Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-10-2017, 04:08 PM   #91
Bunkster

Liked 43 Times in 10 Posts
Default Re: IHRA Ends Stock & Super Stock Racing

Within this web site….

http://classracer.com/magazine/?p=6037

…is piece entitled “THE FUTURE OF STOCK ELIMINATOR IS IN YOUR HANDS” from last April.

Down in the comments from a Robert Cooper, is a biting, painful yet probably accurate description of this stock/super stock subject:

“Exactly who and where are these fans that relate?

While seemingly exciting for those that participate, and maybe even for family and friends that go along, this is an arcane endeavor that even the sanction tolerates for one reason and one reason only, competitors pay and pay.

Regardless of what the sanctioning body and equipment suppliers/builders choose to foist upon these regulars, they continue to show up, essentially to hang with the others that choose to show up and continue drag racing in this spectrum. Subsequent to spending massive amounts of money in some cases, many Stock racers have very little motivation to win the event they enter. If it happens, that’s wonderful but certainly not the main reason they attend. Qualifying at or near the the top is already a victory to many that compete. Beating a car next to you that happens to have the same letters on the window is another relished accomplishment. Never mind that drivers are making incredible efforts not perform at the maximum level the vehicle can achieve. No other racing option/sanction offers the credibility in the mind of the Stock racer and in support of this, they’re even on the same grounds with the big guy’s in many cases.

Nope. There aren’t any fans and quite frankly, you’ll never see facilities crowded simply to watch this class. I certainly enjoy watching Stock, although the definition of the term has gone far astray from its original intent and maybe not for the betterment of the class. watching Stock on Television will never offer any appeal. These cars are SLOW! Even the Factory cars are pooches after viewing the pro junk, using whatever name they associate with this kind lit grenade.

Keep in mind that many attendees that arrive to watch the mayhem displayed by these absurd pro category vehicles arrive in cars that can outperform cars competing in Stock Eliminator.

Stock was a gas. Now it’s faster that the Gasser’s……… and Modified’s and Pro Stocks of not all that long ago.

Enjoy track picnicking with friends of many years and enjoy a few passes from time to time as well but don’t deceive yourselves with regard to the appeal of Stock. Only the racers themselves give a hoot and the sanction is constantly seeking ways to rid themselves of the pain this group imparts on them. If only they could replace the revenue.”
Bunkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:55 PM   #92
Tex013

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

[Quote
I'm not sure where the bean counters are gonna say thats a money loser. I dont know any bracket racer that would pay a 170.00 entry fee to win 2000.00. I'm sorry for you IHRA guys, but with the field size, and filling quotas fast at National events, no-one can say that the lack of participants will kill NHRA class racing as was said about IHRA class racing last week prior to the bad news[/QUOTE]
LOL
You should try racing here in Australia . Bracket meet $180 entry $200 to win on the day , you may get free entry for following year if you win championship and a little more winning $ 2000.00 prize. National event $380 entry I think $750 or $1000 to win
You guys better look at the half full glass - not the half empty one

Tex
Tex013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:36 PM   #93
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,453 Times in 1,694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunkster View Post
Within this web site….

http://classracer.com/magazine/?p=6037

…is piece entitled “THE FUTURE OF STOCK ELIMINATOR IS IN YOUR HANDS” from last April.

Down in the comments from a Robert Cooper, is a biting, painful yet probably accurate description of this stock/super stock subject:

“Exactly who and where are these fans that relate?

While seemingly exciting for those that participate, and maybe even for family and friends that go along, this is an arcane endeavor that even the sanction tolerates for one reason and one reason only, competitors pay and pay.

Regardless of what the sanctioning body and equipment suppliers/builders choose to foist upon these regulars, they continue to show up, essentially to hang with the others that choose to show up and continue drag racing in this spectrum. Subsequent to spending massive amounts of money in some cases, many Stock racers have very little motivation to win the event they enter. If it happens, that’s wonderful but certainly not the main reason they attend. Qualifying at or near the the top is already a victory to many that compete. Beating a car next to you that happens to have the same letters on the window is another relished accomplishment. Never mind that drivers are making incredible efforts not perform at the maximum level the vehicle can achieve. No other racing option/sanction offers the credibility in the mind of the Stock racer and in support of this, they’re even on the same grounds with the big guy’s in many cases.

