HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-23-2022, 09:08 AM   #1
John DiBartolomeo

Liked 1,283 Times in 159 Posts
Default What Makes A Natural Driver?

I was listening to a podcast last week and they mentioned how a certain driver was a natural driver, which got me to thinking. I know, thinking isn’t always a good thing, but…

Not that I agreed or disagreed with this podcaster’s opinion naming this particular driver as a “natural driver,” but just what is a “natural driver?” Is it a person who wins races, championships? Or a person who can consistently cut good reaction times, or drive the finish line? Or just what?

For quite a few years, I taught the licensing course at the Doug Foley Drag Racing School. During that period, I would encounter quite a few students, most of which had no prior experience driving what were Super Comp/bracket dragsters. The majority were more or less thrill seekers looking to add to their resumes, with most I assumed never going to utilize that NHRA license. Obviously, we had a small percentage who were there for that exact reason and I can proudly say have gone on to be fairly successful in our sport. However, that majority lacked the experience at that particular time to be considered a natural driver. But again, I ask the question, “What makes a person a natural driver?”

In my opinion; and we all know that opinions are like certain parts of our anatomy – we all have one; a natural driver isn’t just a person who can cut lights, drive the finish line, win races and championships. While we only drive a quarter-mile at a time, there’s a lot more things happening during a run than those aforementioned four details.

In the 2011 movie Moneyball, Billy Beane’s family is explained by a scout that they rarely see recruits who have all five tools necessary; hitting for average, hitting for power, running, fielding and throwing; to make it in major league baseball. “Most of the youngsters in the league we have an interest in,” says Scout #2, “have one or two of the tools necessary and we’re hoping to develop an extra one.” Beane’s family was told he had all five. That didn’t transform him into a major league star though, because as it’s often said, s**t happens. And maybe the same thing happens in drag racing.

As far as I’m concerned, one of the most important “tools” a driver can possess is the ability to know exactly where they are on the race track. Between the years spent teaching along with my time on the starting line, I’ll often see a driver who in my opinion doesn’t fully comprehend where they may be on the track. This includes lining up on the starting line or backing up from a burnout; maybe considered to be that “seat-of-the-pants” feeling in knowing just where they are at all times. In addition, having a feel, or an ear for what the engine/trans/chassis is doing or telling you is another “tool” of importance.

Now do you have to have all the tools? No, some can be learned or taught, but having a good understanding of each can lead you to become a “natural driver.”

Just to reiterate a bit, to me a natural driver isn’t just one who can win races, although there are several drivers who for one reason or another, just simply have a knack for turning on win lights, even when the odds may be against them. Those drivers can certainly be considered “natural drivers.” But what about the thousands of others who have that great “seat-of-the-pants” feeling yet may not yet be considered as natural drivers because they haven’t won dozens of races and/or championships? Those guys and gals are still natural drivers to me, and once again my opinion, a lot of those drivers are hovering around in the bracket ranks. If experience is a key, then making a dozen or more passes a weekend can certainly be a benefit.

Okay, off my soapbox for now. Have to finish drinking my Artisan Coffee – or in my case their hot chocolate which I really like – but I gotta get back to work. What’s your opinion?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JD2_0022.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	61855  
John DiBartolomeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 12:34 PM   #2
Mike Taylor 3601
VIP Member

Liked 116 Times in 48 Posts
Default Re: What Makes A Natural Driver?

