HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-02-2008, 04:06 PM   #1
sst1226

Liked 11 Times in 2 Posts
Default Leaving Your Car Overnight At Divisional Races

I know that a good majority of people have enclosed trailers with motorhomes that stay with their cars all weekend at the track these days. What about those that leave their cars at the track overnight at a divisional while they stay in a hotel. Especially those with open trailers like myself. What precautions do you guys take or have taken when you used an open trailer/stayed in a hotel overnight & have there been any thefts at the track overnight at any Div. 1 races in the last few years?
Old 10-02-2008, 04:35 PM   #2
1752supgas

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thumbs up Re: Leaving Your Car Overnight At Divisional Races

throw a car cover over it and go get a good nights rest, it will be just fine. Jim Fordyce
1752supgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:58 PM   #3
Bob Verwold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Leaving Your Car Overnight At Divisional Races

I do spend the night at the track and run around quite a bit visiting and you get to know who stays and who goes to a motel. So you tend to watch their trailers (open or enclosed) but for the most part everything is safe................At least in div 3.

Tim Gillespie you have a P.M.
Bob Verwold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:05 PM   #4
Jason Oldfield

Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jason Oldfield Send a message via MSN to Jason Oldfield Send a message via Yahoo to Jason Oldfield

I'm not sure that I've ever heard anything bad happening at the divisional races. That's not to say that it can't happen, but without the spectators, basically all you have at the track is other racers. It's always at the national events where I hear of people having their stuff stolen (primarily stuff stolen out of their motorhome / trailer while they're running, not usually the entire rig).

That said, E-town would probably be the only venue that I would be concerned about it though as they do have a history of incidents there. But, to my knowledge, even those are few and far between. For the most part, the tracks in D-1 that host LODRS events are out in the middle of nowhere, so you probably have just as good a chance of your car being run into by a cow as being stolen.

I'd throw a cover over it, ask your pit neighbors to generally keep an eye on it, and go have a good night's rest....
Old 10-02-2008, 07:38 PM   #5
Bryan Gillespie
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

safe as a bug in the rug.
Bryan Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:17 PM   #6
Carl Juliano

Liked 63 Times in 23 Posts

We had an open trailer for 3 seasons when we first started div. racing. Never had a problem, maybe just chain your scooter/generator/jack to the trailer, stuff like that. Like everyone has said, throw a cover on the car and dont worry.
Carl Juliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:52 PM   #7
Ron Finney

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We used to be in the motel group too. I always used a tongue lock on the trailer, even though it was an enclosed trailer. Like everyone is saying, there are very few incidents around the country at divisionals, however my thought is, why be one of them if you can do a couple of things to discourage it. Yes, I believe that if they want your stuff they will get it, but as the professionals will tell you, they want to get in and get out fast. So a tongue lock in addition to the lock that goes through the latch can help slow someone down and it takes only seconds to put on. The car cover is a great idea too, same concept plus it keeps your car cleaner (bonus). I have seen guys keep a hunk of 5/16" chain that they just thread through two wheels of the trailer once they get there....I always considered it, just never got around to it. I have seen a few that have purchased the tire boot system, but that is awful bulky and not sure you need that.

I think with a good tongue lock and a car cover you will have done about the best you can.

Good Luck! See ya at the races!!!!

Ron/Meridee Finney
396V S/C