HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-12-2015, 10:08 PM   #1
gnicholson

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Talking Finish line driving techniques

Ive been bracket racing a long time and been in super street for about 10 years. I usually race atleast 3 divisional races a year. Unfortunately I dont do much else do to time constraints ,track closures etc. Ive never been very good at being the slow car even in s st where the cars are usually not much more than 10 mph faster than I am "138" I have a hard time judging closure rates and making myself peddle the car. I usually do pretty fair because I have a good handle on my car but im getting tired of breaking out when the car speeds up more than I think once in awhile and taking 10 ft of stripe. Do you guys have any tips or resource suggestions they may help me be less of a dumbass
gnicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 12:47 AM   #2
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,928 Times in 646 Posts
Default Re: Finish line driving techniques

I don't run it anymore but when I did I was in the 125-128 neighborhood and liked being the slower car. Look at it this way, you have the first opportunity to get there. Even now I run I/SA and 90% of the time I am the slower car. It always helps to know what you are running ET wise but the best advise I ever got was you cant be afraid of giving up the stripe every once in a while in order to make it tight. One other thing I always try to do is before the run is familiarize myself with my opponent's mph and where I think they should be in any given moment on the track compared to me during the run. In other words how the run should play out in my head before the race ever actually happens. Good luck.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:30 AM   #3
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,656 Times in 507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HR9121 View Post
I don't run it anymore but when I did I was in the 125-128 neighborhood and liked being the slower car. Look at it this way, you have the first opportunity to get there. Even now I run I/SA and 90% of the time I am the slower car. It always helps to know what you are running ET wise but the best advise I ever got was you cant be afraid of giving up the stripe every once in a while in order to make it tight. One other thing I always try to do is before the run is familiarize myself with my opponent's mph and where I think they should be in any given moment on the track compared to me during the run. In other words how the run should play out in my head before the race ever actually happens. Good luck.
Very good advise in this post. Racing at any of the NHRA events is tough. running over several day can be an issue if the weather changes so you need good data from all types of conditions to dial your car in. in your case set the throttle stop timer. When you are the slow car the best bet is to be better on the tree and run closer to the number than your opponent. I run a super stock car and am usually the first to leave on most runs. I rarely get to lift at the top end and maybe just tap the brake at the very end of the run.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:47 PM   #4
gnicholson

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Thanks for the responses. I need to just keep at it. I really dont race enough anymore. 4 or 5 times a year. It seems like once I run one tight race im fine. Next month or 2 ill do the same dumb stuff
gnicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 10:41 AM   #5
Another Friendly Racer

Liked 11 Times in 3 Posts

I have raced a car that would be chased 9 out of 10 runs with some success. Try setting up for a 10.88-10.87 and start getting used to scrubbing off E.T. Do it in time trials every run. Know in eliminations that you will be on the brakes. It's a critical skill to develop if you ever want to win regularly. Also, I highly suggest putting a data recorder on your car. Consistency is crucial, and the top guys usually have the most consistent race cars.
Another Friendly Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 01:21 PM   #6
Lenny5160

Liked 432 Times in 225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Friendly Racer View Post
I have raced a car that would be chased 9 out of 10 runs with some success. Try setting up for a 10.88-10.87 and start getting used to scrubbing off E.T. Do it in time trials every run. Know in eliminations that you will be on the brakes. It's a critical skill to develop if you ever want to win regularly. Also, I highly suggest putting a data recorder on your car. Consistency is crucial, and the top guys usually have the most consistent race cars.
This is great advice. Knowing you are going to lift, but having to judge how much is a lot easier than deciding whether to lift or not.

Yes, you will screw it up. My saying is, if you don't give it back once in awhile then you aren't making it tight enough! Same philosophy as having the occasional red light; it is going to happen if you are being aggressive enough to win.

Tony Leonard
Lenny5160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 05:07 PM   #7
Rollins_2241

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You simply must master spot-dropping to win regularly in a slower Super class car. It's an absurdly simple, yet effective technique to do more with less. Once you get mentally used to the idea that you will always drop, and just vary the spot, you will hit and miss the dial in the same as before, but gain the crucial advantage of surprise against the opponent. The good ones will know to catch your drop, but they won't know when it's coming, and will make far more mistakes than if you give them a "clean wheel".
Rollins_2241 is offline   Reply With Quote