Nope. There aren’t any fans and quite frankly, you’ll never see facilities crowded simply to watch this class. I certainly enjoy watching Stock, although the definition of the term has gone far astray from its original intent and maybe not for the betterment of the class. watching Stock on Television will never offer any appeal. These cars are SLOW! Even the Factory cars are pooches after viewing the pro junk, using whatever name they associate with this kind lit grenade.

Keep in mind that many attendees that arrive to watch the mayhem displayed by these absurd pro category vehicles arrive in cars that can outperform cars competing in Stock Eliminator.

Stock was a gas. Now it’s faster that the Gasser’s……… and Modified’s and Pro Stocks of not all that long ago.

Enjoy track picnicking with friends of many years and enjoy a few passes from time to time as well but don’t deceive yourselves with regard to the appeal of Stock. Only the racers themselves give a hoot and the sanction is constantly seeking ways to rid themselves of the pain this group imparts on them. If only they could replace the revenue.”
A lot to disagree with here. I'll have to take it in stages.

When we did our nostalgic events, we always ran a S/SS combo too.
I would talk to people in between our events, and invariably, they'd ask if the Super Stockers would be back next time .
I never once had anyone ask if the Hot Rod II (no box) bracket cars would be back next time.
Just who are these spectators that are going to bail out the new IHRA? No box, 1/8 mile fans? I think not. So , in reality, are they just looking for big car counts?
This kind of thinking is c***-eyed, in my opinion.
Take a look at the Hot Rod Reunion or the South East Gassers' spectators count.
Yes , they're based on nostalgia, but then look at the demographic group that has the money to spend, as spectators.

Last edited by Mark Yacavone; 10-10-2017 at 08:46 PM.
Mark Yacavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:25 PM   #94
Phil Veldheer Racing

Liked 26 Times in 8 Posts

As a LONG TIME dedicated IHRA Stock class racer and car owner it made me mad and sad as I liked racing with the IHRA and I also liked the PEOPLE who were at the events working for the IHRA. I have had a fun time with them as I personally have set six IHRA records over ten years and won my class countless times. And over the last four years, my car with two other drivers has won FOUR events and has been a runner up at two events.
I chose racing in the crate motor class for something different. Believe me a record holding crate motor can cost just as much or more than a non-crate motor engine. I could see the hand writing on the wall as less and less cars showed up for events. Why? I have my thoughts but who cares...the future is now. Every fall I would call my good friend Bruce Parsons of Parsons & Myers Race Engines and tell him to save me a spot in line, just in case US 131 would switch to NHRA. If they did switch I would load my tired and outdated F/SA –NHRA-legal 350 and buzz on down to Dayton, OH. any get a freshen up to race in the NHRA again.
After thinking about this for a few days, I think I am going to stick with my crate motor as we are still able to race six events in the Great Lakes Stock-Super Stock Assn. and the NMCA races in Joliet and Indy. I am sure more options will appear soon.
As a former student and instructor for Dale Carnegie, I am going to follow the three C’s, don’t criticize, condemn or complain.
Phil Veldheer Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:23 PM   #95
Dave Turner
VIP Member

Liked 334 Times in 132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
A lot to disagree with here. I'll have to take it in stages.

When we did our nostalgic events, we always ran a S/SS combo too.
I would talk to people in between our events, and invariably, they'd ask if the Super Stockers would be back next time .
I never once had anyone ask if the Hot Rod II (no box) bracket cars would be back next time.
Just who are these spectators that are going to bail out the new IHRA? No box, 1/8 mile fans? I think not. So , in reality, are they just looking for big car counts?
This kind of thinking is c***-eyed, in my opinion.
Take a look at the Hot Rod Reunion or the South East Gassers' spectators count.
Yes , they're based on nostalgia, but then look at the demographic group that has the money to spend, as spectators.
Mark, the fans love entertainment value and I can attest to the fact that the Southeast Gassers serve it up large! We saw their show in Myrtle Beach last year and will probably take it in again this coming weekend. Fifteen bucks admission, all the unpredictable action you can handle, cool car names and.....BUGS!! The announcing is captivating and the cars are well prepared for the most part. My wife loved it, and that says it all. Who wouldn't want to cheer for a '56 Chevy called the "One Gone Dawg"??
Dave Turner #1153
Dave Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:34 PM   #96
Dave Turner
VIP Member

