HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-22-2007, 10:07 PM   #1
chupiw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default replacement 12 bolt rear

Since original 12 bolt rears are getting harder to find, Is a moser replacement 12 bolt rear legal for stock class? Forgive me for asking and maybe sounding dumb, I am new to stock class racing. I need to get a new rule book, lost the one i had, but if memory serves me correctly you have to use a factory type rear. I know that there are grey areas where rules are concerned, so I was wondering if anyone is using a newer repacement 12 bolt like the Moser and passing tech. It just seems like it would be nice to use a new setup.
Any information appreciated. Thanks
chupiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 11:03 PM   #2
RIBEIRO RACING

Thumbs up Re: replacement 12 bolt rear

Chupiw,

Yes, you can and that's a good move..They make a very good set-up, that bolts right in to your car.............LOL................ Dave...1033/stock(350 pont)

Last edited by RIBEIRO RACING; 09-22-2007 at 11:12 PM.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:21 PM   #3
chupiw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: replacement 12 bolt rear

Thanks Dave, I figured I could go that route, I am hesitant about building up a housing that is 30 years+ old, I would rather invest the money in a complete moser setup that will bolt right in with all new parts. I am trying to build as solid and reliable setup as possible and I dont want to do things twice.
chupiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 11:38 PM   #4
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,218 Times in 313 Posts

Most all of the companies that sell rear ends use the KTRE housing for their heavy duty 12 bolt stuff. The KTRE housing is great, because it is thick, and stiff, and you can get it with a 3.250 carrier bearing bore, so you can use an aluminum spool and 35 spline axles.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:29 AM   #5
Oldtimer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you are going to get a Moser rear check prices then call Lynn McCarty at 317-839-8378 and he will beat any price. The rear will ship from Moser direct to you. Any other questions call me 903-277-9947.
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 02:43 AM   #6
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,805 Times in 1,828 Posts

I think you will find that most of the replacement 12 bolts have the upper trailing arm mounts already raised up, which is another good reason to go with the new unit.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:07 AM   #7
NovaMan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Roehrich View Post
Most all of the companies that sell rear ends use the KTRE housing for their heavy duty 12 bolt stuff. The KTRE housing is great, because it is thick, and stiff, and you can get it with a 3.250 carrier bearing bore, so you can use an aluminum spool and 35 spline axles.
It's interesting that you point that out. I was internet recently researching aftermarket 12-bolt options, and I wondered how many companies actually cast their own center sections.
The companies I looked at are Mark Williams, Moser, and Strange. MW says they use DTS Express/KTRE cast ductile iron center sections with cast caps, available with stock 3.062" carrier bores or larger 3.250" carrier bores for people who want to run 35 spline axles.
Strange claims they use a "Strange designed 12-bolt case with torque arm provision." It's nodular iron, and the caps are chrome-moly. They make no mention of carrier bore diameter, but they don't offer 35-spline axles in any of their crate rearend packages.
Moser uses nodular centers with high nodular content cast iron caps held in with 1/2" bolts. They don't mention carrier bores, and they don't package 35 spline axles with these rearends.
Based solely on that information, I think I would go with the MW/DTS/KTRE unit with the larger 3.250" carrier bore so I could use 35 spline axles. I also think it's cool that MW makes FED chassis kits and parts for '57-64 Olds/Pontiac rearends.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:04 PM   #8
rx dealer

Liked 53 Times in 13 Posts

I use the DTS 3.25 12 bolt with strange 40 spline gun drilled axles and chrome moly tubes in my firebird...luke
rx dealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 07:17 PM   #9
RocketBlock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Roehrich View Post
Then this is the aftermarket block of rear ends? Looking at the rulebook it says "same type from the automobile manufacturer"
RocketBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 07:19 PM   #10
Joe Martens

Liked 191 Times in 66 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Joe Martens

Mike Pustelney from MPR set me up with the Mark Williams stuff, which the housing is made by DTS, with the 35 spline axles. Great guy to deal with and great prices. Call him at 810-798-8998.