HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-18-2012, 03:05 PM   #1
Greg Hill
VIP Member

Liked 270 Times in 68 Posts
Default New cars, old cars and horsepower ratings.

Since it looks like NHRA is not going to properly factor these new cars and Ford is going to continue to bring out slightly different combinations each year I would propose that the older cars should be able to run these motors in stock also. I think this is only fair since none of these new cars came with the motors they are running. All you would have to do is make the GM fast burn motor legal for GM cars at around 300 hp so we would have something comparable to the Ford 352 and the Dodge 360. I know this sounds like heresy coming from me but I think it's the only answer to keep a lot of the old cars and old guys competing in the next few years.

I truly thought about going to Indy this year for the first time since 2008, but I opened up the entries list and there was a new mustang and a new challenger in my class and that made my mind up not to go. Even though I have a pretty fast E/SA car I would be a half second behind these two new cars. Now if I would of had a fast burn crate motor it could of been a pretty good race. This probably sound pretty radical, but because NHRA has chosen to not properly factor these cars, I don't see any other way around the problem. I would much rather see these combinations factored where they should be, but it seems like that's not going to happen.

Just imagine Larry Hill getting to run one of the new hemis in his old Cuda. How about Verne Buchannan, Gary Glazner, or Tex Miller being able to run the Ford 352 crate motor? What about Robbie Shaw, Caleb McFarland, Jim Boudreau, or jimmy DeFrank getting the new Chevy 427. How about the Chrysler 360 in a duster or an old Cuda? Or how about one of the new blower motors in a 69 Camaro or a 68 Mustang? This is not my ideal fix for the problem of all these under rated combinations but it would go a long way to making a more level playing field.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
Don Kennedy
VIP Member

Liked 803 Times in 213 Posts
Default Re: New cars, old cars and horsepower ratings.

Use the SS GT rules for stock > i think IHRA does this not sure though
Old 09-18-2012, 03:31 PM   #3
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,840 Times in 1,535 Posts

No sir, Don't like it. Don't like it one bit.

Reality, what a concept!
Billy Nees is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:31 PM   #4
Hemi Moose
VIP Member

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Hill View Post
Since it looks like NHRA is not going to properly factor these new cars and Ford is going to continue to bring out slightly different combinations each year I would propose that the older cars should be able to run these motors in stock also. I think this is only fair since none of these new cars came with the motors they are running. All you would have to do is make the GM fast burn motor legal for GM cars at around 300 hp so we would have something comparable to the Ford 352 and the Dodge 360. I know this sounds like heresy coming from me but I think it's the only answer to keep a lot of the old cars and old guys competing in the next few years.

I truly thought about going to Indy this year for the first time since 2008, but I opened up the entries list and there was a new mustang and a new challenger in my class and that made my mind up not to go. Even though I have a pretty fast E/SA car I would be a half second behind these two new cars. Now if I would of had a fast burn crate motor it could of been a pretty good race. This probably sound pretty radical, but because NHRA has chosen to not properly factor these cars, I don't see any other way around the problem. I would much rather see these combinations factored where they should be, but it seems like that's not going to happen.

Just imagine Larry Hill getting to run one of the new hemis in his old Cuda. How about Verne Buchannan, Gary Glazner, or Tex Miller being able to run the Ford 352 crate motor? What about Robbie Shaw, Caleb McFarland, Jim Boudreau, or jimmy DeFrank getting the new Chevy 427. How about the Chrysler 360 in a duster or an old Cuda? Or how about one of the new blower motors in a 69 Camaro or a 68 Mustang? This is not my ideal fix for the problem of all these under rated combinations but it would go a long way to making a more level playing field.
I've been thinking something like this for awhile now...but I figured I'd keep my yap shut because I'd probably get laughed off of these forums! It would be nice to see some of these newer power plants shoe-horned into some of the older vehicles, and might bring some new blood into the sport because not everyone can afford a brand new factory race car.
Hemi Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:34 PM   #5
Jack Matyas
Live Reporter

Liked 1,622 Times in 331 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jack Matyas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
I'm with you brother ......................
Old 09-18-2012, 04:02 PM   #6
Casey Miles

Liked 445 Times in 83 Posts

When a new car and engine combination gets introduced into Stock or S/S, it should be over factored (2 HP per Cubic inch) so that it has to race to get weight off. It's totally stupid to allow the racers to determine if the car will get factored if they stay into it rather then lift at the 1000'. Either that or NHRA should take into the consideration of the 1/8 mile times with the MPH and look to factor them that way. If they did that, then the new rides would have to lift at the 330'. I would like to see the field get evened out so that EVERY new car doesn't qualifies at INDY see what it is like to watch other racers make into the field without really working on the car.

Casey Miles
248H "F" NHRA Stock!
Casey Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:06 PM   #7
MikeFicacci

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I like the crate engine idea....believe it or not. But 383 Fastburn? It is 1985? And I doubt Chevrolet Performance would go for that. Now the LS376, LSX427, LSX454, LS3? That would be very cool.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:22 PM   #8
Greg Hill
VIP Member

Liked 270 Times in 68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
Billy as I said in my post, this is not an ideal remedy, but the fact is that two things have already happened. NHRA has let these crate motors into stock in the newer cars and they have given them ridiculously low hp ratings. Do you think NHRA is going to change how they rate these new cars? Why is it okay for the new cars to be able to run these motors that were never available in them and not for the old ones?
Old 09-18-2012, 04:26 PM   #9
Bruce Noland
VIP Member

Liked 444 Times in 145 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Miles View Post
When a new car and engine combination gets introduced into Stock or S/S, it should be over factored (2 HP per Cubic inch) so that it has to race to get weight off. It's totally stupid to allow the racers to determine if the car will get factored if they stay into it rather then lift at the 1000'. Either that or NHRA should take into the consideration of the 1/8 mile times with the MPH and look to factor them that way. If they did that, then the new rides would have to lift at the 330'. I would like to see the field get evened out so that EVERY new car doesn't qualifies at INDY see what it is like to watch other racers make into the field without really working on the car.

Casey Miles
248H "F" NHRA Stock!
nhra knew from the very begining that these combinations were not factored correctly. I have a letter from their attorney that claims the ahfs would take care of it but she did not say when. At least one combination has picked up in excess 100 HP since hitting the track several years ago and it still can get to the top of the sheet. nhra will not alter the current format unless the new car guys demand new classes and it appears they are having too much fun right where they are.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:28 PM   #10
Myron Piatek
VIP Member

Liked 135 Times in 49 Posts
Post Re: New cars, old cars and horsepower ratings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Miles View Post
When a new car and engine combination gets introduced into Stock or S/S, it should be over factored (2 HP per Cubic inch) so that it has to race to get weight off.
Casey Miles
248H "F" NHRA Stock!
Unfortunately, that wouldn't even be considered for marketing reasons. Few, if any, people would want to make a big investment to start with a basically less than competitive car. Getting the cars out as they do creates a performance incentive to buy one and gives the factories a lot of exposure when their cars get out there and qualify well. It's good that the factories are involved. But it's totally in NHRA's hands as to how they are introduced into the ranks.
Myron Piatek is offline   Reply With Quote