HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 02-21-2021, 03:51 AM   #21
GTX JOHN
VIP Member

Liked 1,790 Times in 571 Posts
Default Re: Well, I guess when it is in your blood........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Rolik View Post
Hi Larry,

They did of course take a bunch of HP off of this combo years ago because no one was running one. Most, including myself, went to a 340 low compression or 360. At max specs, with tuliped valve reliefs, the 71 340 is almost 12-1 compression. 2.02/1.60. Thermoquad carb. Positive deck engine but the piston perimeter is right up against the head so too much rpm and one will "kiss" the other for sure. LOL. Weber and others were very fast, at the old HP, BEFORE porting. To me, with properly done heads, current cam and header technology, and the ability to run a lower class at virtually the same weight, it should be very strong. Since I have been away for quite awhile, there certainly may be someone running one now, but I am not aware of that. Perhaps you have knowledge of such a scenario. I would love to be enlightened as I certainly may have missed much along the way!

Thanks,

Bill Rolik
My son Jon Jr. runs one in SS/KA = 71 Duster 340 Thermoquad.
He can run with anyone in his Class out in our part of the World!
GTX JOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 10:03 AM   #22
Frank Castros
VIP Member

Liked 2,071 Times in 765 Posts

383/343 is an awesome SS/GT combination and I'm not aware of anyone currently running it.

Last edited by Frank Castros; 02-21-2021 at 10:54 AM.
Frank Castros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 10:09 AM   #23
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,770 Times in 1,518 Posts

Welcome back Bill!

(you really need to do a Neon Stocker in your spare time!)

Make tech "TECH" again!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 11:01 AM   #24
Bill Rolik

Liked 47 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTX JOHN View Post
My son Jon Jr. runs one in SS/KA = 71 Duster 340 Thermoquad.
He can run with anyone in his Class out in our part of the World!

John,

Good stuff. Kick butt and take names!

Just curious: "X" heads or aluminum?

Bill Rolik
Bill Rolik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 11:07 AM   #25
Bill Rolik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
Welcome back Bill!

(you really need to do a Neon Stocker in your spare time!)

Billy,

IN MY SPARE TIME, and since my favorite car colors are red and white, why should I stop at ONE Neon? I think I will do one in EACH COLOR!

Bill Rolik

P.S. You can take Billy out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of Billy. Chop buster extraordinaire! LOL!
Old 02-21-2021, 11:33 AM   #26
Bill Rolik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hill View Post
What is the killer combo for the 71 340 in the E body?

Thanks

Hi Larry,

Referencing my earlier post as well, I had inquired along the way about taking over Bill Meerholz's SS/JA 71 Cuda, which I had driven before. Well built car with Dave Weber power. And again, that was BEFORE everything that is available today. Shaker hood as a bonus. Plus only 30 minutes away. However, Bill's son expressed interest in it with the intention of converting to Pro Street, and it is now, and has been, in his possession. The car has been idle, but his intentions are still the same. That car would have been my first choice, given the HP reductions, among other things. So, in short, my new acquisition will suffice! Rock on!

Bill Rolik
Old 02-22-2021, 11:17 AM   #27
r429469

Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts

Sorry for this, are W-2 heads legal for natural SS classes?

Or are they old news?

William Sands
r429469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 11:08 AM   #28
Eric Merryfield

Liked 471 Times in 114 Posts
Smile Re: Well, I guess when it is in your blood........

Quote:
Hi Larry,

Referencing my earlier post as well, I had inquired along the way about taking over Bill Meerholz's SS/JA 71 Cuda, which I had driven before. Well built car with Dave Weber power. And again, that was BEFORE everything that is available today. Shaker hood as a bonus. Plus only 30 minutes away. However, Bill's son expressed interest in it with the intention of converting to Pro Street, and it is now, and has been, in his possession. The car has been idle, but his intentions are still the same. That car would have been my first choice, given the HP reductions, among other things. So, in short, my new acquisition will suffice! Rock on!

Bill Rolik
Congrads on the purchase, since you need weight, to cover up the studio 54 Disco Color Scheme(which owner painted it that?), you might be best served getting it wrapped and save the $ and painting skills for the Cuda.

Re seats, even better than stock, dragpak viper seats(09), so comfy, its hard to even describe how nice they are.

The 2010 versions aren't quite as nice, they were Jegs seats, not leather but still real nice, not sure if they are still sold new, I have a new in the box pair in the attic if you need, I just acquired another set of 09 seats for the Dart/Duster.

Tim put sanhuffs on the front, so you should be able to launch and forget.

The 62 383 2-4 @ 330 is a extremely thought provoking motor.....super cool, but likely not as good of a combo and the 383-4 @ 304 , maybe cheaper to build?

Too bad about the Cuda, I think he will be reducing its value going the pro-street route.

Have fun and we'll see you in the lanes I'm sure.

Eric
Old 02-23-2021, 12:38 PM   #29
Bill Rolik

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the reply and the input.

I will be going with Tor-Red, the same color as my Challenger Scat Pack. Perhaps some stripes as well. The dealership where I purchased the car, and where I have done business for 30 years, has their own body shop, and they did the two-tone white roof addition on the Challenger before I took delivery. You can see a picture of it on my website under "Significant Rides". I am sure I can get some help on the paint for the Aspen. As far as the seats, I am picking up a set of factory tan buckets this weekend (original interior/dash pad was tan). If I ultimately do not go with them, perhaps I will ring you up on the Viper seats.

I also confirmed with Tim that it has the Santhuff shocks in the front. Good stuff. Everyone that I have talked to about them has offered high praise. Light years ahead of the stock shocks in my Duster with half of the fluid pumped out. That was cool at the time LOL. No negative issues, and a great working car overall. I sold the Duster in 96 to a gentleman in Detroit who was going to install a B1 big block and go street racing. I have tried repeatedly to find him, but with no luck. I have PAGES of improvements to work on for the Aspen, so I am proceeding slowly and methodically on that. Cage upgrade is probably the first significant work.

62 383/343? On paper, it looks like a total winner. I know of a car that ran this combo in SS/HA that is out there and has been sitting for decades. I was very close to going to check it out in person, but that would have been an "ALL IT NEEDS IS....EVERYTHING" deal, and MUCH more costly in the long haul. Maybe in my next life.

Yes, Bill's Cuda just sits. I do not know if his son will ultimately do anything in ANY form with it or not, but so far no. It is up to him. Very cool car.

Bill Rolik

P.S. I know it was supposed to be a secret, but I heard through the grapevine that you have the original Studio 54 disco ball. Come on, come clean now! LOL!

Last edited by Bill Rolik; 02-23-2021 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-23-2021, 01:36 PM   #30
GTX JOHN
VIP Member

Liked 1,790 Times in 571 Posts

Quote:
John,

Good stuff. Kick butt and take names!

Just curious: "X" heads or aluminum?

Bill Rolik
Neither.....

A late head modified to W2 Configuration

Paul the original owner painted it in his shop as I recall
many many Moons ago: I was way cool in those days.
He is on the forum regularly.

Last edited by GTX JOHN; 02-23-2021 at 01:38 PM.
GTX JOHN is offline   Reply With Quote