HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racing Events > Events
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-22-2009, 09:36 PM   #1
mloboda

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Nostalgia Pro Stock race Thompson 7/3/10

John Shapiro from Cruisin' Times magazine, Dave Breedlove and I are putting together a Nostalgia Pro Stock exhibition race to be held at the Independence Eve race at Thompson, 7/3/2010. Many of you will remember that Sox, Jenkins, Booth, Dyno Don, Ron Hutter and others match raced every Independence Eve for years to a packed house.
This will be staged in "matchrace format", headsup, best 2 of 3 after cars are paired up according to ET. We hope to have 6-8 cars that fit the following specs:
1)Any model car that was popular in prostock in the early 70s- Camaro, Vega, Pinto, Maverick, Duster, Demon, Cuda, Challenger.
2) Must be period correct - NO modern scoops
3) Cars must have name such as "Canned Heat" or "Gardner and Evans", etc. painted on or in removal vinyl decals.
4) Any motor but looking for cars that run roughly 9.8-9.4 as we want to replicate ETs from that 70-72 era.
5) Engines to have tunnel ram and 2-4bbls
6) Each car will get (minimum) 500.00 "show up" money to put on an authentic early Pro Stock show- High RPM burnouts through "gold dust", dry hops, "practice launchs" from tree prior to each matchrace.
7)Car crew to wear "uniforms" like teams from 70s
8)Cars brought in on ramp trucks if at all possible that are begged, borrowed or stolen.
9)Cars/crew will have "promotional" postcards featuring photo of car and stats on back drivers to autograph and give to spectators.
10) All cars to have manual transmissions. No automatics.

Think it can't be done ? We have 3 period correct cars committed already:

1) The original "Canned Heat" 68 Camaro of Ron Hutter - now owned by John Svoboda. 427, 2-4bbl tunnelram, 5 speed Nash. Runs low 9.60s
2) The "Marfizo & Furmanchik" 73 Duster. 340, 2-4bbl tunnelram, 5 speed Nash. Runs low 9.70s
3) The "Painkiller" 72 Duster. 368, 2-4bbl tunnelram, Jerico 4 speed. Runs mid 9.70s

If you would like to participate and have a car that may fit the class,
Call Mike Loboda 440-832-0786 or email: mloboda@yahoo.com

Here's pics of the cars currently committed:

Last edited by mloboda; 10-23-2009 at 09:07 PM.
mloboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:12 AM   #2
Ross Family Racing

Liked 52 Times in 15 Posts
Default Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock race Thompson 7/3/10

Are ladder bars, 4 links ect legal for what you are doing? Cool idea by the way. I have a '72 Cuda body out back that would make a great ..........!
Jeff Ross
Ross Family Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:29 AM   #3
mloboda

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Any suspension is fine, Jeff.
I am primarily looking for cars that have the "right" look of early prostock and run ETs from that early era.
We will target 9.7s and add ballast to slightly faster cars to get the ETs similar.
Mandatory is a manual transmission and a willingness to push the cars hard ( high rpm burnouts, dry hops,
"practice" launches in the rosin) on each run.
I know historians would cringe at the my definition of "Nostalgia Pro Stock" but I think we could put on a great one time exhibition race that would be a blast for both racers and spectators at a great nostalgia track-Thompson. How cool would it be to parade those Pro Stockers , all on ramp trucks down the return road that runs right in front of the spectator stands at Thompson !

Jeff, You've seen a UMTR race. You smiled all day long, didn't you ?
Make no mistake, this race WILL happen. I already have a fourth car (72 Camaro) being considered. My hope is to now expand the number to 6-8 cars for this race. There is plenty of time to properly promote it as well.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:19 AM   #4
Ross Family Racing

Liked 52 Times in 15 Posts

Mike,
I've thought that the NMCA would've already had this class or classes to run with the Nostalgia SS cars. They could even index them with say a 9.50 index , a 10.00 index, and a 10.50 index. When the Pro Stocks first came out most of them ran 10.00 to 10.50. Cool.
Jeff Ross
Ross Family Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:30 AM   #5
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I would think any of the correct year Superstockers we race with a 4-speed and the addition of a cast tunnel ram and a fiberglass hood with scoop would be all that is needed for some cheap yet fun racing.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:19 PM   #6
mloboda

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You are absolutely correct about that, Jeff Lee. Just talked to a SS racer from Denver ( originally from NE Ohio) who is planning on doing just that !
When was the last time a s/ss racer got free entry and 500.00 just to show up and make 3 exhibition runs from the NHRA ?

Last edited by mloboda; 10-23-2009 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:32 AM   #7
mloboda

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

4th car has committed to the race. We have a go !

Frank Jessick's "Bionic Bird"
427 tunnelram 2-4bbl 5 speed Lenco

Old 10-27-2009, 09:50 AM   #8
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Cool Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock race Thompson 7/3/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Family Racing View Post
Are ladder bars, 4 links ect legal for what you are doing? Cool idea by the way. I have a '72 Cuda body out back that would make a great ..........!
Jeff Ross
Ahhhh yes but you would need a HEMI (for the correct look) and that is BIG $$$$$$$ for just one race....lol.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:56 AM   #9
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Thumbs up Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock race Thompson 7/3/10

This the way S/G and S/ST should have been made to race. No automatics and no electronics except maybe a 2 step on the starting line because of the stick shift although our heros of the past didnt use one (wasnt invented yet). I like the look of 2 X 4's with the older tunnel rams instead. Oh well..................

Last edited by X-TECH MAN; 10-27-2009 at 09:58 AM.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:00 AM   #10
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Talking Re: Nostalgia Pro Stock race Thompson 7/3/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lee View Post
I would think any of the correct year Superstockers we race with a 4-speed and the addition of a cast tunnel ram and a fiberglass hood with scoop would be all that is needed for some cheap yet fun racing.
I was thinking the same thing. When was the last time most have been racing and REALLY had a lot of fun?