HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-11-2010, 04:12 PM   #1
NewHemi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default What got you started drag racing??

I suspect that I already know the answer for most of us. It was simply having a driver's license, and a car.

But I am also sure that for some there were either special people or special events that triggered the urge to drag race...and I am sure those people or events will be of interest to all of us.

So, what got you started in drag racing?

David
The New Hemi Guy.
________
Dc medical marijuana dispensary

Last edited by NewHemi; 04-05-2011 at 10:12 PM.
NewHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:27 PM   #2
MYLINRACING

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: What got you started drag racing??

When I was growning up all we did was race on the weekend and being around Jeff and Charlie Taylor and seeing them win and seeing my dad and my brother have sucess. I always wanted to race it's in my dna!

Andy mylin
MYLINRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:29 PM   #3
cicero819
VIP Member

Liked 68 Times in 29 Posts

I have to say that my brother got me involve(my drag pusher as he was know for influencing such feeble minds to drag racing) we always had a car around the house and when he got involve with a Jr Stocker 57,56 sedan and we travel allover the U.S but mostly in Div.1 from race to race we had such adventures. After three tours in Vietnam as a Helicopter pilot, he use to say to me that it was the only thing that meant anything in life. The friendship we made always was an incredible experience in our lives. He's past on but I still love racing. My favorite quote of his was " a day drag racing beat's a year of working".
cicero819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:42 PM   #4
John Leichtamer Jr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was 9 years old and they built a dragstrip outside of town.plus my parents eloped at the Indy 500 so racing in my blood.

Hammer
John Leichtamer Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:49 PM   #5
Pat Cook

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

1969 AHRA Winternational's @ Beeline Dragway, Scottsdale Az.

Was there the next year with a 62 Ford Falcon 6 cylinder with Dagenham 4 speed, ran as formula 4 H/S. Car was fun, but tore up a lot of transmissions and clutches.
Pat Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:54 PM   #6
Chris "drooze" Wertman
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Uh, You, Vic, stories around Grandpas table.

The 76 Winternationals, and all the Nationals I went to with my Mom and Stepdad between 76--81

A Guy like Purdohme taking a knee to look me in the eye and ask what I , ME a 7 year old liked best about Drag Racing, (I answered Dragsters

Good memories and the excuse to take something apart and put it back together repeatledy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHemi View Post
I suspect that I already know the answer for most of us. It was simply having a driver's license, and a car.

But I am also sure that for some there were either special people or special events that triggered the urge to drag race...and I am sure those people or events will be of interest to all of us.

So, what got you start in drag racing?

David
The New Hemi Guy.
Chris "Drooze" Wertman 3132 (F/SA 2009 Challenger Drag Pak #24 with a best of 10.59)
Chris "drooze" Wertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:19 PM   #7
W J

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was 14 and a high school freshman. 1960...Worked after school a couple afternoons a week and weekends pumping gas at my home- town Gulf station. A few older 19-20 yr old guys that came in and occasionally hung out there had some pretty nice cars....one was a '57 Chev convert that was a 283 power-pack. powerglide car. Color was that Tropical Turquoise (aqua) w/blk top...a beauty. Well the guy decided he was going to turn it into a stocker, and make it a .030 over, 292", 270hp solid lifter, dual quad car, and also install a BW 4-speed, and 5.14 posi rear. Well, I became his "gofer" and helped him out throughout this almost 1 yr. project. Car turned out to be a beauty and ran excellent. He taught me how to turn wrenches and took me to the drags w/him to help out and learn. He's the one who got me going with this sport. I ended up buying that '57 from him when I was 17. He then bought a brand new '65 big block 396, 4sp Impala, which also did well at the track. His next drag car was a '62 340hp 327 Corvette stocker. He also ran Modified Production for a short time with it. Then, he and a partner built a 1940 Ford C/MP Chevrolet powered coupe, and competed at the 1967 Indy National event w/it....I went from the '57 270hp car to a '64 Malibu 283-220hp, 4 sp. stocker....Orange, Ma. Drag Strip, Sanford, Me. Drag Strip, Charlestown, R.I. Drag Strip, Connecticut Dragway, Lebanon Valley Dragway, New England Dragway. Great times.....Thank you, Jay O'Day, for all your patience and teaching when I was just a kid trying to grow up...WJ

Last edited by W J; 03-13-2010 at 05:17 PM. Reason: add content...
W J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:22 PM   #8
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 703 Times in 206 Posts

Having two Uncles who were racers got me started, ... One running Middle eliminator in the late '50's and early '60's., and another from the mid '60's thru the '70's who was a major player in Stock and Super Stock...........My first cars were always something that I could get hand me down parts for. .......'50 Old's and '62' Dodges galore!! .........I wish I had taken more pictures back then,but I was like a kid in the candy shop when I went to the track........I was more interested in looking at stuff up close and learning what I could from talking to the racers, [who were very free with information to a kid who was interested , untill they found out who I was there with ! ] .......Tom
Old 03-11-2010, 05:22 PM   #9
Walker4108

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking Re: What got you started drag racing??

1978 Cajun Nationals!!!!! I had never seen anything like it!!! From that moment on I was hooked!!!!

TF Kelly Brown def Mike Tarter
FC Bob Pickett def Tom Anderson
PS Bob Glidden def Lee Shepherd
COMP Wayne Clapp def Joe Williamson
MOD Cotton Perry def Paul Mercure
SS Steve Bagwell def Cotten Perry
STK Jeff Powers def Gary Long

P.S. I was born later that year in November....Talk about prenatal care!!!
Old 03-11-2010, 05:24 PM   #10
BRIAN SEATE

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Smile Re: What got you started drag racing??

My dad and uncles got me hooked. They ran stick cars, Fulton did a couple of motors for them. If you have ever been in a full stick small block car at 8,500-9,000 rpm you can understand. When I heard those Modified cars come through at Rockingham that was music to my ears. Racing has changed but it is still good, got a motor in the shop now. Bottom line.... racing is just plain fun, not to mention the competition and friends we make.
BRIAN SEATE is offline   Reply With Quote