HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-19-2013, 11:58 AM   #1
Jim Caughlin

Liked 709 Times in 213 Posts
Default Kevlar pilot bushings

Anyone have experience with these? Obviously, the bronze bushings don't last. I currently run the needle bearing style but they have somewhat limited life as well. Just curious if the kevlar bushing is the answer. I'd like to hear if anyone has actual experience with these, not just something that you read in a magazine.

Jim Caughlin
SS 6019
Jim Caughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:36 PM   #2
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,467 Times in 548 Posts
Default Re: Kevlar pilot bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Caughlin View Post
Anyone have experience with these? Obviously, the bronze bushings don't last. I currently run the needle bearing style but they have somewhat limited life as well. Just curious if the kevlar bushing is the answer. I'd like to hear if anyone has actual experience with these, not just something that you read in a magazine.

Jim Caughlin
SS 6019
Jim, if you do a search, a lot of people have suffered failures with the so called "Kevlar" pilot bushing.

Since I am familiar with the material, I did an internet search and what they are calling "Kevlar" is actually a Nylon bushing and the reason why they do not last. So in a nutshell, I believe they are selling a Nylon product by giving it a flashy name.

Kevlar's properties are not conducive for such application. Delrin or Polyether Ether Ketone (PEEK) materials would be.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:20 PM   #3
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 298 Times in 158 Posts

GM had roller bearings for the 6.2 diesel that would interchange with a "stock" bronze Chevy bearing- not sure what you have been using but worth a look-- they would last a season or more at high rpms too with no difficulty--- machining one from delryn or other products should not be a problem for a good machinist you only need to get a source for some material to make the bushings---
FED 387
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:32 PM   #4
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 298 Times in 158 Posts

#14061685 is the GM part number for that bearing about $11-14 dollars--FED 387
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:01 PM   #5
Jim Caughlin

Didn't think about PEEK, we use it at work and it works very well as a wear surface, good idea. I currently use a GM size needle bearing unit, they last for a full season but do wear out. I had one come apart once and it was a royal pain to remove. Maybe it is best to just accept that they wear out on a yearly basis and need to be replaced. Just thinking about better ideas.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:07 PM   #6
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,467 Times in 548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Caughlin View Post
Didn't think about PEEK, we use it at work and it works very well as a wear surface, good idea. I currently use a GM size needle bearing unit, they last for a full season but do wear out. I had one come apart once and it was a royal pain to remove. Maybe it is best to just accept that they wear out on a yearly basis and need to be replaced. Just thinking about better ideas.
PEEK will take the abuse and loads better than Delrin or Nylon.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:35 PM   #7
james schaechter
VIP Member

Liked 1,299 Times in 261 Posts

We have run a kevlar bearing and it has done well. I think RAM sells or markets it. 3 seasons on it.
I would say that if you have the crank out, do it all the way and install a sealed bearing. Never ever had a failure there. From a 10,000 rpm modified to a stocker.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:54 PM   #8
Bill Edgeworth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDiv6 View Post
PEEK will take the abuse and loads better than Delrin or Nylon.
PEEK is a great resin, way better than nylon and better than Delrin and also much more expensive. However I think there are some newer composite resins like Hydlar which I think is a Kevlar filled nylon that gives both strength and lubricity. The old glass filled nylons had good strength but also caused wear on the shafts they were supporting. (I'm speaking as a plastics guy, not specifically about transmission applications)

Not sure how easy it is to machine or suitable for a pilot bushing.......there is getting to be an awful lot of engineering resins on the market with special purpose fillers in them.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:25 AM   #9
Run to Rund

Liked 46 Times in 24 Posts

South Bend Clutch used Kevlar bushings for a while in diesel applications.
Use your dial indicator to make sure the bellhousing is dead centered, and the trans surface is parallel to the block/crank flange. It is very common for them to be out. Lakewood etc. offer offset dowel pins.
Run to Rund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:00 PM   #10
Jim Caughlin

Maybe I'm missing something here, is there a sealed bearing (as opposed to an open cage type bearing) that will hold up? In my case, I'm using the open cage type. I pack it full of grease when I first install it but obviously a few 10,000 RPM launches and I assume all of that grease exits the bearing in a short period of time and the bearing is in an unlubed state and eventually fails. In additon, the grease flings into the bellhousing and makes a big mess. As the sealed bearing would not be a press fit onto the pilot, does it spin free enough to be effective or is it just going to gaul the pilot? I'm thinking of either machining a bushing out of PEEK and/or utilizing a sealed bearing that spins adequately free, either should improve my situation. Any thoughts?