HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-27-2013, 10:13 AM   #21
Reed Granrt

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Engine break in and seating the rings????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Taylor 3601 View Post
one other thing I have'nt saw anyone mention is that your torque plate needs to be close to same bore as block,Mike @ BHJ recommended within .060'',I learned this after I did my 305 the first time and used 350 plates when I tore down first time looked like had'nt had used torque plates.
Alot of people don't realize how much a stock block changes when heads are torqued in,most cases you hone with torque plates then remove them and go back and recheck cylinder bore w/ bore gauge cylinders are screwed up,reinstall plates and torque they go back like they were when you honed them.
Mike Taylor 3601
Mike
One of the things that I have learned to look at with a torque plate is too make sure that the gasket fire ring is completely clamped by the torque plate. Many times I have run a gasket as close to the bore size as possible to gain compression. If the head clamps the gasket, then the torque plate must clamp the gasket. You will be surprised at how many do not look. Lay the gasket on the block, then flip over the torque plate and lay the gasket on it. You might be surprised, crap you might even shoooocked.
reed
Reed Granrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:06 AM   #22
rowdyboys31

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dan, I run a seal power moly top ring in my 350/455 Buick stocker motors. On a freshen-up[rehone,new rings and bearing], I use 30w oil Valvoline,castrol ,etc.with 16oz of Lucas break-in lube. I run the motor in the driveway for 5 or 10 minutes or one heat cycle, I set the timing and check for leaks,then check valve lash,etc. Off to the Dragstrip, I make 5 passes on break-in mix, Then change oil and filter to 0w20 Mobil 1 or Castrol 5w20 synthetic. JKeihn3954
rowdyboys31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:41 AM   #23
hemiman4262003

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was told years ago,engines broke in fast run fast,we rebuild diesels engines at work,we fire them up.idle a few min,then take them on road test
hemiman4262003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:38 PM   #24
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

One of the biggest things I have found is don't let it sit and idle before running it hard.