HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-23-2017, 10:01 PM   #4831
Stewart Way

Liked 70 Times in 21 Posts
Default Re: Original hemi dart information

I saw one of Kennys cars at Atlanta Speed Shop. I remember it being the tallest back end I ever saw on a Dart. Still leafs back then. As for the 2 EA's in Atl. The first that Terry Earwood won Indy with has been totally restored as original and was a featured car in BJ Scottsdale this winter but didn't meet the reserve. I talked to the owner before the auction but he didn't say what it was but it was no sale at 1+ M. Who new a $2400 used car would be worth. The second was owned by Mike Bogina but I don't know if it is still in his family since his death.
It was hard to get the 71 convert as heavy as the Mopar claimed so maybe a little weight might have been somewhere in the back half but I don't remember any bondo on rear renders. The interesting rear fenders were on the SS&DI or CarCraft SSDA Cuda that Randy Scott owned. The Legal Eagle. That car had 12.2W's with no frame rail work. E body folks know it won't fit but they did. Randy always said it just took the right offset wheels. Nooooo.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:32 AM   #4832
Tom Broome

Liked 70 Times in 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart Way View Post
I saw one of Kennys cars at Atlanta Speed Shop. I remember it being the tallest back end I ever saw on a Dart. Still leafs back then. As for the 2 EA's in Atl. The first that Terry Earwood won Indy with has been totally restored as original and was a featured car in BJ Scottsdale this winter but didn't meet the reserve. I talked to the owner before the auction but he didn't say what it was but it was no sale at 1+ M. Who new a $2400 used car would be worth. The second was owned by Mike Bogina but I don't know if it is still in his family since his death.
It was hard to get the 71 convert as heavy as the Mopar claimed so maybe a little weight might have been somewhere in the back half but I don't remember any bondo on rear renders. The interesting rear fenders were on the SS&DI or CarCraft SSDA Cuda that Randy Scott owned. The Legal Eagle. That car had 12.2W's with no frame rail work. E body folks know it won't fit but they did. Randy always said it just took the right offset wheels. Nooooo.
Stewart you just KNEW you could get me started.
Steve,I didn't say it was or wasn't Kenny Nichols. I just said I wasn't doing Kenny Nichols stories.
We do know who was involved in the Car Craft Legal Eagle project don't we. See a trend there?
I always heard the SS/EA with bogus quarter panels was from up North. There is a body filler heavier than Bondo. Something about quarter skins?
Tom Broome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:58 AM   #4833
Frito

Liked 116 Times in 38 Posts

Quote:
Ask Earwood about the bondo. LOL Mike B said when he removed the gas tank he was laying under it and it almost crushed him. He replaced the quarters and lost 15 pounds.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:43 PM   #4834
Stewart Way

I had moved to Colorado by the time the 2nd EA was built I think. Don't know alot about it. I ran into Terry Earwood last week at a Skip Barber liquidation sale near Road Atlanta. Still great to hear his stories. I may need to have him educate me a little next time I see him.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:18 AM   #4835
Liteweight
VIP Member

Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frito View Post
There was an Atlanta SS/EA car that would hook on ice. Thanks to the hidden weight box in the top of the gas tank (before fuel cells) and quarter panels beat in and filled with bondo.
Was that a certain black Challenger rag top Frito?

liteweight
Liteweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:51 AM   #4836
Liteweight
VIP Member

Quote:
This one Stewart?

liteweight

Old 09-25-2017, 12:07 PM   #4837
Liteweight
VIP Member

liteweight
Old 09-25-2017, 12:31 PM   #4838
Stewart Way

Not sure. Looks a little low in the back.
In 1971 I had a 68 dart GTS 340 4sp car but I wanted a SS clone. Barnett had changed his dart to a 70-71 as did Whisnant for Pro Stock so I got the K member and brake setup and headers from Warren and the front fenders and hood from Reid and built a clone for the street. Hemi with crossram and holleys from Bill Tanner, 12.5-1 piston and an Isky cam. Had to carry extra plus due to fouling but it was fun. Had 3.23 and 4.89 chunks. Got drafted in 72 sold it and never heard of the car again. For about a year, that was my only car. I was in college so I didn't drive a lot.
I was working for Buster Couch in Div ll and we had a race in Nashville, think it was an Honest Charlie National Open. Mike Couch and I drove up in the dart. Mike was around 17 and had a 69 Charger RT 440 but it was in the shop. All I heard about all the way up was how fast his Charger was so when we left the track I decided to shut him up. Got on the ramp to the interstate and I turned it loose. I was not going to lift until Mike said something. Finally somewhere north of 100 Mike said he thought maybe the dart was a "little" faster than the Charger.
I did the build in the back of Barnetts shop and one afternoon I went to work on it and Earwood had borrowed my valve covers for an undisclosed reason so I was down
until a new set arrived. Part of my free rent I guess.
Those were fun times.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:43 PM   #4839
Liteweight
VIP Member

Remeber anything on this one Stewart.
Reportedly in Barnetts back yard back in late 60's????. Kirk Barnett does not
Note Ronnies RO behind it

liteweight

Old 09-25-2017, 02:13 PM   #4840
Stewart Way

I'm with Kirk. Doesn't ring a bell. Only green one I remember was Wayne Daukin (sp) modified but I think his was Bill Tanners dart.