HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-09-2008, 07:29 AM   #1
Ruth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default State Police Fatal Accident Unit Releases Findings on Drag Strip Crash that Claimed L

http://www.njsp.org/news/pr091708.html
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:53 AM   #2
GaryGoFast

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: State Police Fatal Accident Unit Releases Findings on Drag Strip Crash that Claim

Post mortem toxicological analysis of blood obtained from Scott Kalitta during his autopsy revealed the presence of Ethanol at a level of 23 mg/dL. This level converts to a BAC percentage of .02% BAC. This level, 25% of the legal limit for intoxication in the State of New Jersey, remains in violation of NHRA rules (Section 1.7, I., B.1.) as well as N.J.S.A. Title 13 Chapter 62 New Jersey State Motor Vehicle Racetrack Regulations.

"remains in violation of NHRA rules "

What are they saying here?
Old 10-09-2008, 11:04 AM   #3
SSTRACER323

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via Yahoo to SSTRACER323
Default Re: State Police Fatal Accident Unit Releases Findings on Drag Strip Crash that Claim

Gary,

I too am confused..... are they saying Scott had a .02 blood alcohol content?
SSTRACER323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:09 AM   #4
sst1226

Liked 11 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryGoFast View Post
Post mortem toxicological analysis of blood obtained from Scott Kalitta during his autopsy revealed the presence of Ethanol at a level of 23 mg/dL. This level converts to a BAC percentage of .02% BAC. This level, 25% of the legal limit for intoxication in the State of New Jersey, remains in violation of NHRA rules (Section 1.7, I., B.1.) as well as N.J.S.A. Title 13 Chapter 62 New Jersey State Motor Vehicle Racetrack Regulations.

"remains in violation of NHRA rules "

What are they saying here?
That caught my eye as well. While I understand that "toxicological blood analysis" is probably standard on any autopsy, using the wording "remains in violation" makes it seem like they intend on taking further action on the matter.

While drinking the least bit and getting behind the wheel of a racecar can be considered foolish behavior, I don't know if it would've changed the outcome of the crash.

By the way, does anyone know about how much .02 is? Most states have a .08 or .10 limit? My first impression is that its not a whole lot.

Last edited by sst1226; 10-09-2008 at 11:11 AM. Reason: added last sentence
sst1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:09 AM   #5
mcaruso

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Gary,

I too am confused..... are they saying Scott had a .02 blood alcohol content?

......That's exactly what it means
mcaruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:49 AM   #6
Ruth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think that is what it is:

“25% of the State legal limit.” he did NOT meet the states level.

My guess is that the NHRA is a 0% tolerance ( but I have no rule book in front of me )

I also think that low levels of Ethanol naturaly show up as you start to decompose after death at but could be mistaken.

Now for the bad part............I wonder how the main stream media will report this on the evening news ?

R.I.P. Scotty

Last edited by Ruth; 10-09-2008 at 03:32 PM.
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:11 PM   #7
Charlie Yannetti

Liked 183 Times in 79 Posts

My question would be why someone would take the time to convert an ethanol level to a blood alcohol level without explanation....... would ethanol more likely be in something that was consumed or in a fuel mixture that was contained in the car and possibly dispersed during the accident....... if it is in fact the latter, I would find it irresponsible to make the intial conversion, and then publish a report indicating that there was alcohol present because of that conversion......

I'm sure that a more extensive autopsy report exists explaning exactly what caused the presence of ethanol, but we probably will not be privileged to that...... hopefully the Kalitta family will be.......
Charlie Yannetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:23 PM   #8
SSTRACER323

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via Yahoo to SSTRACER323

Being in the Body Shop my whole life i have washed my hands with thinner, and painted without a mask and .... My body has absorbed enough chemicals to know give me health problems.

Is it possible that the ethanol got into his system from years of mixing fuel,
you always see the drivers mixing there own fuel. He could have absorbed it the same way i have....????
SSTRACER323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:37 PM   #9
SC183

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to SC183

Ethanol, also called ethyl alcohol, pure alcohol, grain alcohol, or drinking alcohol, is a volatile, flammable, colorless liquid. It is a psychoactive drug, best known as the type of alcohol found in alcoholic beverages and in thermometers. In common usage, it is often referred to simply as alcohol.
Ethanol is abbreviated as EtOH, using the common organic chemistry notation of representing the ethyl group (C2H5) with Et. This designation is used both by EMS and Hospital ER staff when describing alcohol intoxication, and is found in most chemistry textbooks as well.

Methanol, also known as methyl alcohol, carbinol, wood alcohol, wood naphtha or wood spirits, is a chemical compound with chemical formula CH3OH (often abbreviated MeOH).
Methanol is often called wood alcohol because it was once produced chiefly as a byproduct of the destructive distillation of wood. It is now produced synthetically by a multi-step process: natural gas or coal gas and steam are reformed in a furnace to produce hydrogen and carbon monoxide; then, hydrogen and carbon monoxide gases react under pressure in the presence of a catalyst.
Because of its poisonous properties, methanol is frequently used as a denaturant additive for ethanol manufactured for industrial uses— this addition of a poison economically exempts industrial ethanol from the rather significant 'liquor' taxes that would otherwise be levied as it is the essence of all potable alcoholic beverages
SC183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:38 PM   #10
wsmracing
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Confused..me too, isn't the ethanol, the same fuel thats mixed with the nitro..? If your on fire & inhaling all that.....couldn't that have something to do with it...or if the fuel was spraying on him....?a thorough report that still leaves questions unanswered..?
wsmracing is offline   Reply With Quote