HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-24-2008, 10:26 AM   #1
Bill Harris

Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
Default dead-head fuel regulator

I'm completely fed up with pressure creep on my non-bypass fuel regulator when the engine is idling or at low RPM. I have tried several of the cheapo Holley regulators and a BG "2-Port Plus+" regulator (170025) and the pressure at my carb just blows right past the setpoint with any of them. The regulators are spotless. There are two inline filters, one before the pump and one just before the regulator. I have tried two pumps, a Mallory Comp 140 and an Aeromotive 11203, both have fixed output pressures around 12-15 psi at no/low flow. The carb is a Holley 780 (3310-1).

Whenever this thing is at an idle or driving around the pits the fuel pressure at the carb is whatever the pump pressure is, 12-15 psi, and the thing overfills the bowls and runs like crap. I have to keep turning the pump on and off to keep it from completely loading up.

If there is even a small flow of fuel the pressure settles down to the desired regulated pressure... such as if I open the fuel check valve just a little bit and dump the fuel into a jug (check valve on output side of reg). But as soon as the valve is shut, the pressure climbs right back to pump pressure. Regulation is fine going down the track at WOT.

Any ideas of what the hell is wrong with this thing and/or have any suggestions for the best dead-head regulator that might fix this problem?

Thanks
Bill Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:43 AM   #2
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,117 Times in 294 Posts
Default Re: dead-head fuel regulator

Bill,
We finally got disgusted with the whole fuel system deal after dealing with all sorts of stupid problems, and installed a MagnaFuel system on the orange Camaro. I don't know if their regulator will solve your problems, it may not be compatible with your pump. But the MagnaFuel system will maintain the set fuel pressure all the time, with no issues of pressure drop or pressure creep. It made the car more consistent as well.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:18 PM   #3
John Mason

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Reposted from back in Jan -
Follow this link to the best kept secret in ultimate quadrajet fuel systems. Browse the site, then call John and LISTEN to what he tells you. My son Dan's low 9 second big block quadrajet GT/BA has the complete system and it's perfect. 6.5 lbs rock solid pressure start to finish, no dips, no skips all the way to 144 MPH. It isn't cheap but it is the best.
http://www.productengr.com/
Old 09-24-2008, 12:44 PM   #4
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I've got a fairly unusual setup that works. But on the simple side, a friend just installed a BG (a name I normally wouln't advise purchasing) 2-port. It's a road race requlator. I couldn't believe how rock steady it is. And he has a basic BG pump. Previously he had the same oroblems as you do and he had the typical BG regukator. Look into it.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:08 PM   #5
DIC GEARY

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Smile Re: dead-head fuel regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan roehrich View Post
bill,
we finally got disgusted with the whole fuel system deal after dealing with all sorts of stupid problems, and installed a magnafuel system on the orange camaro. I don't know if their regulator will solve your problems, it may not be compatible with your pump. But the magnafuel system will maintain the set fuel pressure all the time, with no issues of pressure drop or pressure creep. It made the car more consistent as well.
i agree with alan, i have had the magnafuel system on the camaro for 5 years and have had zero problems, it just keeps doing what it is suposed to do. It might seam a bit pricey but the best always is.... Good luck .
DIC GEARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 04:24 PM   #6
Bill Grubbs

Liked 461 Times in 61 Posts

Bill,
I agree with Alan. MagnaFuel is the only way to go.

Bill
Bill Grubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:58 AM   #7
Bill Harris

Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts

Thanks for everyones response, public and private. It is very much appreciated.
Bill Harris is offline   Reply With Quote