Liked 334 Times in 132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmotorsports View Post
This is terrible news for sure. But, shame on us as a Stock/Super Stock community for not supporting IHRA. IHRA welcomed us with open arms to run double events and virtually NO ONE showed up. I went to US131, Empire and Pittsburg this summer and the car counts at these IHRA-sanctioned races were unbelievably low.
Just last week I had a lengthy conversation with Scooter Peco from IHRA and he expressed the frustration from their end with the low car counts in Stock and Super Stock, as well as the other sportsman classes. No one can expect sponsors to continue to hand over money to classes when the car counts are so low.
Twenty years ago we started the Can-Am Stock/Super Stock Association and it has continued to thrive and grow as a local series. I also raced a Great Lakes Stock/Super Stock race at Milan this year. They, too, are continuing to grow. I know other similar associations exist all over the United States and Canada.
I suggest that we build on the strength of these independent, smaller associations by bringing them loosely together under the umbrella of the IHRA or NMCA, or whatever sanctioning body can make use of this idea. This could happen by allowing each regional association to have one or two sanctioned events, using the sanctioning body's points system to accumulate points towards one national champion at the end of the season. For example, in Division 3, include two races for the Buckeye Series, two races for the GLSSSA and two for the Can-Am S/SS Series,as part of each association's regular schedule. From these races, a Division Champion could be crowned wherever the sanctioning body holds its finals.
This idea wouldn't cost a sanctioning body any major money, but would strengthen both sides of the relationship.

Doug Box
You're on the right "track" DB....you could really get carried away and envision a championship tournament featuring the top "X" finishers from the regional series. Once the smoke cleared, an overall champion would be crowned. The same weekend could feature a Combo event for the non-qualifiers..... all kinds of possible scenarios.
Dave Turner #1153
Dave Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:57 PM   #97
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,453 Times in 1,694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Turner View Post
Mark, the fans love entertainment value and I can attest to the fact that the Southeast Gassers serve it up large! We saw their show in Myrtle Beach last year and will probably take it in again this coming weekend. Fifteen bucks admission, all the unpredictable action you can handle, cool car names and.....BUGS!! The announcing is captivating and the cars are well prepared for the most part. My wife loved it, and that says it all. Who wouldn't want to cheer for a '56 Chevy called the "One Gone Dawg"??
Dave, Quain Stott has done an amazing job with this group.
People come from all over the world, to watch.
They actually let the cars in free to race. The revenue all comes from the spectator gate.
Anybody want to try doing that with IHRA bracket racing?
Old 10-10-2017, 10:43 PM   #98
Jason McGinley 3383

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Everyone talking about I hope the IHRA guys can race NMCA....why? I raced at NMCA INDY this year and there were only 26 cars and no IHRA cars! So everyone that bitches about IHRA going out and how NHRA sucks where were you!? At home on your computer!!!!
Jason McGinley 3383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:14 PM   #99
russellauto1

Liked 40 Times in 6 Posts

Nobody from ihra was at indy because there was an IHRA race at Dragway 42 that weekend.
russellauto1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:52 AM   #100
Mike Schwartz

Liked 192 Times in 65 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1529 View Post
As a rule bracket racers do not travel to race. I don't see bracket racers supporting a 20 race series that you have to travel to compete. It will be interesting to see what this new format looks like when they finally announce the details.
I agree although I hope that proves different for the viability of the sport in general. Where I live, the closest track is 2 hours away, and all others are 3-4 plus. The bracket racers that I knew/know travel a little, but only two or three long trips a year and one of those was usually for the bracket finals.
Chris, I can't find the source of that quote, so I'll quote your quote of it.

There are certainly already more than 20 independent big money ("$10,000 to win" level) ET events scheduled through the year. Enough to consider creating an umbrella series of "national events" to bring them together for a championship.

As to whether Bracket Racers will travel to them, I'll bring up what happened at the Fall Fling in Bristol. For Friday's "$50,000 to win" race I counted 249 individual drivers entered (disregarding multiple entries or buy-backs). The drivers represented 29 different states and provinces, with 50 from NC and more than 20 each from PA, TN & VA). There are probably just a handful of LODRS races, and only one NHRA national event (Indy), that had as many overall combined SS & Stk entries.

Last edited by Mike Schwartz; 10-11-2017 at 02:54 AM. Reason: Clarity
Mike Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote