HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-15-2008, 09:41 AM   #1
MEXJOE

Liked 151 Times in 48 Posts
Question 1969 Camaro big block frame mounts?

Do I need to change from small to big block (motor) frame mounts ?
THE CAR HAD SMALL BLOCK AND POWER GLIDE IN IT
Thanks
MEXJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:56 AM   #2
al wisniewski

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: 1969 Camaro big block frame mounts?

Joe,if you are going to use aftermarket headers,then I would use the BB frame mounts. I believe Year One still has them.The mounts move the engine at tad for better clearance.
al wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:51 PM   #3
CrateCamaro

Liked 19 Times in 7 Posts

Proper big block mounts are 2 different heights. One is a tad taller than the other but im not 100% sure what side it is. Small block mounts will lower the motor down and back a bit if you can get the headers to fit. I would use AllStar block mounts...get the lowest ones possible. They are thicker than the Moroso mounts and wont bend as easy if you have an unexpected wheel stand. I've bent 3 sets of moroso mounts in my 9.50 street car. Hooker Super Comp seems to be the best header for a big block camaro/nova with no real clearence issuses.
CrateCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:24 PM   #4
my69396

Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts

i have a new set of big block frame mounts 67.50 to you door call 605-279-2827 thanks jerry
my69396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:16 PM   #5
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,702 Times in 520 Posts

In my 68 Camaro I switched from a small block to a big block then back to the small block. I used the same frame mounts and motor mounts and everything fit perfectly. I think the 69 frame and steering are identical.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:05 PM   #6
NovaMan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just put a big block in my '70 Nova a few weeks ago, using what are probably small block frame mounts. I have Hooker Super Comp 2 1/8" headers, and the only clearance problem was the shifter arm coming out of the automatic column. If you have tall valve covers with studs, your wiper motor may be in the way of removing them. I just took mine off since i don't drive in the rain anyway.
You can get the passenger side header in from the bottom with the motor in place easily, but you have to put the driver side header in with the motor. If you put the engine and trans in as an assembly, you'll probably have to get the engine roughly in place, and then put in whatever motor mounts you want to use, because it will probably be necessary to slide the engine and trans back into the tunnel - you can't raise the motor up high enough for the tabs on the motor mounts to clear the frame mounts.
I really like the way the engine sits in the subframe and engine bay with the frame mounts I have - it's as low as I would feel comfortable putting it, it's centered, it's level, and I like it. I can take pictures if you like.