HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-07-2010, 11:48 PM   #1
Jody Lang

Liked 90 Times in 28 Posts
Default Forgettable Racing Stories

With Phoenix being fresh in some of our minds, I'd like to hear some of your stories about racing weekends from hell.

Can you top the 2 weekends in a row funfest at Phoenix? Might not be too hard seeing as we at least got to run class in Super stock. Even a few time runs in Stock!
Jody Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:53 PM   #2
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts
Default Re: Forgettable Racing Stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jody Lang View Post
With Phoenix being fresh in some of our minds, I'd like to hear some of your stories about racing weekends from hell.

Can you top the 2 weekends in a row funfest at Phoenix? Might not be too hard seeing as we at least got to run class in Super stock. Even a few time runs in Stock!
Cecil Co. divisional about 5-6 years ago.Took over 5 1/2 hours to run one round of qualifying for Alcohol F/C and Dragster.End of story.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:02 AM   #3
Mike Carr
VIP Member

Liked 80 Times in 34 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Mike Carr Send a message via MSN to Mike Carr Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Carr

A forgettable week was during the 2002 Numidia D1 LODRS. On Tuesday of that week, fuel pump went out in my Camaro on the way home from work at 2 am. Friday morning on the way to the track, bent the hitch of the trailer in a restaurant parking lot that was on a grade. Friday at the track, the alternator went in the Sunbird (thankfully Billy lived not too far away and was able to go home and get one that night). We had swapped batteries out of the Suburban to put in the 'Bird that day. Forgot to latch the hood al the way down so Friday night on the way back to the hotel, we got about 500' down Rt 42 and the hood blew up, nearly smashed the windshield, bent the braces and would not close at all....stuck at about a 90 degree angle. Thankfully Dad and I (with help from Billy again, as he was driving by and saw us) was able to bend them with a breaker bar to at least get the hood closed to drive back to the hotel and tie it/hold it closed with a rope. Quite a fun four days.
Mike Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:02 AM   #4
greg fulk
VIP Member

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Talking Re: Forgettable Racing Stories

I can't top 2 weekend in a row BUT the local track got the bright idea back in the day (1992 or some where in their) to have the Mid West Pro Stock cars come in for a show.....WELL the local track is "not the best" but was an IHRA track....they came with 8 cars & I think one of them ran something like 5.70 (this is an 1/8 mile track) . We had a local guy that run 5.50's & was faster then them! anyway the track owner got the bright idea to "spray the whole track" ......he did this @ like 9m then dew fell on it....about 10:30 he lit the track with a torch! VERY PRETTY to see an 1/8 mile track go up in flames! after it burnt out then he sent "all the race cars " out on the track to do laps ...as in just drive round & round . I had a 73 Nova footbrake car that ran 8.0's & was the the one to "test" the track.....8.90 something about hit the xmas tree when I left so the race was POSTPONED! lol
Old 03-08-2010, 12:12 AM   #5
Alex Denysenko

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

2009 IHRA World Finals, Sports Nationals, TOC, Summit All Stars, etc. Rockingham NC

http://www.classracer.com/classforum...ad.php?t=21243
Alex Denysenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:55 AM   #6
Bret Kepner

Liked 11 Times in 2 Posts

Well, since the IHRA was at State Capitol this weekend, how many folks remember the FIRST IHRA National Event at that track....almost two decades ago?

Trust me...there weren't many of you there TO remember it.
Bret Kepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:27 AM   #7
danny waters sr
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs down Re: Forgettable Racing Stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bret Kepner View Post
Well, since the IHRA was at State Capitol this weekend, how many folks remember the FIRST IHRA National Event at that track....almost two decades ago?

Trust me...there weren't many of you there TO remember it.
I remember , I towed my h/r car ( C.O.D) on open trailer and pick-up truck. the trip itself was a disaster.You are right not many to remember this race.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:28 AM   #8
Jim Cimarolli

Liked 160 Times in 45 Posts
Thumbs down Re: Forgettable Racing Stories

Houston national event a few years back, we all got stuck, couldn't get our rigs out, NHRA wouldn't let us even try. We had to get home on our own, come back the next weekend to another postponed event. By the time we did get pulled out the next weekend nobody from NHRA was even there to supervise the situation. There was one track employee there with an old tractor, he had his hand out, and he jackknifed trailers into trucks, tore up hitches etc., and just shrugged his shoulders and said he was sorry. I got my pickup out on my own, but my trailer had to be pulled about an 1/8 of a mile through mud knee deep.
Jim Cimarolli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:28 AM   #9
FLEMING

Liked 27 Times in 14 Posts

1996 Steele Alabama,On the way down there the newly rebuilt motor in our dually decided shatter a piston... So the decision was made to buy a crate motor from a local dealership and we changed it at a local guys garage.. Get back on the road and finally get to the track... Well they had gotten snow there in the weeks before, we got there it was beautiful sun was out, in the upper 60's... Well... all the water in the ground from the snow decided to come up through the track, there was nothing they could do so after 1 round of time runs the race was cancelled..

Man I miss the old days..

Last edited by FLEMING; 03-08-2010 at 09:37 AM.
FLEMING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:29 AM   #10
Jack Matyas
Live Reporter

Liked 1,779 Times in 357 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jack Matyas
Exclamation Re: Forgettable Racing Stories

There were times I felt like John Force -- I've crashed and I've been on fire ( only to not see Elvis ) but nothing and I mean nothing compares to the empty feeling I had when half my engine was "stolen" at Pomona in '08 ....................................