007 at 01:36 AM.