HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-06-2009, 02:59 PM   #1
Z28-69

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 2008 Ford Super Duty F-350

We have a 2008 Ford Super Duty Diesel with 44000 miles on it. Truck has been meticulously taken care of. The truck started smoking bad so pulled over thinking it blew head gasket. Checked the engine oil level and was way high. Didn't smell antifreeze. Called dealer they said could be number of things causing it. So few blocks away had oil quick changed so I could get oil level fresh and level right so I could nurse it to dealer. Got it to dealer and they said after inspection that motor was shot, and that it would not be covered under 100,000 mile warranty because they said oil changes were not done at the 3000 mile intervals. We were changing every 7-10000 miles. They are saying needs new motor, 2 new turbos, and exhaust for a total of $21,395.96 to repair. Now the question is, is that motor that touchy with it's oil changes or is Ford got a big problem and they are not confessing to it? Am I at fault here or is there something else going on here? I don't know diesels that well. Any input would be of help! Thanks
Z28-69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:23 PM   #2
CycloneFE

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: 2008 Ford Super Duty F-350

Z,
I just got a letter in the mail from FORD regarding my diesel service. It states that oil changes for a 6.4 in normal operating conditions is every 10,000 miles. Every 5,000 miles or 200 hours for special operating conditions.

PM me if you need more and I will scan and e-mail you a copy of this

Steve
CycloneFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:53 PM   #3
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 282 Times in 152 Posts
Exclamation Re: 2008 Ford Super Duty F-350

Go to www.media.ford.com and read it -DOWNLOAD IT-show it to the service guy at your dealer---if he is not convinced then call the local Ford Zone office and have Ford Warranty rep meet with you the service mgr and himself to resolve your problem---- my take on it---Comp 387
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:34 PM   #4
Bob Lasko

Liked 168 Times in 49 Posts
Cool Re: 2008 Ford Super Duty F-350

Call Ford Customer Service, and explain you problem. the oil changes are right on the mark as far as Ford is concerned. I have seen ford take care of these problems with far worse conditions.
Bob Lasko
SS/CS
Bob Lasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:36 PM   #5
Michael Pliska

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not to be argumentative, but I think there have been many other diesels built which were worse than a 6.4L. Does anyone remember the Gm 5.7L?

I rented one a few weeks back for a diesel drag race at Indy. Bone stock I was running mid-15's.

Sounds like maybe an injector was stuck open and dumping raw fuel, probably washed down the cylinders, and the now-contaminated oil could have screwed up many other items. The excessive smoke was likely from the stuck injector, and this would have nothing to do with oil change interval.

You might want to post on a Ford Diesel specific web forum, like:
www.powerstrokenation.com
www.powerstroke.org

Regards,
Old 07-06-2009, 04:46 PM   #6
Bob Lasko

Liked 168 Times in 49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed OBrien View Post
They have not built a 5.7 for 25 years . The Ford is the worst one built today ! You can't get rid of one nobody will buy them . Have a nice day
The engines used in the Fords today are made by International,should not have been used in these trucks,to small compartment. look at the insulation in the engine compartment,keeps in the heat..
Bob Lasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:05 PM   #7
Z28-69

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Guy's I'm so frustrated right now. I have researched this thing and this motor is a BIG problem. The thing that is making me really mad right now is the dealership wont tell me what went wrong or is wrong right now. Don't know if they are afraid I'm going to go home and fix it myself???? They are just saying that it needs new motor, and that if I have them do it it will have 100,000 mile warranty again. WELL it sure wasn't a very good 100,000 mile warranty the first time! So why the second time. This truck puts it's miles on in quick intervals. It's not like city or allot of idle time. So the hours are even more in my favor. I have documented 5 oil changes and they are saying it should have had more than that. Ford rep. was there this morning took oil sample but before we even have results back he has flaged the vin # has no warranty. I'm going to fight this.....probably try different dealership. But don't know what thats going to get me with the rep already looking at it. They never pulled the pan. However they said they did. I think it had bad injector. Yes there right, turbo's are probably needing rebuilt because oil got in the exhaust, BUT WHAT caused the oil in the exhaust? I don't think oil change would have changed that from happening???
Old 07-06-2009, 05:20 PM   #8
partsbob67

Liked 37 Times in 10 Posts

does the truck have a chip in it? do you use ford filters on it? i work at a dealership and i know that ford has been getting hard nose on those issues. still the 6.4v seems to be a good engine. have seen very few of them in our shop, especially when compared to the 6.0s. now that was a bad one.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:01 PM   #9
Z28-69

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsbob67 View Post
does the truck have a chip in it? do you use ford filters on it? i work at a dealership and i know that ford has been getting hard nose on those issues. still the 6.4v seems to be a good engine. have seen very few of them in our shop, especially when compared to the 6.0s. now that was a bad one.

Truck is bone stock. And yes the Ford dealer said it should have a FORD filter in it. No it has filters from Valvoline oil change places. I will tell you that we complained of the milage that it was getting way back in the beginning. It only gets about 12.5 miles to a gallon and that is being good on it. They said it doesn't break in tell 40-50 k on it. It falls to between 6.5-8.5 pulling trailer. I will tell you that my brother in law with a 08 GMC is getting 16-18 out of the box and gets 14-15 pulling 12000
pounds.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:12 PM   #10
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,112 Times in 294 Posts

They absolutely cannot deny warranty on the basis of you not using their filters. There's been a law on the books for decades preventing that. It's called the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

try this: http://www.free-lemon-law-guide.com/...n-moss-act.php