John,
That is a good question, and I don't know there is a right or wrong answer...
IMO... someone is a natural, the thing comes to mind is musical abilities...I have a cousin who her son is what I call a natural musician he just listened and completely by himself learned to play songs,by listening to them....she had asked about music lessons and my response was... no, he already knows how to play, so someone giving lessons would be like try to teach him to be left handed when he is right handed....
Mike Taylor 3601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 01:46 PM   #3
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 282 Times in 152 Posts

I think it all depends on what type of racing you do---If you are in any type of restricted or bracket type of racing track position awareness etc would be crucial--- if you are in a any other type of racing (non-bracket) where you have an unlimited ET etc. then I don't think its that important. Some drivers may seem to be more successful than others because of the number of laps they take, their FUNDING and maybe their overall superior equipment. I think LUCK plays a tremendous part of being successful also. The reason I say this is because in drag racing if your opponent makes the slightest mistake( red lights/horrible reaction time/lifts etc.) or has an equipment failure you win. Concentration before the race ,blotting everything else out of your mind being totally focused will help you be successful. Out of the thousands of people that do/have drag race/ed maybe one or 2 if that many can truly be considered a "NATURAL" --my opinion FED 387
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 02:37 PM   #4
Dan Bennett

Liked 377 Times in 87 Posts

I agree with John that's it's really hard to clearly define the term, but I am positive that "natural drivers" exist.

I worked for Roy Hill at a number of his schools. At a different level, I worked with some Pro Stock and Comp teams and studied the graphs on every run they made.

From the school experience, I learned that there are some people who would never be able to consistently do the necessary things, and others who could immediately correct a mistake on their next try and be perfect from then on.

Just pulling this out of my backside, I'm thinking that the two most important things are having a quick mind that can react instantly - and the ability to control your muscles to a very fine degree.

As for the luck part, I could not agree more. I saw tremendous driving skills from 3 or 4 drivers who could have been consistent winners in Pro Stock but things never fell together in the right way for them to do that. And I also saw some who were going have a very hard time qualifying let alone winning a round..

So natural drivers vs people who try really hard but just can't pull off all the things that need to happen.
Dan Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 09:17 AM   #5
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,774 Times in 868 Posts

Lot of really good observations, many of our great drivers (Jody comes to mind) will probably tell you that laps are what separate the good from the great. Having seen Don Carlton in action and hearing so many stories about his skill set I’d have to conclude that certain people are simply gifted beyond what we can even comprehend. How else can you explain a Mozart, Michelangelo, or Shakespeare? Also interesting that you can take a very good driver in certain Sportsman categories and see them flop in others despite all the advantages they enjoy (Troy Jr. comes to mind).

Me? I need laps, lots and lots of laps.
jmcarter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 11:22 AM   #6
Don Kennedy
VIP Member

Liked 808 Times in 216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Taylor 3601 View Post
John,
That is a good question, and I don't know there is a right or wrong answer...
IMO... someone is a natural, the thing comes to mind is musical abilities...I have a cousin who her son is what I call a natural musician he just listened and completely by himself learned to play songs,by listening to them....she had asked about music lessons and my response was... no, he already knows how to play, so someone giving lessons would be like try to teach him to be left handed when he is right handed....
What Makes A Natural Driver? Electronics?
Old 02-25-2022, 12:44 PM   #7
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,749 Times in 424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Kennedy View Post
What Makes A Natural Driver? Electronics?
You would still have to let go of the button at exactly the same time, every time.....
Liked
Old 02-25-2022, 12:47 PM   #8
copperhead

Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts

My opinion would be someone that can jump from discipline to discipline or class to class and still be successful.

A few examples...

A.J. Foyt
Mario Andretti
Jeg Couglin
Tony Stewart
Kyle Larson
Bo Butner
copperhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 02-25-2022, 01:31 PM   #9
SBillinson

Liked 167 Times in 47 Posts

I remember reading about Jeff Gordon when he began racing Cup. Yeah, I know, a lot of people don't like him, but that's not the point.

His crew chief said that he stood out because he was coachable and could explain what was going on with the car. Too tight, too loose, etc. He had a feel for the car and was aware of what was going on despite being a driver and not a mechanic.

Being able to cut a light consistently is one thing. Being aware of what's happening after the green is another. Feel and awareness is I think the key to being able to drive the finish line. If you've got both and are consistent at the tree, I think that makes a natural driver.