HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-28-2014, 09:06 PM   #11
joespanova

Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Default Re: Stick racers.......step in please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
How big of a tire are you running. I can tell you this much about my car, if it hooks , it will run slow, but get a good reation time. If it spins it will pick up 2 to 3 tenths. I only run a pro tree. .4. I set it up to hook, at least I try to. This past weekend, I slipped the clutch at the start, and I thought it slipped the tire then hooked. It was slipping the clutch. If I want to run fast bring up the r's on the starting line take some weight out of the back, slip.the tire some, and it will pick up a bunch. Just have to drive.to keep it in the groove. Lots of fun to drive.it this way. Lenco, with auto shifter.
I 've been leaving at 7000 and think its time to up it to 8000.
That and softer rear shock settings maybe?
joespanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:21 PM   #12
Everett Hill

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Go to a track that has some bite, Silver Dollar on a test & tune or weekly race does not have it. The wind blows a lot of sand on track, on Friday nights we blow the tires off in 4th gear. Commerce is not a lot better on a normal week.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:32 PM   #13
joespanova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett Hill View Post
Go to a track that has some bite, Silver Dollar on a test & tune or weekly race does not have it. The wind blows a lot of sand on track, on Friday nights we blow the tires off in 4th gear. Commerce is not a lot better on a normal week.
Everett , you blow the tires off in 4th gear? Man , thats some power........JK
I hear what you are saying , but I still have issues..........
Old 04-29-2014, 04:12 PM   #14
Maverick

Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts

I leave at 5700 right now, and we will move that around a little to get the 60 FOOT , where they need to be, so that the package will be close to the 9.9. 7000 sounds like you at the top of what you can get. I really don't believe that you will get a whole lot more, by bringing it out at 8. Are you hooking or spinning, are you carrying the front out? I would step back from the car and try to find a little more power. Slipping the clutch is ok, but I feel it is a slippery slope, to get it exactly the way you want. I would not push your package too much, just race it and enjoy it, especially if it will be consistent and RELIABLE. Man, you must be buzzing that thing at the finish line with a 5.86. Are you in high gear at the 330 ft mark? I had 5.43 gear and it ran good, but I am at 4.86 now, and it is almost too much. My cube is 352, 5 speed and I am in high gear before the eight mile, I like to spred the gear changes out as far as I can

Last edited by Maverick; 04-29-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:56 PM   #15
joespanova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
I leave at 5700 right now, and we will move that around a little to get the 60 FOOT , where they need to be, so that the package will be close to the 9.9. 7000 sounds like you at the top of what you can get. I really don't believe that you will get a whole lot more, by bringing it out at 8. Are you hooking or spinning, are you carrying the front out? I would step back from the car and try to find a little more power. Slipping the clutch is ok, but I feel it is a slippery slope, to get it exactly the way you want. I would not push your package too much, just race it and enjoy it, especially if it will be consistent and RELIABLE. Man, you must be buzzing that thing at the finish line with a 5.86. Are you in high gear at the 330 ft mark? I had 5.43 gear and it ran good, but I am at 4.86 now, and it is almost too much. My cube is 352, 5 speed and I am in high gear before the eight mile, I like to spred the gear changes out as far as I can
Little engines in old school configurations need to be spun to get the car to run........so far , over the winter , I had the heads modified by a reputable porter and it has produced nothing , nada , zip. The car runs the same as it did before he worked them?
I need the 1.29 or better 60 fts and I will work on it til I achieve it
Be it thru shocks , IC , pinion angle , clutch......whatever.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:57 AM   #16
randy wilson

Liked 21 Times in 21 Posts

Joe, your car is fast enough to turn a 1.35 into a 1.26, 1.27 60' easy. We ran high 9.60's, low 9.70's and ran several 1.28, and 1.29 60's We did better with the shocks set stiff in the rear, and front, and the limiters tied down to 1" travel. Same basic tire you're running, but a 6.20 gear, 3.39 low. Also a soft loc clutch. Your ladder bar set up is still very capable of 1.20's. And we are completely lost in the bell housing.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:58 PM   #17
joespanova

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy wilson View Post
Joe, your car is fast enough to turn a 1.35 into a 1.26, 1.27 60' easy. We ran high 9.60's, low 9.70's and ran several 1.28, and 1.29 60's We did better with the shocks set stiff in the rear, and front, and the limiters tied down to 1" travel. Same basic tire you're running, but a 6.20 gear, 3.39 low. Also a soft loc clutch. Your ladder bar set up is still very capable of 1.20's. And we are completely lost in the bell housing.
Randy , thats a lot of gear / gears.............what are / were you running , a comp eliminator combo? 10,000 thru the lights.......
Anyway , please show me how dumb I am and come fix it..........I'm gettin old and tired , but still willing LOL
BTW how much base did you run and are you clutch assisted?
Old 04-30-2014, 02:50 PM   #18
randy wilson

Liked 21 Times in 21 Posts

Joe, I'm the wrong guy to ask on clutches, chassis, etc. I'm barely smart on engines, but I will tell you what little I know. Yes, we were truly clutch assisted, clutching every gear. And sir, I made a mistake with the clutch deal. We were running the soft loc in the dart buick, which was 100 HP better then the iron head 291. it went 1.26 in 60. The runs we ran high 9's and 60 footed high 120's we were running a ram street strip rag, 30# steel fly wheel, and 1800# base. On the dart buick we ran sintered iron, aluminum 18# fly wheel, and i think 350 base. We ran better with the heavy pressure plate and fly wheel on the 630 HP motor, and ran better on the 720HP motor with the lite stuff. I know other people all run better with the lite stuff, but we never quite figured it out. And yes we go through the lights at above 10,000 in the 1\4. We also ran better leaving at 8,800 then we did leaving at 9,700. There's way smarter guys on here to help you with your 60 ft. then me.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:22 PM   #19
GTX JOHN
VIP Member

Liked 2,116 Times in 606 Posts

If it spins it will Pick up 2 or 3 TENTHS faster ET?
GTX JOHN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:01 PM   #20
Maverick

Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts

Yeah GTX John, you heard me right, it will pick up 2 to 3 tenths if it does not dead hook. This is a Super gas car, if I feel it spin the tires, I know I am going to be way fast, and have to pedal it at the big end. I have attempted to run hi 8's with it and it has to spin the tire, to even get close. Do you know any stock stick cars that dead hook and run.fast? I think even pro stock like to spin the tire some. Auto cars to me like to dead hook. Yeah it pulls the motor down on the launch, but it moves.
Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote