HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-08-2009, 12:23 PM   #1
Dave Steltz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Super Classes Future

So after the "big" (not) turnout this past weekend at LVD for the D1 race (only 44 in SG), I started thinking about the future of SG SST SC at Division races...

I was reading a post on the Stk/Super Stock page, about some disapointment that NHRA gave the Top guys time shots and didnt give them to us (especially not SG as usual)...

To me it appears that they are trying to replace us with Top Dragster and Top Sportsman...not sure how I feel about that...Dunno if they figure that some of us will give up and the fields will become small enough that we will just be filler...

Of course most SST SG SC cars can go bracket racing or small series racing (NESSA and MASGA up north)...not like the Stk or S/Stk guys...

Peresonally I got tired this year of sitting for a couple of days, with the slight hope of a time shot, and then racing when ever NHRA got around to running SG, so I have been bracket racing and NESSA racing and guess what...

I am having fun again for the first time in a few years...the tracks have a schedule that they adhere to, and no classes are left out..yes sometimes the weather is bad and it one and go, but its one and go THAT DAY, not one friday and go sunday...

I do miss the friends I see at Div races and the fun parties etc...but at my home track (LVD) there is a great bunch of guys and the track has been really good this year...

I know some will chase the Divisional trail no matter what, but for me I just got tired of the BS that comes with it, all the days off work, travel etc...and no one better post here that they do it for the money that you might win at a D1 race, cause if you aint in the final you dont hardly pay for the entry...

Come on, lets hear it...
Old 07-08-2009, 01:07 PM   #2
Michael Pliska

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Super Classes Future

I'm kind of torn about this. I'm just finishing the resurrection of my S/G car after 15+ years in mothballs. When NHRA raised the fees I swore I would just slow it into the 10's and bracket race it (money is really tight due to salary reduction). Then I managed to sell a few old parts on ebay, so I ended up getting all the updated safety stuff for S/G. With any luck, tonight will be my first race out with the car (still need to head back home and replace the seized fuel pumps), and this weekend is my local LODRS race (Woodburn). However, for less money (but a 3.5 hour drive) I can run a diesel-only bracket race this weekend (racing my Dually) and have a decent chance of actually making money. As much as I miss S/G racing, I'm going diesel bracket racing this weekend.

Regards,
Old 07-08-2009, 01:35 PM   #3
Nitro Joe Jackson
VIP Member

Location: Loudonville, Ohio or where ever the Nitro Lounge is parked
Liked 66 Times in 18 Posts

This is one of the reasons we are trying to make the Jegs Super Series at Nationals Trails work, next week, July 18th is the next event, its a one day race on Sat, you come in, pay i think it's $65 to enter, i qualify everybody on a ladder off of 2 qualifying rounds, we race, we get out of there and while we are at it, have a lot of fun.
I see a lot of people running these deals you hardly ever see at divisional races and at times i dont blame them at all for only running weekly series events.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:53 PM   #4
Charlie Yannetti

Liked 183 Times in 79 Posts

Hi Dave..... I hear and feel what you're saying..... D1 has to take a good look at how they run their event at LVD..... this year had a whacky run schedule with classes split up, moved around, and even a jumbled run order..... I guess it is their right, but it made the race a little uncomfortable..... and the flying brown clay clouds when the circle track opens is rediculous and one of the big reasons why some guys won't come..... I wouldn't be there with anything that requires between rounds engine maintenance.....

A lot of guys are not believing that the track is better.... I can tell you that the race surface is greatly improved and track management is WAY better.... shut down is still a bit bumpy....

I've been torn between staying in S/G or turning the roadster into a bracket car..... time and money makes bracket racing look really good these days..... and I'm sure that I can fit in with the people wherever I choose to go cause most of them used to be Super racers...... but it's still a tough decision......

I hope you stick around.... it's us real roadster guys..... and then there are the Vettes....... LOL
Charlie Yannetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:27 PM   #5
Bryan Gillespie
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dave I think the low car count is STILL THE ECONOMY , things are moving but at a slower pace, LVD is not a track that is centrally located.. $ 100.00 just in tolls for me. about the DIV. races I and probably a few others run them to get the grade points to run the Nats. which I enjoy.
About s/st, s/g, s/c I'm not 100% sure but the name says FULL THROTTLE or go home . HMMMM???
Bryan Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:54 PM   #6
H.A.A.C. Racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am happy to say I was thrilled with the job NHRA and LVD did this past weekend! I have skipped this event in the past before because the track water problem was a joke! With all the water this palce took on, this event could have not run smoother. As far as the "modified" run order the place had 4 rain delays on Friday, and one on Sat, what does anyone expect? Super Gas has always been last (no suprise there) Super Street got 3 time runs, but we have to be out @ 8:00 in the morning. I think everyone is forgetting that everyone is there to see T/A, T/D & T/S, just like at a National, you have to give the fans what they want. The owners of these tracks only have a couple of events a year to make big money at an event like this.

