HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-15-2008, 02:25 PM   #1
Chad E532

Liked 54 Times in 7 Posts
Default Cal Tracs Shock Mount

I am finally getting to the point where I am installing the Cal Tracs setup under my 77 Camaro. The shocks on the Camaro are setup with the left side going behind the axle and the right hand in front of the axle. The problem I am having is that the shock body itself is interfering with the bolt that holds the Cal Tracs monoleaf springs together. It is to the point that when I tighten everything up the shock is bound up tight with no room for movement on the lower mounting point. I maybe able to gain some clearance by running a different style bolt on the spring like a button head but I am afraid it will still have interference.
The shocks are Competition Engineering 3-way adjustables.

My questions are has anyone else run into this and should I be worried?
Thanks,
Chad
Chad E532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 03:58 PM   #2
Bill Grubbs

Liked 461 Times in 61 Posts
Default Re: Cal Tracs Shock Mount

Chad,
I cannot help with the 77 Camaro, but on a 69 Camaro I ran the same set-up until recently. I had no problem with the CE 3-ways, but when I went to a larger diameter shock it had the same interference issue you have now. The first thing I did was swap the direction of the bolt. This gave me a little more clearance when I went from the excess bolt on the shock side to just the head of the bolt. I gained an additional .25 inches of clearance. However, that was still not enough for the shocks.
I contacted John Calvert and discussed the problem. He suggested I try some Rancheros. I got a set but had the same problem. After more discussion with John I sent a picture of my problem. The final outcome was the Caltrac's I had were some of the originals sold, and a redesigned base plate was now used. Once I got the redesigned base plate, which sets the shock out from the spring I have had no further problem (other than getting a new brake line caliper fitting).
John's customer service is second to none. Give him a call, you will not be disappointed with his service and advice.

Bill
Bill Grubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 04:03 PM   #3
Chad E532

Thanks Bill. I have sent a photo off to Calvert Racing to see what they have for options for me to remedy the situation.
Now I am thinking I should upgrade the shocks as well to a style where the body mounts up top and the rod down below to give me the clearance needed and also move some unsprung weight to sprung weight. Does anyone have any recommendations on shocks? I am thinking QA1.

Chad
Old 09-26-2008, 10:22 PM   #4
Bob Miller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Chad, I run a 77 Camaro with Cal Tracs. When I got the car it had shock stud extensions, been working ok so far. But I am also looking at upgrading shocks. I think the extensions are available from Competition Engineering.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:56 PM   #5
Chad E532

Bob,
I must be on the right path, I just bolted a set of extensions on earlier today. The fix for my clearance from Calvert was to take the bolt out of the mono leaf and beat the tab over with a hammer. It did provide me the needed clearance before the extensions. But with the extensions I think I could bend the tab back and reinstall the bolt.
What do you have your Cal Tracs set at for preload and do you use the upper or lower hole?
Thanks,
Chad
Old 09-29-2008, 10:50 PM   #6
Bob Miller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Chad , I have mine set in the bottom hole. Passenger side is at 1/2 turn preload while the drivers side can be turned by hand. Hope it all works for you.