HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-09-2009, 05:53 PM   #1
Wade_Owens

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Default Pro's and Con's of a crank scraper.....

Anybody ever dyno or know if these work? I'm told over a certain RPM, there are hp gains. What are your thoughts.....

Wade O
Wade_Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:02 PM   #2
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 703 Times in 206 Posts
Default Re: Pro's and Con's of a crank scraper.....

Wade, I don't know about the dyno numbers, but I can tell you on my AMX, I can safely run 4 quarts of oil with no pressure issues. ...without it ,I better have at least 5 qts in , and I'm running out of oil in the traps. ....Tom
Old 01-09-2009, 07:05 PM   #3
Myron Piatek
VIP Member

Liked 135 Times in 49 Posts
Post Re: Pro's and Con's of a crank scraper.....

I can't offer any back-to-back comparisons, but I always thought the concept had merit and finally got around to using one a year ago in my IHRA Stock engine. Some of my bracket engine pans had them integrated into kick-out pouches while others were used in regular-sided oil pans. I'm sure different engine designs will vary their effectiveness, but a scraper is going into my next engine also. A combo scraper/windage tray may be more effective, but that can take some careful fabrication. As with many performance mods, there are a lot of "it depends".

http://www.crank-scrapers.com/index2.html
Old 01-09-2009, 08:00 PM   #4
Bub Whitaker

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Myron... carefull with the windage tray as I've see oil pressure issues on the dyno using them and power loss as they keep the oil up in the crank area at hi rpm. Wipers are great but stuff too close to the crank is not...
Old 01-09-2009, 09:07 PM   #5
Myron Piatek
VIP Member

Liked 135 Times in 49 Posts
Post Re: Pro's and Con's of a crank scraper.....

Bub,

I can understand what you mean. Even with the Mopar tray windows opened up, it looked like it would just swirl the same oil around. That's why I said that a carefully designed combo could work. I made a mult-scraper tray with screens and minimal "framing" that could retain oil. But it wasn't sturdy enough and came apart after a couple of seasons. Thanks.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:06 AM   #6
tpoh815

Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
Unhappy Re: Pro's and Con's of a crank scraper.....

Im betting I have 2-3 hours time in fabricating my crank scraper.Im sure it does something. lol
Old 01-10-2009, 11:53 AM   #7
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 703 Times in 206 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpoh815 View Post
Im betting I have 2-3 hours time in fabricating my crank scraper.Im sure it does something. lol
I've been using scrapers from a company in Fla. called Ishara- Johnson....The rough fit is pretty good on most motor..........Bub, I agree you cant make them too close and I found it didn't like the baffel windage tray I was using. ........ ....I think the results can really be measured by the on track oil pressure control, not just horsepower gains.........I've hurt a few parts over the years experimenting with my setup but ,i'm finally satisfied with the benefits.... ......With a SBC it may not even be necessary since the "accepted" stock appearing pans from Milodon and Canton seem to work pretty well.....................Bottom line? your results may vary. .....Tom
Old 01-10-2009, 05:29 PM   #8
gmonde

Liked 166 Times in 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpoh815 View Post
i have a lot more than 2-3 hrs more like 12 hrs thats also with the windage screen gmonde
gmonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 05:35 PM   #9
treessavoy
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

In the 70's Chrysler tested 426 Hemi's and found that after 8000 rpm you could remove the oil pan and all of the oil was rotating around the crankshaft thus the use of scrapers was developed for Pro Stock Mopar racers.
treessavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:52 PM   #10
Bill Edgeworth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Piatek View Post
I can't offer any back-to-back comparisons, but I always thought the concept had merit and finally got around to using one a year ago in my IHRA Stock engine. Some of my bracket engine pans had them integrated into kick-out pouches while others were used in regular-sided oil pans. I'm sure different engine designs will vary their effectiveness, but a scraper is going into my next engine also. A combo scraper/windage tray may be more effective, but that can take some careful fabrication. As with many performance mods, there are a lot of "it depends".

http://www.crank-scrapers.com/index2.html
In my Pontiac motors I use the Ishihara-Johnson zero clearance scrapers. They are much more expensive than the basic sheet metal ones but in my opinion worth the extra $ you never have to worry about metal to metal contact.
But an interesting comment on the Mopar stuff although it has to do with big block Mopars which use a totally different tray set up than small block Mopars; I had Allan Lee rebuild my 500 wedge a few years back and amongst the stuff I gave him to put it together was a Charlie’s fabricated pan with a screen type tray built in and I also gave him a Milodon tray as it looked to me like the pan had a lot more clearance to the crank than the Milodon tray did.
Allan left out the Milodon tray when he built the motor and told me that the dyno results on his Hemi’s showed the pans with the built in diamond screen type windage trays made more power than using the factory or Milodon louvered tray.