I will be at this event next year and having fun doing it. Hats off to LVD for turning their operation around!
H.A.A.C. Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:44 PM   #7
Dave Steltz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.A.A.C. Racing View Post
I am happy to say I was thrilled with the job NHRA and LVD did this past weekend! I have skipped this event in the past before because the track water problem was a joke! With all the water this palce took on, this event could have not run smoother. As far as the "modified" run order the place had 4 rain delays on Friday, and one on Sat, what does anyone expect? Super Gas has always been last (no suprise there) Super Street got 3 time runs, but we have to be out @ 8:00 in the morning. I think everyone is forgetting that everyone is there to see T/A, T/D & T/S, just like at a National, you have to give the fans what they want. The owners of these tracks only have a couple of events a year to make big money at an event like this.

I will be at this event next year and having fun doing it. Hats off to LVD for turning their operation around!

Pete you nailed it...LVD has done an excellent job this year, getting the water issues solved, we had a bracket race a few weeks ago, that it rained like an MF'r for about an hour, and 2 hours later we were off and running again without a hitch...

By the way when it rains at a Div race I understand why the run order may have to change..The issue I have is if you post a run order for the day, stick to it, or change it and let everyone know...dont make me sit in my trailer listening to the radio all day, only to hear at the end of the day, you've been scrubbed come back tomorrow..and its not just LVD, its NHRA and all the div races for years...
Old 07-08-2009, 11:15 PM   #8
H.A.A.C. Racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dave, I totally agree with that, they do leave you hanging, it pisses me off when I could have been half way through a 6 pack by the time they figure it out and announce it, but I also have no idea what goes on behind the planning, maybe there are things going on that we don't know about, maybe I am giving NHRA way to much credit?? I bracket raced for 10 years before I ever did the .90 thing, and I love it. I love being with great people and hanging out, easing into the weekend and then going crazy on Sunday when you go rounds, comming out first thing in the morning and guessing the weather and hitting it, and being in a points battle without commiting yourself to 20 weekends a summer. I guess it's all in what you like.
H.A.A.C. Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 05:54 AM   #9
Mark Schmidt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm sitting out this season and it isn't easy. Got tired of writing checks. I've raced for 39 years, the hassles at the track don't bother me, but I have to admit the more bracket racing and fast dragster racing I do the more I enjoy it. It's coming down to bang for the buck and what's the best value for $$$ spent. Hope to see everyone next year.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:34 AM   #10
BKSG1198
VIP Member

Liked 1,030 Times in 314 Posts

I've been on the fence the past year or so about buying a dragster or driving someone elses 2nd car and going bracket racing. I think we all have a great point in why car counts are down. The Economy is one and a huge one at that, The weather has been crappy all year long and people who live long distances are not going to travel and burn gas to sit in the rain plus I think even if they tore down Leb Valley and rebuilt it people still would not come which is ashame to the new owners and what they have done with the track. I think even with the repaving job and no more water seeping up just the past races at that track have put a bad taste in many people's mouth. You still have the issues with parking when it rains and the mud pit, the dirt track next door starting a cloud after a certain time. I just think the car counts have always been down a little at that track compared to MG and Atco plus it's put right on a national holiday in which most families are traveling to the shore and racers don't want to travel in that mess (We all know cars don't realize what racers tow with and like to cut everyone off).

To me NHRA racing is not as much fun as it used to be and it's now run by non-racers and it's all about the bottom line rather then people having fun anymore. Sometimes you have to get your hands dirty to understand what the sportsman racer goes through and for the longest time thats how it was run. As Dave said the little associations and bracket racing is taking off because it's a "No BS" run league. You can go to a MASGA or NESSA race, get 2 time shots (Not get bumped to the next day or wait till 11pm to get a run) run the race in 1 day, have a great meal, leave if you want too or run a 2nd race again on the next day. There's no strings attached with the associations and you're seeing more and more of them popping up. We all know the sport we are in and no matter what or how much money we put in we will never get that back so complaining about the payout is senseless. Just bracket racing is looking better and better and the payout is great. Look at Atco on July 31st to the 2nd, $775.00 to enter the whole weekend and a chance to win $ 75,000.00 dollars. Now you have to be totally on your game and have to deal with some heavy hitters but you have to do the same at a NHRA meet for $ 1,800.00 dollars to win. Just my 2 cents...
BKSG1198 is offline   Reply With Quote