HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-14-2007, 08:59 PM   #1
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Liked 509 Times in 128 Posts
Angry Electrical help PLEASE

Guys first off I HATE electrical issues. My car last weekend shut off on every run I made.It would quit and then pick back up and quit again. No particular spot. One run in first gear, then second, then second and third. You get the idea. The last run it made it shut off completly. It would not restart. I found the fuses on my switch panel had blown. The ignition switch and electric fan switch fuses were blown.If you replace them and turn on the ignition switch they blow instantly. We checked for loose wires, bad grounds, bad switches, etc. Ive had this problem for 3 races now. Have changed a number of things with no results. Ive been told the only way to find it is to rewire the whole car. That sounds like a fun weekend or longer. Any ideas for me. I have a old style arc switch panel with the fuses in front. I have a MSD 7AL2 witha crank trigger. MSD 3 step also. This problem only seems to surface on runs. In the pits no problem in the water no problem.Thanks.

Ed Carpenter

66 Chevy II

4244 SS/H
Ed Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 10:24 PM   #2
castle5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Electrical help PLEASE

if a few blows instantly it sounds like a dead short on hot wire. did you try disconnecting fan motor and see if fuse blows .. look for rubbed thru wire shorting against metal. these can be tough..
castle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 11:45 PM   #3
Todd Bailey

Liked 28 Times in 14 Posts

Ed,

Like Castle 5 said:Check the ground wire(s).

It almost entails disconnecting EVERYTHING and then reconnecting components one at a time until, hopefully, the fuses blow again so you can pinpoint the problem. Electrical problems will drive you up the wall.

best of luck
Todd Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 11:58 PM   #4
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,218 Times in 313 Posts

It sounds like you have a bad wire going to either the ignition box or the electric fan, or both. It is also possible you have an intermittent short in either the fan motor or the ignition box. It's next to impossible to diagnose an electrical issue without seeing the vehicle.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:26 AM   #5
Uncrated
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This test will let you know if it is the wiring or the component. Make up a ?test wire? rated for the component load. Then add an in-line fuse holder and install a fuse rated for the component. Disconnect your wiring harness from the component and connect the test wire. Using an alligator clip connect the test wire to battery power.

If the fuse blows, the component has a problem. If the component operates normally, then the problem is elsewhere.

Larry Woodfin
Uncrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 09:53 AM   #6
Dave Goob Cook

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Your electric fan should be on a relay if it isn't already.
Dave Goob Cook is offline   Reply With Quote