HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-09-2011, 11:12 PM   #1
John Kelley

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Red face Mississippi Flood

I wonder if the BIG flood is going to affect No Problem raceway ? The bayous are surely going to get a lot of water from the rushing water. And Donaldsonville is right on the river.
Any racers upstream affected by the floods ?
John Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:39 PM   #2
Jeff Teuton
VIP Member

Liked 326 Times in 50 Posts
Default Re: Mississippi Flood

Unless the levee in the Atchafalaya River break, they should be ok. We in Terrebonne Parish are in the flood area, but we hope the estimates are overstated. We had flooding in the western part of the parish in l973. For those of you who might have gone with me on the swamp tours at the Cajuns, that area will probably flood. A little nervous down here now. Where our dealerships are are ok, and the cars are ok, but there is lot's of concern here.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:15 AM   #3
Bret Kepner

Liked 11 Times in 2 Posts

I heard about the potential for flooding in Houma and immediately hoped for the best for you, old man.
Bret Kepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:41 AM   #4
cody pollage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We'll see what happens. I'm about 30 mins from the track. Hoping everything, just like Mr. Jeff, is over-estimated. Preparing and hoping for the best. We got a race this weekend. Fingers crossed.
cody pollage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:17 AM   #5
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,557 Times in 1,987 Posts

The flooding here in KY along with ILL, MO, and TN has been devasting the last couple of weeks. We are on high ground and about 20 miles from the rivers, so we are fine. But lots of people around here are not. Down around Memphis right now some of the creeks and rivers that flow into the Mississippi are flowing backwards. There is flooding that hasn't happened since 1937. Even with the floodwalls and spillways that have been developed since then, places are still flooding. Some idiot announcer on the national news over the weekend made the comment they just didn't know where all this water was coming from. They obviously hadn't been living in Ky where we have gotten over 2 feet of rain in the last 2 weeks.

Hopefully everyone will listen to the weather people and evacuate if told and be safe.

Good luck to all our friends down south!

Please be safe!!
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:11 PM   #6
Mack Reeves

Liked 44 Times in 13 Posts

Good luck to all that are in the flood zone of the Mississippi River... Our thoughts and prayers are with each and every one of you......
Old 05-11-2011, 07:04 AM   #7
FrankChastain

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hopefully everyone will listen to the weather people and evacuate if told and be safe

If people would listen and not say it always goes around us....We had 36 folks get killed because of a tornado 5 miles from us, as the crow flies, and I bet alot would be here today if they would have listened...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hill View Post
The flooding here in KY along with ILL, MO, and TN has been devasting the last couple of weeks. We are on high ground and about 20 miles from the rivers, so we are fine. But lots of people around here are not. Down around Memphis right now some of the creeks and rivers that flow into the Mississippi are flowing backwards. There is flooding that hasn't happened since 1937. Even with the floodwalls and spillways that have been developed since then, places are still flooding. Some idiot announcer on the national news over the weekend made the comment they just didn't know where all this water was coming from. They obviously hadn't been living in Ky where we have gotten over 2 feet of rain in the last 2 weeks.

Hopefully everyone will listen to the weather people and evacuate if told and be safe.

Good luck to all our friends down south!

Please be safe!!

Last edited by FrankChastain; 05-11-2011 at 07:08 AM.
FrankChastain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:41 PM   #8
Jeff Teuton
VIP Member

Liked 326 Times in 50 Posts

The Morganze Floodway will probably open next week. I think the predicted high water will be May 23 for New Orleans. I don't think the backwater can come as far as No Problem. The actual levee that is close to No Problem will most likely be fine, but the backwater from the Morgan City and west Terrebonne Parish (where I live) which is south of No Problem, will go into the large swamp area that exist from the Floodway to the Bayou's that run thru Houma and go to the gulf. For the most part, these Bayou's form a natural barrier from flood waters going futher East. The New Orleans paper today in an editorial called for the opening of Morganza because of the Katrina devestation. They seem to forget we got water from Rita, Ike, and the eye of Gustave went over Houma. We, however, recovered without about 100th of the federal help, and none of the press, and very few people waiting for a handout. Just had to get that off my chest. Forgive me.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:08 PM   #9
sammy pizzolato

Liked 56 Times in 13 Posts
Send a message via AIM to sammy pizzolato

amen to that father jeff. we in houma somehow allways get buy without federal $$$$$$$
sammy pizzolato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:50 AM   #10
Richard Grant

Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts

It is starting to flow over the levee in West Carroll parish and will probably breach soon. I am not affected because I live in the hills west of the Ouachita river however everything between the Mississippi river and the Ouachita river is in danger. My sister in law farms in West Carroll and is in danger of being in 5ft. of water. After what happened in New Orleans anything appears possible. In 1929 there was water all the way from the Mississippi to the Ouachita. It's all flat land and about 70 miles wide. I am not sure how long the area is.