HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-13-2016, 01:28 AM   #1
SStockDart
VIP Member

Liked 464 Times in 175 Posts
Default Pro Stock weight

I know, I know this is not a stock or super stock comment.

It seems that Chevrolets dominate pro stock.......qualifying and eliminations. How about making a weight adjustment, subject to change, and give the Mopars 50 pounds and ford's 100 pounds. Change when necessary to keep it equal.

I am sure people will say..""work harder and you will go faster".....that hasn't happened. I would like to see qualifying within a hun.
Old 11-13-2016, 06:17 AM   #2
Mike Schwartz

Liked 192 Times in 65 Posts
Default Re: Pro Stock weight

The qualifying spread at Pomona is .114. It was even better, .075 at Las Vegas. An average spread around .100 is excellent in any Pro category. Not even Super categories can qualify 16 cars within .01

Weight breaks haven't been used in NHRA Pro Stock in 34 years, but that hasn't prevented Fords and Mopars from winning races and championships in the meantime.
Mike Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 07:02 AM   #3
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,743 Times in 858 Posts

Have to admit it's been a surprise that the Elite bunch couldn't get the Darts competitive. No telling what the Johnsons could have done with Mopar backing but that's another story. IMHO weight adjustments by NHRA would be a joke...the cream would rise to the top just like in PSM.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 08:41 AM   #4
cutta

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SStockDart View Post
I know, I know this is not a stock or super stock comment.

It seems that Chevrolets dominate pro stock.......qualifying and eliminations. How about making a weight adjustment, subject to change, and give the Mopars 50 pounds and ford's 100 pounds. Change when necessary to keep it equal.

I am sure people will say..""work harder and you will go faster".....that hasn't happened. I would like to see qualifying within a hun.
Molar and Ford will suffer most from having a limited knowledge base. There's just less people to learn or get information from. And that's from the dyno room to the racetrack. Those motors differ in enough aspects such that they want something different and it doesn't quite translate between brands. I'm comparison to gm, there's such a vast knowledge base to gain knowledge from especially if your a newcomer. I blame no one for choosing gm, it's your best opportunity for success. Lots of well funded people have tried to be competitive with Ford or mopar(mostly due to brand funding) but rarely do you get individuals who sustain those efforts when they're not immediately competitive. Obviously people have to make a living but as a mopar fan, it's sad to see mopar numbers continue to dwindle and Allen and Roy are a stone's throw from retirement. Hopefully Alex Prusiensky stays with it for a while. V retired, Kramer and Elite , looks to be switching, so it's disappointing. My opinion of course
cutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 08:57 AM   #5
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 415 Times in 200 Posts

Pro Stock is dead and the NHRA is going to pull the plug on it as we currently know it within 5 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutta View Post
Hopefully Alex Prusiensky stays with it for a while.
The engine now in Alan's car was purchased from Elite. He didn't qualify at Vegas with it and is #16 at Pomona, .023 slower than #15. He's got a long way to go and lots of $ to spend before he is competitive.

Last edited by 1320racer; 11-13-2016 at 09:05 AM.
1320racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 10:21 AM   #6
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

MOPAR needs to get off that Hemi crap, and develope a decent cylinder head. Low air flow = low power.
Old 11-13-2016, 10:43 AM   #7
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,079 Times in 282 Posts

You can't fix Pro Stock.

1. Ford and Chrysler don't really want to play.

2. NHRA has no idea what they're doing.

3. You can't outlaw extreme spending.

4. The cars do not remotely resemble production street cars anymore.

5. Fans that are catered to are interested in fuel cars.

But boy, fuel injection sure did help, didn't it? And the hood scoop rule, and the parking rule, and the wheelie bar rule ........
Old 11-13-2016, 11:01 AM   #8
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,840 Times in 1,535 Posts

IMHO, Factory Stock = 21st Century Pro Stock! And all of the Manufacturers want to play.

Reality, what a concept!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 12:12 PM   #9
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,079 Times in 282 Posts

NHRA will not be bothered with Pro Stock that requires weight breaks, factors, or other adjustments.

The 500 cubic inch 2350 pound version of Pro Stock is actually the most healthy and most sustainable over time.

Some of the money can be negated by common sense rules. Take them back to a 14"x32" slick. A body template rule with reasonable scoop and spoiler limits, which will also make them look like factory cars. Modify the EFI rule and take the throttle body size down. Get rid of some exotic materials.

Factory Stock works now because it is something like the old muscle car wars, where the customers are absorbing the costs of development to a large degree ($100K per car makes it somewhat affordable to amortize it when most of what changes is just the engine). Even better, no insurance problems or government safety and emission regulations.

As soon as you take that to a professional level, the customers don't absorb so much of the cost, they expect parts, cars, and development help. Not only that, they expect new combinations to beat the factors when weight breaks and factors get involved. Not to mention NHRA then has to make the three of them happy with factors, and then you have the nightmare of factoring small engines against big engines, supercharged against normally aspirated, etc.
Old 11-13-2016, 12:57 PM   #10
Carguy49
VIP Member

Liked 2,284 Times in 607 Posts

Let Pro Stock die. There is nothing STOCK about them anymore. I lost interest many years ago, and I followed the class since it's beginning in 1970.